Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

I think it was meant as a cool cinematic shot so complaining about the "miss" doesn't hold water. If you need somethin in movie when we are talking about destructive power of that size at that angle they did not really need to hit it head on.

You know it would be possible they missed by a few hundred yards and happened to hit the top of the tower in doing so.
They had only fired it once before and a weapon designed to destroy a planet doesn't have to be precise down to the foot.
And it was clearly a shot taken at a great angle to the target.
Not sure what "groupings" should be expected of the Death Star and all the variables involved.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_grouping

it simply afforded an opportunity for Krennic to see the method of his demise and Jyn and Cassie's a moment. You know that the emotional beats usurp the limitations of realty, it's a movie.

Just simple wording would take the question out of the scene... They didn't hit what Tarkin ordered. If he had said "Destroy the archive. target a few miles out, I want them to see it coming" I wouldn't have questioned it.

It's like that damn escape pod in ANH.... all you had to do was have one guy say "Hold your fire. There are no life forms. May have been short-circuited. But track it's trajectory and send a recovery team in case.

NO QUESTIONS.

That link doesn't work

Ok,...Ok...I wasn't going to elaborate

The threat is that the Rebels must be trying to transmit plans to the fleet,....thats why they encouraged two Star Destroyers to crash into the gate & open the shield,,....Ok....so if I'm in control of the Death Star with a Super Laser......first....I'm gonna wipe out that transmission dish,....that will stop the transmission.....& the energy of that blast will wipe out the Rebels as well

J

I think it was meant as a cool cinematic shot so complaining about the "miss" doesn't hold water. If you need somethin in movie when we are talking about destructive power of that size at that angle they did not really need to hit it head on.

Yes,....and the film is very artistically shot,.....George shot a lot centralised,...in this film the shots are well composed

But the Superlaser did hit the tower 'Head' on

Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 20.11.05.png

The other deliberate reason the laser hit the dish was that Krennic, (who was the man who was most proud of his battle station, who lavished in the destruction of Jedda & described the obliteration as 'beautiful') looked up and saw the SuperLaser fire a blast directly at him

Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 01.37.49.png

"Beautiful"

J

Last edited:
Yes,....and the film is very artistically shot,.....George shot a lot centralised,...in this film the shots are well composed

But the Superlaser did hit the tower 'Head' on

View attachment 694028

The other deliberate reason the laser hit the dish was that Krennic, (who was the man who was most proud of his battle station, who lavished in the destruction of Jedda & described the obliteration as 'beautiful') looked up and saw the SuperLaser fire a blast directly at him

View attachment 694036

"Beautiful"

J

(Slow clap)

Hey I have been very positive and fair in my critiques, and am backing up my problems with this flick rather than just saying "Eh it sucked! Mary Sue! Rip off of ANH!"

These I believe are legitimate shortcomings of a muddled movie. I got teary in TFA over deaths and moments, but didn't feel anything here... and there's reason.

It's like I watched the movie RED STATE... spoiler... EVERYONE DIES. But holy crap, every single time someone went out it was shocking and stung. Cuz the deaths, though expected in a sense that I knew they were eventually coming, were unexpected by when and how they happened.

But yes, I am fun at parties, cuz I make WICKED margaritas.

Recipe below:

2 shots tequila
1 shot Triple Sec
1/4 can of frozen lime juice
table spoon or frozen orange juice
quarter of a lime (squeezed)

Thrown in a blender with a good amount of ice and blend til smooth.

You're welcome.

The might Toad stands corrected and will take you up on your most generous Margarita offer :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

There are little nits to pick like this in just about every movie. Be it the dish getting hit like that, the lighting, or the characters and the leaps of faith we take that make the story for us. To some their minor things - to others they might amount to something bigger.

