THE HOBBIT swords

Yeah it just kind of a bummer. I don't want "gigantic" Balin's Mace, and Fili's Sword next to it looking like a dagger by comparison on the wall. I hope WETA puts more weapon replicas out now.

I built a version of GLAMDRING from scratch out of wood and metal tape...Really using the LOTR/HOBBIT Glamdring as an inspiration but going out on my own as well...trying to make it look cool but It is not a perfect replica by a long shot..If anybody interested please see my progress.

I built a version of GLAMDRING from scratch out of wood and metal tape...Really using the LOTR/HOBBIT Glamdring as an inspiration but going out on my own as well...trying to make it look cool but It is not a perfect replica by a long shot..If anybody interested please see my progress.

Yeah man post some pics, its always cool seeing fan made stuff. I don't really have that spark of creativity myself so I don't bother.

Here is the link to my first album of progress so far thanks for the quote CyborgNinja! : brianmassey1's Album: Gandalph Scarecrow/Costume

So for starters I think its awesome, and I'ma tell ya why. Obviously via my youtube channel I'm a gamer. And what you have there reminds me of the PS2 version videogame of The Hobbit. This is just me though, it has that eccentric cartoony curvature to it that that particular game had, which to me is awesome, that game sucked however, EA lotr games were waaaaaaay better. I like what you've made there though. Excellent work.

Well I won't be picking up UC's new "shorties," Kinda disappointing. Oh well, $149.99 saved really.

Why I will not purchase the United Cutlery Sword of Fili or Sword of Kili - YouTube
They are the scale seen in the films, which is generally what all of United's LOTR and Hobbit film replicas are. United never had any desire to do non film accurate scales, and I doubt anyone would want one of these in a human sword size anyway due to the weight. The blades on both the Fili and Kili swords are nearly 3/8" thick, same as the props, but they are real steel, not polyurethane or aluminum. They are like weighty axes. The Glamdring sword replicas are about 4lbs, which is heavy. That's how much the Fili and Kili swords each weigh at film scale. Double that to make something human scale.

I have the crappy shorty Glamdring with the completely straight blade:
egene2yh.jpg

What's sad is that I'm short enough for this sword to be correct proportionally to my body. Anyways, I'm hoping to get a better version somewhere down the line, but I was also hoping for something that could be used instead of just being a wall hanger.
On the UC scale, it really sucks for the rest of you, but since I'm only four inches taller than Fili's given height, I can use their weapons just fine. Hurrah for being a "real" dwarf.

They are the scale seen in the films, which is generally what all of United's LOTR and Hobbit film replicas are. United never had any desire to do non film accurate scales, and I doubt anyone would want one of these in a human sword size anyway due to the weight. The blades on both the Fili and Kili swords are nearly 3/8" thick, same as the props, but they are real steel, not polyurethane or aluminum. They are like weighty axes. The Glamdring sword replicas are about 4lbs, which is heavy. That's how much the Fili and Kili swords each weigh at film scale. Double that to make something human scale.

Oh I still think they're awesome and gorgeous, without doubt. I just figured they'd be on par with Gimli's Bearded Axe at least, which is bigger turns out. I'm hoping someone will buy one and do a video or post some pics for a person's scale comparison for me to see.
Astrokid248: Your Glamdring is prao dude. I've almost broke down and purchased one several times but talk myself out of it. I nearly got one of the higher end UC ones but was told it still had little functionality so I backed out then. And congrats on your Dwarvism .. but, the real question, is can you grow the beard? lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Astrokid248: Your Glamdring is prao dude. I've almost broke down and purchased one several times but talk myself out of it. I nearly got one of the higher end UC ones but was told it still had little functionality so I backed out then. And congrats on your Dwarvism .. but, the real question, is can you grow the beard? lol

Only reason I picked it up without waiting to find a useable version was the price. If I'm buying a -only, I always purchase from the pirates at Texas Renaissance Festival, who sold me that one for $30. Also, I cannot grow a beard, but I have a quarter of a mustache.

What I'm thinking of doing once I have the cash is buying a Baltimore Knife and Sword leaf blade in the right shape, manufacturing the crossguard and pommel myself at a shop, and then getting some local smiths to assemble it for me.

