My Tron Legacy Costume Attempt

Very nice. How did you end up attaching the reflective tape to the wetsuit? Spray glue or stitching?

Thanks! I used contact cement on the neoprene side and then the reflective tape stuck nicely to it once the contact cement dried. It gave a super clean look. Longer pieces were tricky so I removed the tape backing a bit at a time to insure correct placement.

Wow!!! Very impressive work!!! Can I ask if you used a white reflective tape? And what brand! I used the 3M Scothlite 8930 reflective tape and looks almost too bright when flash photography taken of my Quorra suit.

Great work! :)

Thanks so much! Here's what I got from FindTape.com:
JVCC REF-7 Engineering Grade Reflective Tape Size: 4 in. x 10 yds. (96mm x 9m), Color: Silver-White

I ordered 4" width and 1/2" widths. Not sure how it compares to the Scotchlite. I had the same problem with photos, but what I had my wife do was set the lighting to spot lighting, then shine it on a bright light source (ceiling light) then quickly holding down the shutter release pan down to me in the suit. The exposure takes in the bright light and compensates. It's a pain though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
hey Acargile
great work, i like the helmet
but friendly tip
you may want to get a Ballet Jock, ill be wearing one in my costume
keeps the manhood at bay

Last thing we need is another Tron Guy. at-least your thin XD

lol, thanks! i plan to also. this was just the fitting :lol

WOW! That looks INCREDIBLE! And I love that it's made with such easily accessible and usable materials! Congratulations on a fantastic job! I can't wait to see the Quorra outfit!!! UGH. I wish I had mine done. :( Thanks for the inspiration, though!!! Again, fantastic work!

Thanks so much!

I decided to work within the thickness of the tape so I don't have to deal with cutting and reattaching it (Though it can be done). I think I'll just stick with this for my first attempt.

Here a little animation of my initial tape template layout:

tapetemplateanim.gif

Last edited:
I got my wife's Quorra costume finished. Here are a few photos of the two of us and then her pieces, along with my gloves (closeup). Enjoy!

I got my wife's Quorra costume finished. Here are a few photos of the two of us and then her pieces, along with my gloves (closeup). Enjoy!

YAY! another Quorra! Looks awesome! Both of your costumes do! and look so much easier to deal with and wear than mine. Mine is totally falling apart :( I have worn it so many times already HAHA. I love it wearing it too much! :D

Have fun in your new Tron costumes both of you!

YAY! another Quorra! Looks awesome! Both of your costumes do! and look so much easier to deal with and wear than mine. Mine is totally falling apart :( I have worn it so many times already HAHA. I love it wearing it too much! :D

Have fun in your new Tron costumes both of you!

Thanks! You too. We are finding the reflective tape is breaking or fracturing as well, but boy are they fun to wear around!

Thanks! You too. We are finding the reflective tape is breaking or fracturing as well, but boy are they fun to wear around!

I did a test fit with scotch tape to make sure things wernt too tight when moving around. It helped when laying out what areas not to tape to in order to keep mobility. Around the knees, butt, and elbows are places i avoided. Otherwise when i finally put the 3M reflective on there it held up ok. I used iron on glue which worked ok. I think i will be backing it up now with some hand sewing.

I did a test fit with scotch tape to make sure things wernt too tight when moving around. It helped when laying out what areas not to tape to in order to keep mobility. Around the knees, butt, and elbows are places i avoided. Otherwise when i finally put the 3M reflective on there it held up ok. I used iron on glue which worked ok. I think i will be backing it up now with some hand sewing.

What if you apply overlapping layers of reflective tape to make it stronger and less likely to break (I am using the reflective tape option on mine)

What if you apply overlapping layers of reflective tape to make it stronger and less likely to break (I am using the reflective tape option on mine)

Ya, good idea to do that. It helps. Or if you have time, you can sew all the reflective pieces onto a stretch fabric like black wasteband material, then sew that onto your suit . That way it will move with your body better. You can get it at Joann Fabrics or other stores.

73731_10150307873115109_837615108_15387449_4852755_n.jpg

Here is my suit. Hard to take shot. I used Soccer goal keeper pants and a Fitted (not compression) UnderArmor shirt. I was worried about overheating while dancing otherwise i would have gone i with a sturdy material like leather.

*Update: So I wasn't able to complete the undersuit in time for Halloween. But I decided to get a Tron costume put together regardless. I was in a mad rush to get this done as I procrastinated until the final hrs. Here are the results after 10hrs of labor.

I'll still be continuing this project until I reach perfection, or at least a replica suit that is satisfactory in my eyes. And I have pretty high standards for this project!

I used actordiver's technique of overlaying electrical tape over the EL tape. (y) (thanks for the inspiration!) Here are the strips I used for the legs:
sf1.jpg

I laid out each strip on my motorcycle jacket and a pair of leather pants. I didn't want to modify the jacket permanently as I actually use it when I go out riding, so this was another reason for the electrical tape.
sf13.jpg

My Sidi vertigo air boots came in handy as well. Again, just a temporary solution so I covered all of the emblems and logos in electrical tape.
sf4.jpg

I used these clamps to connect the wires to each piece. They worked like a charm and held up all night! No soldering, gluing, taping or drilling required.
sf2.jpg

All ready to be taped down and wired up!
sf3.jpg

The result: (sorry for the blurry pics, my GF is not the best photographer):)

sf5.jpg
sf8.jpg
sf7.jpg

It all held up relatively well. Some of the black electrical tape was coming undone by the end of the night, but the EL remained super bright and was constantly on for over 6hrs and I haven't changed the batts yet!
sf0.jpg

I powered the entire suit with one 12v inverter using 8 AA batteries.
sf9.jpg

As you can see, I still need to finish the donuts and complete the entire back half of the suit.

Once I have the undersuit finished I'll begin sculpting the actual armor for my 2.0 version!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back