Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

Personally, I volunteer to give very honest feedback on that first rough cut. And if Lucasfilm were clever enough and brave enough, Bryancd and the Wook could come along ,so we get a diverse range of opinions from both ends of the spectrum to stike a reasonable balance, though I imagine they may have to tranquilize the Wook after that first viewing and moderately sedate him for the rest.

Bryancd and The Wook on a road trip to see a rough cut of Han Solo? That's agreat idea. It could be like The Odd Couple but tailor made for Star Wars fans.

I like a few Ron Howard movies (Cinderella Man - Willow) but I don't think we'll see anything that really blows us away.

True, Howard's basically a safe choice but that's really all they have time for at this point. Miller and Lord were the experiment and it apparently didn't work out. But I think Howard comes from the right place and background to understand what makes a good SW movie. We'll find out.

- - - Updated - - -

Even better if the car is super small and The Wook has to scooch down to fit...in costume.

And the damn air conditioner is broke the whole time!

True, Howard's basically a safe choice but that's really all they have time for at this point. Miller and Lord were the experiment and it apparently didn't work out. But I think Howard comes from the right place and background to understand what makes a good SW movie. We'll find out.

It's so typical of this industry to hire a comedic writer/directing team, and then be appalled that the movie is comedic.
This actually happened to me recently....

I was hired to write a comedic animated feature based on the studio liking my previous online animated shorts. They told me what they were hoping for, and I said, flat out, "You've seen what I do, right? I'm more a 'two dudes commenting about life' kinda guy... you want a 'Funny rabbit has anvil dropped on him' kinda guy..."

They responded "NO! We want to change it up... we want witty, quotable dialogue!"

I'm like, aaaaaalright... let's do this.

After I handed in my 3rd draft (they were super happy with the first 2 drafts) I get an email saying "we love it!... but we're passing it off to *other writer* cuz it needs to be more slap sticky"

The script I got back was 80% rewritten, and with a pile of notes on HIS draft they wanted me to fix...

Somehow I ended up looking like the one who had no idea what I was doing... No I think they maybe never even watched my previous work, just looked at the likes and dislikes on youtube.

Phil Lord and Chris Miller were hired on reputation and I bet Kennedy and all hadn't REALLY watched what they do... So when they didn't hand in Rogue One, they were pinned as the guys who didn't understand Star Wars and were kicked to the curb.

Maybe they didn't understand Kennedy's Star Wars... but I would love to have seen what Star Wars was in THEIR minds.

In my mind Star Wars is fun and adventure.... Not the dark war adventures of Han Solo and all his friends who have to die by the end cuz they're not in a New Hope.

Han in ANH was great-- but pretty one-note until his no-brainer return at the end. It was ESB that gave us all the nuances of a guy who was conflicted between his life of adventure, and his undeniable ability to be a responsible leader. Lawrence Kasdan gave us that, so I trust he's not going to crap all over his own legacy.

I mean sure, Lucas may have done that with the PT, but I don't think Kasdan would.

Kasdan is certainly capable of crapping all over his legacy. He's already done it once, with ROTJ. Han was completely emasculated in that film--greatly diminishing Kasdan's SWIQ.

The Wook

He could've been talking about the most amazing, interesting thing ever - but, it started off with a statement that was the equivalent of "I have a big SWIQ (pronounced sw-ICK. emphasis on ick)." His justification was self-aggrandizing, and mostly an attempt to dismiss the opinion of another member of this forum. So while I read enough of it, I saw it for what it was - chest beating nonsense... and generally, if someone is telling you just how big their SWIQ is, it's usually small.

The funny thing is - length and size isn't even a matter in just how big his "SWIQ" is. It's how he wants to look at it and skew it so it suits himself.

Fair and excellent point.

But your use of SWIQ has made me decide to dismiss your post out of spite. Also, I didn't italicize it because I didn't want to give it any credence.

He could've been talking about the most amazing, interesting thing ever - but, it started off with a statement that was the equivalent of "I have a big SWIQ (pronounced sw-ICK. emphasis on ick)." His justification was self-aggrandizing, and mostly an attempt to dismiss the opinion of another member of this forum. So while I read enough of it, I saw it for what it was - chest beating nonsense... and generally, if someone is telling you just how big their SWIQ is, it's usually small.

The funny thing is - length and size isn't even a matter in just how big his "SWIQ" is. It's how he wants to look at it and skew it so it suits himself.

Sez the man with arguably the lowest SWIQ on the site!

The Wook

ps~@jlee562. I find your assertion that people in China have the same low-brow tastes in films as American Millennials do, to be far more offensive. smh The notion that people in China are not sophisticated enough to appreciate the brilliance of a film like Citizen Kane, is downright repugnant. And racist.

