Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

Because he talks about TLJ in it.

And why do I get the feeling you don't like me going off topic? But you are totally fine with other people going off topic? "Well we gotta fill it with something until the big day arrives...."

Because in my opinion other people do it incidentally and you do it deliberately. Big difference. You have even said yourself that you should start exploring TLJ thread or start up one but that doesnt seem to be an option. For some reason you just like to post in this one. The comment I made was a joke, not a green light for your personal quest.

Last edited:

Because in my opinion other people do it incidentally and you do it deliberately. Big difference. You have even said yourself that you should start exploring TLJ thread or start up one but that doesnt seem to be an option. For some reason you just like to post in this one.

Yeah, I do I like posting here, this appears to be a popular thread. And until we have an official announcement we have absolutely zip to talk about. As you said, we gotta fill it with something.

Yeah, I do I like posting here, this appears to be a popular thread. And until we have an official announcement we have absolutely zip to talk about. As you said, we gotta fill it with something.

Obviously you only post here because its popular and fear that if you post in the threads where your points are relevant, they will get no response`s but that doesnt change the fact that the mods have asked to keep on topic on multiple occasions, which you have acknowledged yet ignored on multiple occasions. No one is asking you to fill this thread with anything by the way. I`m pretty sure a lot of people hope it just went away.

I'm going to quote a controversial military figure here and say,

"This bickering is pointless."

It doesn't matter if Kathleen Kennedy is fired or replaced. Star Wars will never be the same. The system itself is broken and by system I'm not just talking about Lucasfilm. I'm talking about the movie industry itself. There is so little creativity in the industry and with every studio being so risk averse it's continuing to drive the market towards streaming content where people can binge watch shows from the comfort of their homes rather than drive 30 minutes to their local cineplex and shell out nearly $50 (including candy/ popcorn) for a so so movie. Plus the original content of say Neflix for example is far more original and compelling than most of what is churned out of Hollywood. If the movie industries started cranking out things that these streaming services do, at the rate they do and at the consistency of quality that they do we would see a radical shift of older audiences going to the cinema more often.

At least there would be viable competition. Streaming has long won the battle. Hollywood is just scrambling to keep up. It's the same cycle we experienced with the death of video stores (from my childhood) where you had a social experience talking with other people who could personally recommend movies and have social interaction because we were all in the same place talking about the same thing. We've simply traded that social interaction space for a digital one rather than a physical one, much to our simultaneous benefit and detriment. The world has become smaller with the Internet and within it we ironically retreat into ourselves all the while touting how aware we are and much better we are because we know more. Knowledge may be power, but on the whole we rarely do anything productive with it. Which is what makes the spoofs of Marty and Doc brown traveling to the ACTUAL 2015 simultaneously hilarious and profoundly sad.

We are fast becoming a culture that is content to isolate itself and have less interaction with our fellow human beings, all the while feeling the need to document our every move on social media like we are somehow more important than we actually are. The power of text has given us the ability to be even more arrogant than we thought possible. I know this is deviating a bit from the subject of movies but it is necessary to point out because our attitudes about entertainment and the shift in technology has had a monumental impact on the film industry. We live in a world of instant gratification and it's forcing studios to find new ways to get our attention.

I held out hope for so long that the theater experience would hold the sway that it did in years past. I had heard predictions that streaming would be the death of cinema, or at least put a monster dent in their profits and audience turn out. My wife and I rarely (if ever) feel the need to go to the theater anymore. While in theory it sounds great, in reality it almost never happens. Part of it is also people's schedules are so demanding that it's easier to sit at home and watch a movie rather than drive away to see one.

I think the problem with Star Wars isn't as local as we keep making it out to be. It's a problem plaguing the industry as a whole and a change in leadership isn't going to fix that. It's also a shift in the culture of entertainment and the advent of easy to access technology. I'm typing this on my phone for example and often I find that I rarely even put a blu ray in my player but am quick to stream the same movie so I don't have to get off the couch. Lazy? Absolutely. Sad in a way? Yes. Very much so, lol. But we are kidding ourselves if Kathleen Kennedy leaving is going to change the nature and habits of the consumers who watch movies.