I'll agree the characters didn't really sting when they died. Maybe it's because since just about day one, I didn't think any of them were going to make it. Maybe it's poor characterization. Maybe it's they're just part of a larger story. Every character had their role, each had their own arc, each of them had some character - was it enough? You mileage may vary - I felt it fit the story quite well, even if none of their deaths hit me hard.

If I could change or improve one thing, it would to make Krennic more imposing - more menacing, a little more ruthless. I heard people mention that we were getting a Christoph Waltz type performance/character. Now, I do understand that he would have to pale under Tarkin (and Vader and Palpatine)... but, I definitely expected more from Director Krennic. (I also didn't think they made the Death Star menacing enough...)

Are there other issues with this movie? Yes - but, did any of that stop my enjoyment? No - this was a fun movie that I enjoyed the heck out of and can't wait to see again.

This movie is about getting the Death Star plans. It's not about Jyn, Cassian, Krennic, K2-SO or even anyone individual.

I'm not looking at it from a film maker sense. I'm looking at it as Tarkin telling them what to do and them missing by miles. Just saying... it's not very accurate

Tarkin couldn't have known that Krennic was at the top of the tower. Maybe he wanted krennic to see the wave coming. Or perhaps they weren't targeting the tower, maybe the water absorbed some of the blast, so it only took out that city, rather then shredding the entire planet. I agree with you, it doesn't make sense, but I can get past it. Just throwing out some possible reasons.

Last edited:
Yeah there's a term in that link for aiming outside to instil damage from the blast radius, I was originally just trying to figure out what the original Oder from Tarkin was.

i can live with it... just weird.

- - - Updated - - -
@JD I would have loved if he was more like Christopher Waltz in "Basterds", but I thought Krennick was fine.

NeoRutty I did notice that only the droid was shot and killed and to me I thought it was a gesture on the film makers part to not show any of the flesh or blood crew die by random lasers. K2SO does choose his death to defend but we don't see any blood. All the rest die knowing they were part of "Hope" (getting those plans up to the alliance) and we see each get it in a blast, which in the movie seems less violent than getting killed by a slew of lasers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still dont see it as a gritty war movie. I know Ill get crap for it, but it just didnt feel that way. "Gritty" for a Star Wars movie? Yes. A gritty war movie though? No.

Gritty for a Star Wars movie is what I meant, and we're talking lighting style here not levels of violence.

lol....a bit of a side comment but I love joshvanrad's signature! (^_^)

"The above post contains copious amounts of sarcasm. If you were offended by the above post I sincerely apologize. However, since it was probably just a joke I suggest you get over it."

I'm a huge fan of morally grey characters in SW. Han Solo always being way up there. So Cassian fell promptly into that category the instant I watched him shoot another rebel spy in the back. I like redemption stories, and that was very much what his arc was. He found a cause worth fighting for and that was his atonement for all of the bad things he'd done in the past. Cassian was a huge highlight for me in the movie.

Luke didn't. "There isn't anything I can do about it right now."

Only when there were no other options did he take it on.

I'm I the only one that thinks that Ben sounds a bit creepy "...only Imperial storm troopers are so precise.", He surely knew what happened by then and let
Luke go see for himself, but it's almost like he knew it would happen, and let it happen so Luke would go with him.

I'm I the only one that thinks that Ben sounds a bit creepy "...only Imperial storm troopers are so precise.", He surely knew what happened by then and let
Luke go see for himself, but it's almost like he knew it would happen, and let it happen so Luke would go with him.

Theres a lot of "questionable" things both Obi-Wan and Yoda do to manipulate Luke toward their cause. But "from a certain point of view". ;)

Ben

Theres a lot of "questionable" things both Obi-Wan and Yoda do to manipulate Luke toward their cause. But "from a certain point of view". ;)

Ben
Yep. Can we all agree that ANH is the story of an orphaned and disillusioned farmboy who gets recruited by an old bearded man, who indoctrinates him with religious stuff in order to carry out a large-scale terrorist attack? ...from a certain point of view. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back