It's so typical of this industry to hire a comedic writer/directing team, and then be appalled that the movie is comedic.
This actually happened to me recently....

I was hired to write a comedic animated feature based on the studio liking my previous online animated shorts. They told me what they were hoping for, and I said, flat out, "You've seen what I do, right? I'm more a 'two dudes commenting about life' kinda guy... you want a 'Funny rabbit has anvil dropped on him' kinda guy..."

They responded "NO! We want to change it up... we want witty, quotable dialogue!"

I'm like, aaaaaalright... let's do this.

After I handed in my 3rd draft (they were super happy with the first 2 drafts) I get an email saying "we love it!... but we're passing it off to *other writer* cuz it needs to be more slap sticky"

The script I got back was 80% rewritten, and with a pile of notes on HIS draft they wanted me to fix...

Somehow I ended up looking like the one who had no idea what I was doing... No I think they maybe never even watched my previous work, just looked at the likes and dislikes on youtube.

In my mind Star Wars is fun and adventure.... Not the dark war adventures of Han Solo and all his friends who have to die by the end cuz they're not in a New Hope.

Yeah, when I hear stories like that, it confirms my belief that it's a miracle when any movie manages to turn out halfway decent. And for the record, I'm with you on TFA. I had problems with some aspects of it but I thought they did a good job of capturing the fun and spirit of the originals.

So with Ron Howard directing now, I wonder if there will be a Clint Howard cameo?

Maybe a Han Solo/Balok mash up? Heads will explode!

Balok.jpg

Kasdan is certainly capable of crapping all over his legacy. He's already done it once, with ROTJ. Han was completely emasculated in that film--greatly diminishing Kasdan's SWIQ.

The Wook

I definitely agree that Han was a completely emasculated character in ROTJ. It was similar, to me, how Padme' went from this badass Queen, Senator, independent woman to a dribbling, crying, futile, lose -the- will- to- live- girl, once her man was lost to her and I sincerely hope that Han, in this movie, is not relegated to anything but what we have come to know in ANH & ESB.

The IQ is still lost on me, but I get the summation of the idea.

Last edited:

I definitely agree that Han was a completely emasculated character in ROTJ. It was similar, to me, how Padme' went from this badass Queen, Senator, independent woman to a dribbling, crying, futile, lose -the- will- to- live- girl, once her man was lost to her and I sincerely hope that Han, in this movie, is not relegated to anything but what we have come to know in ANH & ESB.

The IQ is still lost on me, but I get the summation of the idea.

Well, your SWIQ just went up 11 points by agreeing with me on this post.

The Wook

With the exception of MTV cancelling Clone High
They did Clone High?!

Wow, so I have seen....and liked very much....something they've made.
Nothing they did after interested me though.

And while CH is awesome, I don't want that vibe put in a SW film. If that's what they were doing...

I'm happy that Ron Howard was chosen. He's a great filmmaker, though I still feel that it's not a good idea for a movie. We shall see.

After JJ, LFL took a turn for much lower key directors. Rian Johnson and Trevorrow might've been on our radar - but, definitely not in the way Abrams was. Lord & Miller - again, might've been known to some of us... but were on a different radar completely.

I don't think L&M* really ever made sense for the Star Wars Universe - while arguments could be made for the rest (of course, there are those that will disagree). L&M made movies that didn't fit Star Wars mold - they made comedy, often lowbrow. While Star Wars has always had a bit of comedy here and there - their style was beyond that. But, sometimes going outside the norm is good... in this case, it wasn't.

The other problem with a Han Solo prequel is that no one wants a Han Solo prequel. Add what many consider mis-casting in the lead role and you have a setup for failure.

Even if it has been awhile since he's done anything spectacularly noteworthy, Ron Howard is still a big name. He has experience and is a talented filmmaker and producer (emphasis intended). My guess is Kennedy and LFL are counting on the weight that he brings to this production - he's here to save this movie. He's here to right the ship and make it sail true. I think it might be fair to say this (in this case) he's a company man and he's being used here to do a very specific job.

I still don't like the idea of this movie - I think the idea of Han Solo is much bigger than any prequel could give us. He's an enigma, his legend should be mysterious. It doesn't matter what made him the "Han Shot First" guy we saw in 1977 - his journey is through those three (now four) movies.

I still don't like the casting of Alden Ehrenreich** as Han Solo. I still don't like the idea of this movie - I was going to see it with or without Howard - however, his addition gives me some hope, even if it is small.

* It's not like Kasdan and Marquand had a great list of credits that made them seem perfect to direct a Star Wars movie. But, still even they seemed better suited than Lord & Miller.
**If rumors are true, I've got to give Alden some credit for speaking up about L&M's take on Solo.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back