Last edited:

- - - Updated - - -

Why post that in this thread?

Perhaps because many in this thread--yourself included--have used many of the things the Youtuber mentions as justification for why not only should we all agree with you that TLJ is a horrible steaming turd, but also why we should all scream for the removal of "Ruin Johnson" and Kathleen Kennedy... because they either propagate or condone the inclusion of these so-called "plot holes" in Star Wars, and are therefore ruining it.

Just a guess.

It doesn't matter if Kathleen Kennedy is fired or replaced. Star Wars will never be the same. The system itself is broken and by system I'm not just talking about Lucasfilm. I'm talking about the movie industry itself. There is so little creativity in the industry and with every studio being so risk averse it's continuing to drive the market towards streaming content where people can binge watch shows from the comfort of their homes rather than drive 30 minutes to their local cineplex and shell out nearly $50 (including candy/ popcorn) for a so so movie. Plus the original content of say Neflix for example is far more original and compelling than most of what is churned out of Hollywood. If the movie industries started cranking out things that these streaming services do, at the rate they do and at the consistency of quality that they do we would see a radical shift of older audiences going to the cinema more often.

At least there would be viable competition. Streaming has long won the battle. Hollywood is just scrambling to keep up. It's the same cycle we experienced with the death of video stores (from my childhood) where you had a social experience talking with other people who could personally recommend movies and have social interaction because we were all in the same place talking about the same thing. We've simply traded that social interaction space for a digital one rather than a physical one, much to our simultaneous benefit and detriment. The world has become smaller with the Internet and within it we ironically retreat into ourselves all the while touting how aware we are and much better we are because we know more. Knowledge may be power, but on the whole we rarely do anything productive with it.

We are fast becoming a culture that is content to isolate itself and have less interaction with our fellow human beings, all the while feeling the need to document our every move in social media like we are somehow more important than we actually are. The power of text has given us the ability to be even more arrogant than we thought possible. I know this is deviating a bit from the subject of movies but it is necessary to point out because our attitudes about entertainment and the shift in technology has had a monumental impact on the film industry. We live in a world of instant gratification and it's forcing studios to find new ways to get our attention.

I held out hope for so long that the theater experience would hold the sway that it did in years past. I had heard predictions that streaming would be the death of cinema, or at least put a monster dent in their profits and audience turn out. My wife and I rarely (if ever) feel the need to go to the theater anymore. While in theory it sounds great, in reality it almost never happens. Part of it is also people's schedules are so demanding that it's easier to sit at home and watch a movie rather than drive away to see one.

I think the problem with Star Wars isn't as local as we keep making it out to be. It's a problem plaguing the industry as a whole and a change in leadership isn't going to fix that. It's also a shift in the culture of entertainment and the advent of easy to access technology. I'm typing this on my phone for example and often I find that I rarely even put a blu ray in my player but am quick to stream the same movie so I don't have to get off the couch. Lazy? Absolutely. Sad in a way? Yes. Very much so, lol. But we are kidding ourselves if Kathleen Kennedy leaving is going to change the nature and habits of the consumers who watch movies.

You are so true. And when you start reading the news everyday. It's a stabbing here a shooting there. You just want to bolt your doors and turn on Netflix. Heck I feel unsafe walking into Walmart these days.

A big shout out to "The greatest generation" around the world who not only lived through WW2 and other trials of existence but went on to build a better world for us. Hard to imagine, especially in Europe, that even in the midst of being bombed just for doing it, went to the cinema to briefly escape their misery.

