My lightsabers & blasters thread (Compac Super Scope)

Re: My on going lightsabers and blasters thread (Grenade Restoration Pt 6ish)

Got another delivery today, this one is from Todd's Costumes. It was the scope and scope bracket, and now that I have everything it's time to get to work on it. But first I did a quick test fit of the parts to make sure there are no issues. I had sent the denix base off to Boba Debt for some additional machining that I don't have the equipment to do. I'm also planning to take it completely apart and file it down like Mattymatt did with his lovely build. I've still got to cut of the Tomtit cylindars to make the heat sinc, I'm dreading that because of the round shape and my lack of a good saw for that kind of work.

I'm still working on the grenade, I've got the rod sitting in vinegar and it's been a week but not much progress so far. I've got the bluing in and I'll probably knock that out soon.

dl44.jpg

Re: My on going lightsabers and blasters thread (Grenade Restoration Pt 6ish)

Just like NeoRutty, I have a bolt in mine. My bolt is a brass hex bolt from the "furniture parts" drawers at my local hardware store. There are lots of types of bolts with flat heads that might fit, I'd experiment with yours! My handwheel has a very tall center (6 sided star hole) for some reason, so nothing will fit underneath the endcap. I just have no endcap - Tunisia style. Most NORMAL handwheels have a lower center and a square hole I think. There's plenty of room for bolt heads.

Re: My on going lightsabers and blasters thread (Obi Wan Grenade Restoration Pt 7)

Hey Dustin, I've been meaning to ask.... what did you use to clean up your grenade stem? I have another relic stem that is probably as caked on with crud as the one I sent you... the additional challenge with this one is that the frag body of the grenade snapped off at the stem threads and so I have to figure out how to get that off the stem....

Re: My on going lightsabers and blasters thread (Obi Wan Grenade Restoration Pt 7)

newmagrathea, I just watched your 'Grenade Restoration Pt 5' video and I'm stunned at 13:55 when you're holding a Roman's Props Ob-wan up to the Original Parts Obi-wan at how much larger the Original Parts version is. I thought the replicas were measured off of real parts. And I know there are different iterations of...how the grooves were cut in the grenade, different lips on the wind vane, etc., I just never guessed the originals were so BIG! Now I'm kicking myself a little for not having jumped on Edraven99's recent Male converted Derwent Balance Pipe the other day and started down the road to an all Original Parts Obi-wan.

Must be a trick of the light from filming. They are the same size.

newmagrathea, I just watched your 'Grenade Restoration Pt 5' video and I'm stunned at 13:55 when you're holding a Roman's Props Ob-wan up to the Original Parts Obi-wan at how much larger the Original Parts version is. I thought the replicas were measured off of real parts. And I know there are different iterations of...how the grooves were cut in the grenade, different lips on the wind vane, etc., I just never guessed the originals were so BIG! Now I'm kicking myself a little for not having jumped on Edraven99's recent Male converted Derwent Balance Pipe the other day and started down the road to an all Original Parts Obi-wan.

Must be a trick of the light from filming. They are the same size.

Trust in Chris you should... about 30 grenades he has :p

They are the same size. I have swapped parts between them to make sure that it all fits correctly. I actually used the Romans as the reference for getting it clean again, I would make sure the parts would screw back in to the same depth as the Romans.
Edraven99 I just used white vinegar straight out of the bottle. There is a little bit of stuff that I think is paint stuck on the side, but it doesn't bother me and it blended in once I did the ammonia aging.

Last edited by a moderator:

Has many spares...it sounds though he does! ;)

Thanks Guys, that's so crazy. It really looks like they're side by side at that moment, I screen grabbed it and everything. Good to know that the old and the new are interchangeable!

Since y'all might have the needles too... and so as not to bogart newmagrathea's thread here... would you check out my new thread :

Obi-wan - Hales Grenade - Needle - Measurements? http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=269705

Last edited:
Re: My on going lightsabers and blasters thread (Obi Wan Grenade Restoration Pt 8)

Forgot about this last vid!

Finally watched... satisfying to see it finished. Nice work!

Re: My on going lightsabers and blasters thread (Attaching the Real Handwheel vid)

Looks like we were pommel bros today! I'm too scared to drill the d-ring hole too. That's the exact kind of thing I tend to mess up. Even if I drill a decent hole, it will be on the wrong facet - guaranteed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: My on going lightsabers and blasters thread (Attaching the Real Handwheel vid)

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=113901 for those who never saw how it's done properly :)

Chaïm

That is super helpful and I hadn't seen that thread before. I don't have a milling cross vise, although I've thought about getting one.

That also answered a question I was going to ask about the long and short side of the pommel cubes.

Just finished my ROTJ Luke Hero light saber. This was probably the easiest lightsaber build I've done so far. All the hard work was done by Nicksdad, I just had to sand,mask, paint, and attach a couple parts with tape. The hardest part was getting my hands on sandpaper that is higher than 2000 grit, it doesn't seem like any local store carry it. I thought about tarnishing the copper slightly with some ammonia, and I still might, but I think I'll try to let that happen naturally.

IMG_4106.jpg

IMG_4101.jpg

IMG_4103.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back