Star Wars stand alone films on hold...

The only difference from the actual film would be the lack of a force projection, I would have been able to ignore alot if he had actually showed up in person (with his green saber and looking his actual age). I just rewatched his final scene and the confrontation is just disappointing. TLJ is on Netflix now so I thought about trying to watch it again but that scene made me think I'll wait until September when I'll HAVE to do a SW marathon at a family reunion.
Never thought I would see the day hearing about impending dread and having to sit through a star wars marathon. That sucks.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that would have been incredibly trite and predictable if it had gone that way. ::Shrug::
Yeah, and it would have been freaking awesome. Just like how rogue one pretty much was a snoozefest until the very end with Vader, that was the only redeeming quality of that movie, and it made me not like it a little less. But hey, youre entitled to your opinion yadda yadda yadda...

I also don't think that Star Wars should be making films just to make films and keep the brand in the spotlight. Star Wars should be a story-driven enterprise, not a brand-driven enterprise. By all means, let's have the stories benefit the brand, but first and foremost, it has about telling good stories.

Star Wars hasn't been a Brand-Driven enterprise since '83. Story telling took a back seat to merchandising, Spaceballs made that perfectly clear

Lucas may have attempted to bring story telling back in the Prequels, but sadly, he's a better idea man than a script man, and the films showed that.

As far as Disney SW movies, they've got to run out as many as they can to recoup the four billion dollar purchase price. Up til now, Star Wars, for good or ill, made money. Boatloads of money. Whether the films were good or not, they made money.

Though I liked TFA, R1, and Solo, they all had their issues. Story telling isn't the priority it was in '77 for the franchise.

Pretty sure they've recouped the purchase price or are damn close to it now. First flick push 2B, second crossed 1B, R1 didn't do too poorly. And none of that includes anything but ticket prices. George secured a billion dollar license deal from the prequels before the first one hit the screen. Don't think disney topped that, easily?

Pretty sure they've recouped the purchase price or are damn close to it now. First flick push 2B, second crossed 1B, R1 didn't do too poorly. And none of that includes anything but ticket prices. George secured a billion dollar license deal from the prequels before the first one hit the screen. Don't think disney topped that, easily?

Disneyland and DisneyWorld are both getting huge Star Wars expansions to the tune of a billion dollars for each expansion. It's not just a money in money out movie budget plan. That's why they released Solo even though it was in the hole... for brand awareness. (Though it underperforming was no doubt a hiccup.)

Those numbers seem impressive but you did`nt factor in the cost of production and marketing and especially the theatre owners cut from ticket revenue, which depending on arrangement can be as much as 50% and of course there are taxation responsibilities that have to be met. Given that the toy market for Star Wars has totally collapsed and the companies involved will be re negotiating licence fees now is absolutely the wrong time for interest and revenue in Star Wars to be heading south at an alarming rate.

In regards to the theme parks, history is littered with the "Build it and they may not come" principle. Solo has been a disaster for Disney on every level and in every measure apart from some favorable reviews, it is an utter failure. Star Wars movies are not supposed to lose the company money.

ZACTLY!

Assuming that the movies didn't cost any money to produce, advertise, etc.. Yeah, the raw numbers look great!

Figure in the actual cost to take it to market, pay everybody, advertise, and the percentage you get from ticket sales, the sheer drop off in sales once folks realized it was crap, the cost of making and distributing toys that you can't sell at 70% off, and suddenly, miraculously, the 4 Billion they spent to BuY Star Wars, let's you know that Disney spent a lot of money to destroy something.

But people who understand how to run a business don't seem to like TLJ and the crappy direction Disney has taken...go figure

In regards to the theme parks, history is littered with the "Build it and they may not come" principle. Solo has been a disaster for Disney on every level and in every measure apart from some favorable reviews, it is an utter failure. Star Wars movies are not supposed to lose the company money.

Are you really saying that Solo's box office failure is going to in some way damage the popularity of the park expansions? Sir, I've disagreed with you on a lot but this is the first time I'd say you're just flat out wrong. There's no way in hell that those parks don't continue to have huge visitor numbers. I've not researched it, but from one state over the common notion is that there aren't any more 'quiet days' to visit Disneyland. It's always packed and you just roll the dice.

I remember we used to have someone here who presented factual and sound financial info when it came to this stuff and people often criticized him for it. They would even attack him for bringing economics into a discussion of "art". Now everyone's an expert. Funny that.

Are you really saying that Solo's box office failure is going to in some way damage the popularity of the park expansions? Sir, I've disagreed with you on a lot but this is the first time I'd say you're just flat out wrong. There's no way in hell that those parks don't continue to have huge visitor numbers. I've not researched it, but from one state over the common notion is that there aren't any more 'quiet days' to visit Disneyland. It's always packed and you just roll the dice.

