Star Lord's new scanner

Anyone able to identify what this piece might be made from?

mattelfootball1detail.jpg

No idea if this question has been answered yet, but that looks a identical to a barrel hinge in the folded out position if you ask me :D

barrel-hinge-solid-brass-soss-size-16mm-1942-p_zpsyzqk2n9k.jpg

barrel-hinge-detail-2_zpshwmopzfm.jpg

Last edited:
Ha ha ha! Great minds think a like! I thought it was some sort of knurled barrel knob so I Googled....and Googled....and Googled!!! Until the barrel hinge came up and VOILA! It came up but you guys beat me to it!!! I was only finding 8mm so thanks for the 10mm link. It appears that the knob is counter sunk below the black layer so we will have to modify the game even though we don't want too.

I am always hesitant to use power tools on anything of which I am unfamiliar. So I took a hacksaw to one of my Dale Wire Wound resistors. I hope this provides others with some useful information.
UnwoundResistor.JPG

Starting at the inside there is a solid ceramic core (white in the the photo). The actually resistance is provided by the flat high-resistance alloy which is wrapped around the core. The flat wire is connected on both ends to an cap with a solder-able lug (lower left). This unit is then encased in black, vitreous enamel or porcelain enamel. The enameled unit is then encased in a piece of amber, kapton tape (upper left)which is both electrically insulating and heat resistant. This is then inserted into the aluminum shell which acts as a heat sink to dissipate heat.

One point to take note of which may allow a less destructive disassembly are the two dimples in the bottom of the shell. These were formed during construction to mate into two corresponding divots in the hard enamel (which hopefully can be seen in the photo) . I believe if these dimples are drilled out then the resistor can be easily slipped out perhaps with a little persuasion.

Making a bit more progress over here as well . . .

20170315_014544.jpg

proper stickers and initial cuts

20170315_020450.jpg

spent about an hr drilling and routing this out

20170315_020602.jpg

I think I need to drill it down just a little bit more

20170315_020629.jpg

20170315_022810.jpg

almost there

20170315_022822.jpg

20170315_0229350.jpg

Ok, tried again last night (I may have bought multiple games). This time I cut the hinge and glued it to the resistor. I also adjusted how I cut the game box face. After that I gave the whole game a light sanding to knock the shiny surface down and then weathered it with a mix of blacks and brown acrylic paints and sprayed it with a matte clear coat. Last step is the replacement decal and a solution to make the screen graphic.

IMG_2276.JPGIMG_2279.JPGIMG_2280.JPGIMG_2300.JPG

This is very "distressing!" Well done!!! My 1977 version is almost yellow so distressing will be mostly be black.

Ok, tried again last night (I may have bought multiple games). This time I cut the hinge and glued it to the resistor. I also adjusted how I cut the game box face. After that I gave the whole game a light sanding to knock the shiny surface down and then weathered it with a mix of blacks and brown acrylic paints and sprayed it with a matte clear coat. Last step is the replacement decal and a solution to make the screen graphic.

View attachment 714717View attachment 714718View attachment 714719View attachment 714720

View attachment 714717View attachment 714718View attachment 714719View attachment 714720

That turned out fantastic!

Printed and die cut decals. Just a light touch with some sand paper to give them some wear and tear, and they fit right in. I'd like to figure out a good solution for the screen, but otherwise this is about done. Anybody interested in a kit for their own game? Or a complete modified game?

IMG_2304.JPG

New stickers.... "Mattel Electronics" for the top and "Football" for the lower part versus "Classic Football" and "Mattel" would be great. The resistor and hinge might be nice to get from one source, though I don't think the price on those will go crazy like the game itself. More than that, I'd rather wait to see the movie. Seems like pre-release props are always off a bit....

If anyone needs the labels for the back of the scanner I have put together a representation of the "FOOTBALL INSTRUCTIONS" and the "MALFUNCTIONS" labels. These fill the two recesses on the back of the Mattel Football 2000 handheld game. The labels were originally printed on a smooth surfaced, ivory or off-white background and have a slightly glossy appearance. There are a number of tutorials and videos on-line on how to create your own stickers or adhesive labels to prepare the backing and a piece of clear "packing tape" can provide the glossy finish. Weathering of the label could be done prior to or after applying the tape.
I have provided the RED cutting guides to assist in trimming the labels to size.
View attachment ScannerBackLabels.pdf

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back