Jurassic Park Cryocan - New Detail Found?

robbytherobot

Hey guys, currently in the process of building a cryocan, I've been scouring the Blu-Ray for any and all clear pics of the can, rack, and tubes, and I noticed something that never gets mentioned, and have never seen on any of the existing replicas, not even Rylo's. There's a conical section on top of the lower disk of the rack, drilled through, where the replicas are all flat. It's not well shown but you can first see it for a few frames when Dodgson puts it away.

23be82fe-4f57-40f2-ae6a-e8e0e0ce2e7a.png

You can see the profile better when Nedry starts filling it with tubes.

JURASSIC_PARK_DOM.theatrical.m2ts_snapshot_00.57.08_[2018.07.10_23.34.34]e.jpg

There's also a closeup where one of the branches joins the disk.

23ce1101-acb0-4d8c-85ce-b556eefdaf2b.png

Not sure if this is usually left out because of the difficulty of machining it or if it's just gone unnoticed all these years. Like I said, it only appears for a few frames here and there, and it's almost impossible to see with the tubes in. But it's kind of a significant detail! I can't be the first to have noticed this, right?

I've also noticed that the bottom of the can is concave like a regular aerosol can, not flat, and seems to have a lot number/date etc. printed in the center. It does have to get through customs, after all...

JURASSIC_PARK_DOM.theatrical.m2ts_snapshot_00.14.30_[2018.07.10_22.52.38].jpg

Last edited:
Anyone know if the props are still up at AMC Citywalk? It's sitting on clear plexi, would be nice if someone could snap a couple pics from below to see what the bottom is like. If I was still in LA, I'd do it but I'm in San Francisco now.

I need to watch it again, but I think the concave bottom may be a real barbasol can in one shot, then they cut to the custom prop can that opens with the rack, and then cut back to the real can to squirt the shaving cream. But perhaps I am not remembering the order of the edits correctly. I'll check tonight. It would be good if the original is displayed on a transparent shelf!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's at least partially concave. You can see the bottom in either the shot where Dodgson pulls out the rack, or the one where he puts it back in. You can also see when Nedry takes it out that it at least has a lip around the bottom. Also the prop at AMC Citywalk has what looks like a real, rusty can bottom underneath. We think that is the real thing. I'll post pics later.

I need to watch it again, but I think the concave bottom may be a real barbasol can in one shot, then they cut to the custom prop can that opens with the rack, and then cut back to the real can to squirt the shaving cream. But perhaps I am not remembering the order of the edits correctly. I'll check tonight. It would be good if the original is displayed in a transparent shelf!

Last edited:
you can see in this photo the base is off centre this would indicate that its a shaving can bottom that has been glued on and it was off centre abit

FullSizeRender(17).jpg

I need to watch it again, but I think the concave bottom may be a real barbasol can in one shot, then they cut to the custom prop can that opens with the rack,
and then cut back to the real can to squirt the shaving cream. But perhaps I am not remembering the order of the edits correctly. I'll check tonight. It would be good if the original is displayed on a transparent shelf!

Ok, here's why I think the bottom is curved on all the screen used props. Let me preface all this by saying that I do CG for a living, specializing in lighting, so it's my job to have a good understanding of why things look the way they do when light hits different kinds of topology. I've also worked in film my entire career, so I have a lot of experience with finding match frames and scrutinizing composition. That explains the anal retentiveness that follows. :)

The first one is kind of a no brainer since it's so well lit, and we see a piece of curved text on the bottom like a date or lot number. This should usually be printed close to center, so the fact that it looks close to the edge tells me that it's on a concave surface.

curvedBottom01.jpg

In the same shot, Dodgson starts to unscrew the bottom. I don't think he's miming this because we see the metal part start to come out. I believe this is the same as the prop in the next shot -- why make a separate prop where only the bottom of the can comes off?