If you took out of my post that I think the whole park is at risk then you really need to think twice before posting. Star Wars is on a downward trend and its only logical to think that an investment in a billion dollar attraction is not likely to bring in a huge amount of new people to see it. Themed attractions do get canned or radically changed all the time actually.

JoeG, you should stick to just being "that GIF guy"

Last edited by a moderator:
If you took out of my post that I think the whole park is at risk then you really need to think twice before posting. Star Wars is on a downward trend and its only logical to think that an investment in a billion dollar attraction is not likely to bring in a huge amount of new people to see it. Themed attractions do get canned or radically changed all the time actually.

@JoeG, you should stick to just being "that GIF guy"
I personally think that combining the Star Wars section in the same park with the new Toy Story Land, it will draw huge crowds.

@JoeG, you should stick to just being "that GIF guy"

That's why I referred to the Star Wars expansions specifically.
First, a single box office disappointment is by definition not a trend. Whatever you think of TLJ's quality, it is well over $1 billion globally.
Second, are you implying that you think folks will see a near to life size AT-AT, shrug their shoulders with a resounding meh and walk past the Star Wars section?

How many times does TLJ box office result have to be explained..LOL. Again, read what I post, Well once your in the gate, your obviously are going to see all you can as you paid for it anyway. Gezz.

I remember we used to have someone here who presented factual and sound financial info when it came to this stuff and people often criticized him for it. They would even attack him for bringing economics into a discussion of "art". Now everyone's an expert. Funny that.
Yeah dude we all know you guys were buds :rolleyes, but looks like he pissed the wrong people off too many times and got squashed. Can only be a jerk for so long. "Attack". Can you be more dramatic? :facepalm

But I gotta agree with Paul Andrew there is no way the solo snafu is going to be a problem AT ALL regarding the parks attendance. As a season pass holder, and the brother of a disneyland fanatic, he is right. There are no more "off days" anymore. Its packed to the gills, and a tad less packed on a wednesday in the fall. They keep raising prices to try to "deter" people from going and the park is STILL at capacity every day. When Galaxys edge opens, its going to be insanity.

Well, the fail in logic comes in with the implication that the SW parks will increase attendance, long term, in a clear and noticeable way. I'm sure it will in the beginning, but it will become simply 'part of the park' in a year after opening if IX fails to deliver. Personally, i was flipping out when it was announced and my desire has gone down with nearly every update since on how it's going to be mainly ST stuff. I know not 100%, but pretty much the vast majority. Kids - whom the assumption is that why people will come - to bring their kids, doesn't really hold up because today's kids are not flipping out over this stuff the way we did in the 70's/80's or even the kids of the 90's with the prequels. That billion dollar box office is coming overwhelmingly from the established fan base. I'd say easily 80/20 or better. But...they're catering to the minority by focusing it the ST.

If you want to focus the parks on that aspect, that's their call. However, you better me making something that will bring in new fans in droves, and frankly, they aren't. I'm very interested in the numbers for 9 when it releases because damage has been done and as of now, there's not a compelling reason for 9. There's nothing that simply has to be resolved. No built in 'oh i gotta see it, i gotta know how it ends' to help sell tickets.

The FO is lame...long life the Empire!

Well, the fail in logic comes in with the implication that the SW parks will increase attendance, long term, in a clear and noticeable way.

I'm a lifelong Disneypark fan AND Star Wars fan. and I can't get my head around that. The parks are ever evolving, but the idea of media cross-over is a relative new one. Outside of Fantasyland representing Disney's animated films, and occasional pop up appearances, for most of Disney parks history they have gone with evergreen themes. Post Pirates of the Caribbean's success as a film franchise, there are more and more tie ins.

Star Tours and the Indiana Jones Ride were around for decades before the purchase and both remained super popular even in eras when there were no movies to support them... but an entire LAND dedicated to Star Wars is a bold move. But that is exactly why one movie bombing isn't going to dissuade them, they want to keep the IP relevant.

I don't see a world where Star Wars is suddenly non-stop bomb central, but even I wonder about Star Wars land 10 or even 20 years from now.

I'm a lifelong Disneypark fan AND Star Wars fan. and I can't get my head around that. The parks are ever evolving, but the idea of media cross-over is a relative new one. Outside of Fantasyland representing Disney's animated films, and occasional pop up appearances, for most of Disney parks history they have gone with evergreen themes. Post Pirates of the Caribbean's success as a film franchise, there are more and more tie ins.

Star Tours and the Indiana Jones Ride were around for decades before the purchase and both remained super popular even in eras when there were no movies to support them... but an entire LAND dedicated to Star Wars is a bold move. But that is exactly why one movie bombing isn't going to dissuade them, they want to keep the IP relevant.

I don't see a world where Star Wars is suddenly non-stop bomb central, but even I wonder about Star Wars land 10 or even 20 years from now.
Probably about as popular as Harry Potter land at Universal Orlando, which was packed when I went back in March, 2017.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back