molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints

Thanks as well for the tips.
I'm as well interested by some experience feedback.

About the drying time, how long would you recommend before clear coating it? I read between 48h and 4 days..

Is the white fogging the air flow drying it to quick you think?

Probably. The solvent evaporates before the metallic particles settle correctly, thereby ruining the reflectivity.

Thanks as well for the tips.
I'm as well interested by some experience feedback.

About the drying time, how long would you recommend before clear coating it? I read between 48h and 4 days..

That sounds about right depending on how thick you lay it on.

I've been having a play with getting a good gold effect. I think this combination came out best.
View attachment 827650

And next to my wedding ring for comparison
View attachment 827651
That's molotow sprayed at approx 17psi with a fine top coat of Tamiya clear orange x-26. The clear orange was thinned with Tamiya acrylic thinners x-20A at about 1:1, sprayed at the same psi. I was pushed for time, so it was a quickly run test, I will refine it a bit and take a bit more time.
I have found this method to be difficult to replicate consistently. The Tamiya paints just seem to behave differently every time i try it, and my airbrush hates it. Hell of a clean up job everytime.

So Ive found Alclad candy golden yellow. This stuff is awesome.
20181010_132852.jpg
Molotow, left to cure for a few days and a light coat of Alclsd Klear Kote to seal. Then hit with the gold candy yellow at 20psi from about 3" distance with fairly swift strokes.

The 2 highlighted spoons I mixed with Alclad transparent red just to play with it. That was 4drops red to 20 drops gold yellow. Its quite subtle but obviously can be altered to taste.

Ive just used it on my Cross of Coronado project and very happy with it.
20181010_184531.jpg

Yeah, Alclad's candy is great. Been using it myself because I don't like Alclad's gold tones at all for a real shiny look. You actually don't need to seal the Molotow before shooting it with the candy. (If you want it durable though, I still recommend using a 2-part urethane clear on it. (If you get a compatible candy to use with the urethane, you can skip the Alclad altogether. I did it that way with a couple white metal replicas a few years ago and the surface was rock-hard.

Yeah, Alclad's candy is great. Been using it myself because I don't like Alclad's gold tones at all for a real shiny look. You actually don't need to seal the Molotow before shooting it with the candy. (If you want it durable though, I still recommend using a 2-part urethane clear on it. (If you get a compatible candy to use with the urethane, you can skip the Alclad altogether. I did it that way with a couple white metal replicas a few years ago and the surface was rock-hard.
Any recomendations on 2 part lacquers for airbrushes?

Ive seen good candy tints for car sprayers used to do 3P0s, not sure if they'd go through an airbrush or be too thick.

Any recomendations on 2 part lacquers for airbrushes?

Ive seen good candy tints for car sprayers used to do 3P0s, not sure if they'd go through an airbrush or be too thick.

I've been using UFC35 (I think it's called) from House of Kolor. Goes through an airbrush easily and preserves the metallic shine almost perfectly. (Just be thorough with the cleanup afterward... and do wear a proper filtered breathing mask! Goggles too if you can.)

I've been using UFC35 (I think it's called) from House of Kolor. Goes through an airbrush easily and preserves the metallic shine almost perfectly. (Just be thorough with the cleanup afterward... and do wear a proper filtered breathing mask! Goggles too if you can.)

Thanks for the tip, something special to clean up the UFC-35 ?