curvedBottom02.jpg

In the next shot the cryo unit comes out. Lighting is pretty flat here because Dodgson's hand is blocking all reflections, but you can see a bit of text on the bottom that shifts drastically in position as Dodgson tilts the unit toward Nedry. You don't get that much of a parallax effect unless the bottom is concave or at least fairly recessed from the edge. Here I show the same effect on my Lucerne whipped cream can (which BTW has the same diameter and metal top as the vintage Barbasol can, so I assume it has a similar concave bottom.)

curvedBottom03.jpg

The next time we see the can opened by Nedry, you can see a frame of the bottom. The inside edge is clearly lit by the same kind of reflection you always get on a concave can. Note the highlight on both the lip and the adjacent concave edge. You don't get that on a flat bottom.

curvedBottom04.jpg

Finally, I think the 2 shots of Dodgson bringing out the can, and then putting the cryo unit back in were shot in one continuous take, with the reverse angles of Nedry cut in between. The camera doesn't move an inch, the edge of Dodgson's chair lines up with the same straw in his hat in both shots, and the lady in the BG doesn't budge. She's not just in the same position, she's in the same exact pose, perfectly lined up with the bottles on the table! You could switch props if you had everyone, cast and crew, freeze in place while someone brought in a different can, but why bother? I think it's the same prop all the way through the shots taken from that angle.

curvedBottom05.jpg

What do you think?

Last edited:
I'm sold. I wish I had 4k capability, but I rewatched the scene in HD last night and noticed Dodson opening the can after showing a glimpse of the rimmed bottom was one shot. I was probably thinking of the real can for the squirt shot, which was probably the only non-rack can shot that was inserted . Are your captures from HD or 4K? I will try to capture from my 4K itunes tonight just to see if it can be done. So, assuming a concave bottom piece from a real can was adhered to the bottom of the rack base, the base was hollowed out a bit to accommodate it, correct?

I'm sold. I wish I had 4k capability, but I rewatched the scene in HD last night and noticed Dodson opening the can after showing a glimpse of the rimmed bottom was one shot. I was probably thinking of the real can for the squirt shot, which was probably the only non-rack can shot that was inserted . Are your captures from HD or 4K? I will try to capture from my 4K itunes tonight just to see if it can be done. So, assuming a concave bottom piece from a real can was adhered to the bottom of the rack base, the base was hollowed out a bit to accommodate it, correct?

I assume it was hollow. My bluray is HD, don't have the 4k since I don't have a screen for it.

Grabbed some caps of my own; already seen, but maybe these are useful, too?

Note the hole in the conical portion, perhaps for a set screw?

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2018-07-30-08h00m53s570.png
    vlcsnap-2018-07-30-08h00m53s570.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 692
  • vlcsnap-2018-07-30-07h59m01s264.png
    vlcsnap-2018-07-30-07h59m01s264.png
    394.9 KB · Views: 439
  • vlcsnap-2018-07-30-07h56m47s478.png
    vlcsnap-2018-07-30-07h56m47s478.png
    761 KB · Views: 524
  • vlcsnap-2018-07-30-07h56m06s504.png
    vlcsnap-2018-07-30-07h56m06s504.png
    291.8 KB · Views: 378
  • vlcsnap-2018-07-30-07h55m52s279.png
    vlcsnap-2018-07-30-07h55m52s279.png
    894.2 KB · Views: 486
Wow. It's amazing how after all this time we're suddenly seeing something new. I wonder if a bunch of old style replicas will flood the market now that they've been made outdated.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2018-07-31-21h19m06s454a.jpg
    vlcsnap-2018-07-31-21h19m06s454a.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 468
  • vlcsnap-2018-07-31-21h20m18s202a.jpg
    vlcsnap-2018-07-31-21h20m18s202a.jpg
    826.2 KB · Views: 660
  • vlcsnap-2018-07-31-21h22m19s497a.jpg
    vlcsnap-2018-07-31-21h22m19s497a.jpg
    1,017.2 KB · Views: 471
  • vlcsnap-2018-07-31-21h22m49s397a.jpg
    vlcsnap-2018-07-31-21h22m49s397a.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 876

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back