Do any of you know if Noble's glowing Sting sword is the same as MR's glowing Sting sword, just with the no engraving?

Astrokid248: Well it sounds like you have a plan. Especially if you have people in your area that can/are smiths. I'd totally buy a Glamdring for $30 on the spot too if I ever stumbled onto one.

@ J EM: I don't really deal with anything from Noble but I'll hunt around for some info. I read a review from someone who purchased their Battle Axe of Gimli from Noble and they made the remark that upon opening it with one light swing, a load crack, and a axe head on the chester drawer later, they were out a what was once a new replica. Haft gave it up immediately. But I guess for $120 you get what you pay for right?

@ J EM: I don't really deal with anything from Noble but I'll hunt around for some info. I read a review from someone who purchased their Battle Axe of Gimli from Noble and they made the remark that upon opening it with one light swing, a load crack, and a axe head on the chester drawer later, they were out a what was once a new replica. Haft gave it up immediately. But I guess for $120 you get what you pay for right?
If you do look around, thanks for doing so. I don't know much about NC's replica weapon quality. Their jewelery is very nice though, but yeah. When I first wanted LOTR weapons, I ended up choosing UC over them. Just cheaper and more accurate looking. Looking at this thread, Orcrist has grown on me so much I want one now and also want the UC Glamdring I sold some years ago back. Sold it because I couldn't decide what color scabbard I wanted to buy and didn't end up getting either. Now I want the blue one (black?). xD

Last edited:
If you do look around, thanks for doing so. I don't know much about NC's replica weapon quality. Their jewelery is very nice though, but yeah. When I first wanted LOTR weapons, I ended up choosing UC over them. Just cheaper and more accurate looking. Looking at this thread, Orcrist has grown on me so much I want one now and also want the UC Glamdring I sold some years ago back. Sold it because I couldn't decide what color scabbard I wanted to buy and didn't end up getting either. Now I want the blue one (black?). xD

Ok to repeat, I dont have anything from NC, I'm pretty much loyal to UC at this point, but I have seen other's opinions in various forums who have collected from both. One opinion that stands out is:
"I would say that the noble collection swords are of poor quality in comparisen to that of UC. The only thing that noble collection has on UC is that they have better plaques. Other wise i would suggest on not getting any Noble collection swords because they really arent that nice and they are tramendously over priced"
"That's for sure, I do own Noble's sting myself. I Bought it from a online cataloque living in the illusion that this sting would be even
more special than UC's. Given, the sword is a little larger than it's UC counterpart but to say it's a $200 worth difference....?
The plaque is not that great either."
"I wish I had known more about Noble when I bought their version of sting. I don't want to be disrespectful of anything I consider to be ''Tolkien-involved'' but Noble's sting is really far less beautiful than UC's.
Guess I learned from it all..........."
I'll stop quoting the forum is here: Noble Collection vs. United Cutlery?
I'ma say, being I've purchased from UC with my Gimli Axes, which are all phenominal! Go with UC's sting sword, no I don't own it, but, I feel like its a safe bet. Hope this helped. GL

Thanks for looking around fast! I won't be buying weapons from NC any time soon as I'm happy with what UC offers but I may check that forum out sometime to learn more of NC's weapon quality. I remember when I first saved $400 for what would've been my first LOTR sword, NC Anduril. Then I found UC. I bought their normal edition Anduril and preordered its scabbard and with what I saved, bought myself MR's polycarbonate glowing Sting, which is pretty cool. Its at 27 inches, which was Noble's LOTR Sting length. I won't be buying a Sting as I already have UC's museum edition which I'm very satisfied with. I was just wondering if anyone knows if NC's "Glowing" Sting is the same material as the glowing Sting MR used to offer a few years ago.

Please tell me that United Cutlery is planning on releasing a replica of Thorin's Dwarven Sword! It is one of my favorite bladed weapons from all of the Tolkien films, and I would buy one in a heartbeat! I really don't want to have to buy the Noble Collection version...

Jason V.

Also, I think this video is a good example of why UC weapons are made at human scale, rather than dwarf scale!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back