Thought I'd just throw these pics in to highlight the molotow, doesn't really warrant it's own thread.
Just finished a 3D printed angel blade from Supernatural. Smoothed out and hit with molotow through the airbrush, left for a week+ then a few light coats alclad klear Kote.

ab1.jpg
ab3.jpg
ab4.jpg

It just wants to bounce light off itself, took this one to show how reflective it is.
ab6.jpg

Also used it with candy gold yellow (outlined in previous post) on my coronado cross project.
cc.jpg

ab1.jpg

ab3.jpg

ab4.jpg

ab6.jpg

cc.jpg

Just watched this:
...and as I have a T-800 paintjob coming up, I'm very desperate to know if anyone can confirm that they got the Molotow sealed succesfully with a 2-component urethane coat (or anything else really).
I'm kind of tempted towards Alclad otherwise, but the chrome just does not look as nice...
(this guy used the aclaimed Alclad II chrome on his, for example:)

Thought I'd just throw these pics in to highlight the molotow, doesn't really warrant it's own thread.
Also used it with candy gold yellow (outlined in previous post) on my coronado cross project.

View attachment 849714

Hey! I know this thread is a bit old, but I was wondering if you could give me some advice here, the gold color on your cross came out phenomenal!!

So you hit it with Molotow, cure for 2 days or so, hit it with the candy gold by Alclad and let that dry? Or do you clear that candy gold as suggested? Do you think I could add a drop of green to that candy gold to bring out a richer gold tone? Thanks a ton man, again this came out awesome!!

And an update for anyone, apparently Liquitex High Gloss Varnish can seal Molotow pretty well and not mess up the clear very bad.

View attachment 848123
Molotow, left to cure for a few days and a light coat of Alclsd Klear Kote to seal. Then hit with the gold candy yellow at 20psi from about 3" distance with fairly swift strokes.

The 2 highlighted spoons I mixed with Alclad transparent red just to play with it. That was 4drops red to 20 drops gold yellow. Its quite subtle but obviously can be altered to taste.

Ive just used it on my Cross of Coronado project and very happy with it.
View attachment 848124

One more question about this process, if you don’t mind :)

When you say you “highlighted” the spoons and did the mix as shown above, did you mix the red into the candy gold layer, or mix it into a clear coat and apply after? Again thanks a ton!

Thanks.

I did clear coat the candy gold finish, with alclad KearKote 2 gloss. As someone said earlier it may not need it as the candy gold is enamel. Definitly experiment on a couple of spoons first. It doesn't harm the finish as any shine that will be lost from the Molotow will be lost at the candy coat stage and is minimal.

I added alclad transparent red to play with it and it had no adverse effects to the finish. It mixed perfectly fine together. I think if you used a transparent green you shouldnt have any problems. I dont know for sure, and would defer to anyone here with more experience, but I would worry that a non transparent paint mixed in may effect the translucency of the candy gold.
I'm not big into paint or know a lot about compositions etc so I try to keep everything the same, in terms of brands when I mix colours. Alclad do a transparent and candy green, so I would think they will work.
Please post any results if you try it, would love to see how it comes out.

I tried the liquitex, it was too thick to go through my airbrush and resulted in a big clean up job. If anyone knows how to thin it effectively, please let us know.
I did try Gordon Tarperly's method of brushing liquitex mixed with red an yellow food colouring over the molotow but couldnt get a satisfactory finish.
Hey! I know this thread is a bit old, but I was wondering if you could give me some advice here, the gold color on your cross came out phenomenal!!

So you hit it with Molotow, cure for 2 days or so, hit it with the candy gold by Alclad and let that dry? Or do you clear that candy gold as suggested? Do you think I could add a drop of green to that candy gold to bring out a richer gold tone? Thanks a ton man, again this came out awesome!!

And an update for anyone, apparently Liquitex High Gloss Varnish can seal Molotow pretty well and not mess up the clear very bad.

One more question about this process, if you don’t mind :)

When you say you “highlighted” the spoons and did the mix as shown above, did you mix the red into the candy gold layer, or mix it into a clear coat and apply after? Again thanks a ton!
I mixed the red into the candy gold.
By highlighted, I meant the 2 spoons that I bracketed in red in the pic.

I've had good results with the Molotow and want to try something now to seal it, I have the Alclad II ALC310 Gloss Klear Kote, is there any suggestions for thinning it out, or does it spray straight on neat ?

"ah, I've just read that it's used straight from the bottle"

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back