Without devolving too far away from the subject of entertainment it really revolves around the shift in our culture as a whole and the effect technology has had on us. I got to thinking about going to the video store as a kid and renting movies. That was such a great experience and one that I wish young people had because it forced us to be social with one another. I suppose to my parents they could have viewed the video store as my generation could view streaming in the sense that my parents would go out into town to watch movies with their friends and interact with one another. Maybe go for dinner somewhere afterward and talk about what they just watched. It's not that people don't still do that, it's that as you get older other priorities take precedent. Plus teenagers today have streaming and other forms of entertainment to hold their attention so they may not be as likely to go out with their friends if they can interact with them at home via the internet.

Going to the movies was a social experience and perhaps that demand is diminishing to the point where it won't have the impact on our culture the way it once did. Movies used to be something special, but when you can get movies anywhere and any time, they become less so. Plus they are being churned out by the millions when in years past the wealth of content wasn't so vast. For my generation I think the advent of video help solidify a sense of ownership because for the first time we could OWN a movie. In order to own films before that time you had to have a reel to reel or all kinds of expensive equipment that most people couldn't afford.

Perhaps that's why we became superfans of things like Star Wars because unlike our parents who weren't able to own the movies they loved as a kids, we DID own our favorite movies. For our parents after they watched a movie they may have had affection for it but because they could only watch it when it came to the theater (and later when it might have aired on television) they eventually outgrew the movie and moved on to other things. To them it was just a fond memory and not something they would obsess over. With the toys and other merchandise that accompanied Star Wars, we literally owned a piece of the movie itself. It was unheard of before that time.

Movie tie ins were seen as just necessary promotional material to market the movie and then trashed when the movie had run it's course. No one cared about that after it's release unless you were a hardcore cinephile or collector. Say what you will about George Lucas as a director and writer (and I have to the point where I want to vomit) but the man was a visionary who was a business and marketing genius! We grew up that way and so that informed our experience of the movies where we felt a compulsion to have a piece of it for ourselves. This forum we are talking on is the result of being raised in that mindset. I think I finally understand now what movies mean to my parents generation and what they mean to us in my generation. To my understanding the new generations may see movies as a mix of the two. Some as disposable entertainment and others as something to be celebrated and owned.

My work and my wife's work are so demanding of our time and with a long commute added to the mix we get very little time together so we try to maximize it by relaxing at home with one another and because we both love movies and good story telling with a passion, that's typically how we spend our time. Thinking back I wonder if streaming was available when I was growing up if I would have gone to the movies more or less. We live in a different era where we can get almost anything we want at the touch of a button. Literally. The touch of a button. Now we have the power to get it all in an instant and we get frustrated when it doesn't upload fast enough. What makes anyone in Hollywood honestly think they can compete with a system like that and with a generation of consumers who don't know what it's like to have to wait patiently for something? Patience isn't a virtue for most people anymore. Hollywood is a dinosaur in comparison to it's competition and I can only imagine what's to come.

From a story telling perspective you have an uphill battle because you are writing for an audience that has seen and heard it all but often has no interest or patience to learn about what came before and WHY things were as impactful the way they once were. Everything is a brand now. Everything is a product. There are few artists left and unless it's a tried and true brand they won't take the risk to make something new because the business is so desperate to stay afloat that they can't risk losing all that money.

Last edited:

But we are kidding ourselves if Kathleen Kennedy leaving is going to change the nature and habits of the consumers who watch movies.

Maybe its because its very late here but I`m having trouble seeing what the correlation between KK leaving Star Wars because she`s made some really terrible decisions and films have suffered as a result and changing the nature and habits of the consumers who watch them is. I just think we at the very least may get better Star Wars movies.

Infinity War for example whether seen on a phone or at the cinema or on the home TV is still a great movie and TLJ whether seen on any of those formats is still a terrible movie.

Last edited:

Maybe its because its very late here but I`m having trouble seeing what the correlation between KK leaving Star Wars because she`s made some really terrible decisions and films have suffered as a result and changing the nature and habits of the consumers who watch them is. I just think we at the very least may get better Star Wars movies.

How much difference do you think it will make? I mean aside from swapping directors, which when you start digging seems to happen a fair bit these days. Just look at the next Bond film. How much of the story, dialogue, and characters are a result of her imput? As far as I can tell the only thing she can take credit for is Captain Phasma. And that just happened because she saw the concept art hanging on the wall, thought a chrome stormtrooper looked cool, and suggested that it be included somewhere. But even with that it was J.J. who decided it should be female, who to cast, and who wrote Phasma into TFA.

I agree with you that she's made bad decisions, but because the system is broken it doesn't matter who they hire. It's not 1977 anymore and you simply can't make those kinds of movies anymore and have the same impact Lucas did. There are almost no visionaries left and Lucasfilm isn't going to hire any of them because it's too risky a business move.

My overall point is that we are trying to treat the sickness rather than cure the sickness. Until people recognize that I think we are just going to keep going in circles. Besides which there isn't anything left to tell in the Star Wars films that hasn't already been told in my opinion. As I stated before, outside of the original three, everything and I mean everything else is simply filler. Non essential.

Obviously you only post here because its popular and fear that if you post in the threads where your points are relevant, they will get no response`s but that doesnt change the fact that the mods have asked to keep on topic on multiple occasions, which you have acknowledged yet ignored on multiple occasions. No one is asking you to fill this thread with anything by the way. I`m pretty sure a lot of people hope it just went away.

Dude, this thread is dead. There is no "there" there. Kathleen Kennedy is still working for LFL. She hasn't been fired. It's highly unlikely she will be fired. In the not-quite-three months since this thread was posted, nothing has happened to substantiate the original article. Nothing. If posting "off topic" is to be prohibited, the mods might as well lock this thread and move on.

How long do we have to wait before we admit that (1) the original article posted was a bulls**t rumor, and (2) this thread has basically just become another avenue for people to continue bitching about the current direction of Star Wars vs. people defending the current direction of Star Wars, because God knows we don't have enough of THAT on this forum...

>snip<

Agreed. Although I'll watch a bluray if I have a copy of it, if only because I find the video quality generally better and more consistent than a streaming feed.

A big shout out to "The greatest generation" around the world who not only lived through WW2 and other trials of existence but went on to build a better world for us. Hard to imagine, especially in Europe, that even in the midst of being bombed just for doing it, went to the cinema to briefly escape their misery.

Why post that in this thread?

;)

Without devolving too far away from the subject of entertainment it really revolves around the shift in our culture as a whole and the effect technology has had on us. I got to thinking about going to the video store as a kid and renting movies. That was such a great experience and one that I wish young people had because it forced us to be social with one another. I suppose to my parents they could have viewed the video store as my generation could view streaming in the sense that my parents would go out into town to watch movies with their friends and interact with one another. Maybe go for dinner somewhere afterward and talk about what they just watched. It's not that people don't still do that, it's that as you get older other priorities take precedent. Plus teenagers today have streaming and other forms of entertainment to hold their attention so they may not be as likely to go out with their friends if they can interact with them at home via the internet.

Going to the movies was a social experience and perhaps that demand is diminishing to the point where it won't have the impact on our culture the way it once did. Movies used to be something special, but when you can get movies anywhere and any time, they become less so. Plus they are being churned out by the millions when in years past the wealth of content wasn't so vast. For my generation I think the advent of video help solidify a sense of ownership because for the first time we could OWN a movie. In order to own films before that time you had to have a reel to reel or all kinds of expensive equipment that most people couldn't afford.

Perhaps that's why we became superfans of things like Star Wars because unlike our parents who weren't able to own the movies they loved as a kids, we DID own our favorite movies. For our parents after they watched a movie they may have had affection for it but because they could only watch it when it came to the theater (and later when it might have aired on television) they eventually outgrew the movie and moved on to other things. To them it was just a fond memory and not something they would obsess over. With the toys and other merchandise that accompanied Star Wars, we literally owned a piece of the movie itself. It was unheard of before that time.

Movie tie ins were seen as just necessary promotional material to market the movie and then trashed when the movie had run it's course. No one cared about that after it's release unless you were a hardcore cinephile or collector. Say what you will about George Lucas as a director and writer (and I have to the point where I want to vomit) but the man was a visionary who was a business and marketing genius! We grew up that way and so that informed our experience of the movies where we felt a compulsion to have a piece of it for ourselves. This forum we are talking on is the result of being raised in that mindset. I think I finally understand now what movies mean to my parents generation and what they mean to us in my generation. To my understanding the new generations may see movies as a mix of the two. Some as disposable entertainment and others as something to be celebrated and owned.

I just wanted to say that I think that's a very astute observation re: the generational approaches to ownership of/fandom for films and film franchises, and I agree with it. I think literal ownership of copies -- which we could watch whenever we wanted to, and over and over and over again -- created a sense of "ownership" of the films themselves. That said, I've owned copies of other films and my connection to them has been different from my connection to stuff like Star Wars. The stuff that strikes a chord of fandom for me is ultimately different from the stuff I just enjoy. I own copies (on DVD) of the early 2000s Spider Man films, and the first two X-men movies...but I haven't rewatched them in God knows how long, and they're sitting in a bin in a storage container until I move into my new house and then likely jettison a lot of the old junk I've been hauling around for decades.

I agree with you that she's made bad decisions, but because the system is broken it doesn't matter who they hire. It's not 1977 anymore and you simply can't make those kinds of movies anymore and have the same impact Lucas did. There are almost no visionaries left and Lucasfilm isn't going to hire any of them because it's too risky a business move.

My overall point is that we are trying to treat the sickness rather than cure the sickness. Until people recognize that I think we are just going to keep going in circles. Besides which there isn't anything left to tell in the Star Wars films that hasn't already been told in my opinion. As I stated before, outside of the original three, everything and I mean everything else is simply filler. Non essential.

I actually think the "new frontier" of digital streaming is where you see the more "original" content and stuff that's closer to the spirit of filmmaking you saw in the 70s and 80s. For one thing, there's a desire for ever more original content developed in-house, and for another there's a recognition that niche products can actually gain wider popularity. Take Stranger Things, for example. Sure, Netflix the company greenlit the project due to datamining and figuring out what specific elements viewers want to watch...but the Duffer Bros. came up with the story themselves. I doubt some suit at Netflix said "Build me a movie that combines the 80s, kids on bikes, psychic powers, alternate dimensions and the nasty monsters that live there, and references to D&D." More likely, the Duffer Bros. pitched it, Netflix checked its data mining and said "I think that sounds great!" and we were off to the races.

It strikes me that there is basically ZERO chance that Stranger Things: the Movie would've been greenlit by Sony Pictures or whatever, because it's just...so out there. But on streaming, it has a chance, and then has a chance to grow thanks to internal (to the site), targeted promotion and word of mouth. Which, in turn, leads to the greenlighting of the IT remake, which even stars one of the kids from...Stranger Things, and gets a time bump from the '50s to (surprise!) the '80s. So, sure, streaming is killing one form of entertainment, but it's also opening another, as has "prestige cable" and the era of "peak TV." I'm actually glad for this, because as much as I enjoy the huge scale of the cineplex, I also enjoy the longer form storytelling that streaming/prestige drama provides.

Last edited by a moderator:

God, that was painful to watch and even more painful to listen to. Who is this Plinkett cat and did he just recover from a stroke or something?

He's been around since post-TPM at least. It's a character that the guys at Red Letter Media do who gained internet prominence by picking apart the problems he saw with TPM, and then the remaining prequel films. Not sure if they ever did the OT, though. Partially because people agreed with many of the complaints about TPM, though, