Post a Photo of You from the Year when you saw your very first Star Wars film!

Just got this from my parents at X-mas. Video is from my participation as Chewbacca at our city's "Troy Daze Parade" in 1978. It was a 90 degree day and I am wearing a costume my mom made from scratch for me the year before for Halloween. I guess you can say its my first Cosplay event at the age of 13. I was asked to participate after someone had seen my costume and they were doing a sort of Star Wars float along with the coneheads :) You can see me at the end with my costume off wearing the typical Star Wars t-shirt of the dayhttps://youtu.be/6y8nEpR6634

View attachment 572992

That's really far out!!

Just got this from my parents at X-mas. Video is of my participation as Chewbacca at our city's "Troy Daze Parade" in 1978. It was a 90 degree day and I am wearing a costume my mom made from scratch for me the year before for Halloween. I guess you can say its my first Cosplay event at the age of 13. I was asked to participate after someone had seen my costume and they were doing a sort of Star Wars float along with the coneheads :) You can see me at the end with my costume off wearing the typical Star Wars t-shirt of the dayhttps://youtu.be/6y8nEpR6634

View attachment 572992

Dude, that is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing that! My favorite is the last 30 seconds, where you're giving out autographs to little kids! lol Chewie is such a rock star!!

Btw, is "Troy" your home town? Where is it?

The Wook

Dude, that is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing that! My favorite is the last 30 seconds, where you're giving out autographs to little kids! lol Chewie is such a rock star!!

Btw, is "Troy" your home town? Where is it?

The Wook

Yeah, my gloves were so large I couldn't grip pencils very well and it took forever. Then I got left behind.:) I eventually started taking my gloves off. My mom learned to sew making that costume, it is the best mini Chewbacca costume ever. Still have the mask and bandoleer, not sure if I have the costume.

Troy is where I grew up, just north of Detroit. I now live on the other side of the state. It looks like Troy still has the "Troy Daze" parade and fair every year.

In 1977, I was twelve. Biked to the Glendale Theatre on opening day to see the movie and was hooked on it as a die hard Star Wars fan.
Photo_Scan.jpg

I must have been nine...

Saw it on a cross-country road trip when my parents were moving the family from the Philly/NJ area to San Diego. My tenth birthday was in October '77 not too long after we moved in.

Saw the film with my brothers and a cousin in the Kansas City, Mo area where my grandfather lived. I forever will remember being struck by the stark contrast in sound from the opening battle on the blockade runner to the silence of the Tatooine desert, broken only by the clarity of Threepio's voice, and Artoo's beeps.

That Christmas was probably my best ever, and the icing on the cake was the Death Star play set.

My dad transitioned from slide film to print film at about that same time. Of all his print photographs, I have never seen nor found images of that Christmas morning. I'm in process with my mother to scan all his old slides, but haven't made it past the 1960's yet.

So these are not mine (off the 'net), but bring back memories nonetheless...

DS Playset 001.jpg
DS Playset 003.jpg

Fantastic! Gives meaning to the term, "bucket-head" lol

Hey Wayne, is that Pennywise standing on your left?!? Yikes!

The Wook.

HaHa, it could be its predecessor.

This was the Halloween of 77' so I must of seen Star Wars in July or August (Canadian released was June 24th). I was so hyped that I did this costume in about two months with whatever I had for reference (Starlogs, Famous Monsters, bubble gum cards). Note, the tall Jawa on my right.

HaHa, it could be its predecessor.

This was the Halloween of 77' so I must of seen Star Wars in July or August (Canadian released was June 24th). I was so hyped that I did this costume in about two months with whatever I had for reference (Starlogs, Famous Monsters, bubble gum cards). Note, the tall Jawa on my right.

Awesome.

And how old a boy were you? If I had to guess, I'd say 10.

The Wook

No photos, unfortunately (if any exist, they're with my Mom in another state). I was 9 when I saw SW in 77. My parents took my brothers and me on a weeknight, after my Dad got out of work. My fondest memory of the night, aside from being floored by the movie itself, is that my parents were willing to sit through it twice in a row for us. That had never happened before with a movie and never happened again.

The first time I saw Star Wars was in June of 1977 at the Odeon Theater on Jasper Ave in Edmonton. The only thing I saw of the film was the trailer on TV, other than that, it took me totally by surprise. Even so, when I finally did see the film. What got me so 'thrilled' about it, was the audience participation. Laughing, clapping and cheering. The film definitely changed my life.

I don't have a photo of me from 1977, but I do have one of me as Chewie from our Junior High Halloween dance. It must of been 1979. Also, a newspaper clipping from 1983 at the premiere of Return of the Jedi with me in line wearing my Star Wars Fan Club T-shirt. See green arrow.

View attachment 562230View attachment 562231

Regarding the release dates of Star Wars, I found this. I hope it helps.
http://www.in70mm.com/news/2003/star_wars/

Wow! For a kid in 77, that's a really great Chewie costume!

Also, some of you might be interested in checking out this archive of 1977-1983 SW photos:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/growingupstarwars/pool/

Ha, love it! Although, seeing those old Halloween costume reminds me of an idea I had a few years ago. I want to print my own picture on a big vinyl smock and go as myself.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back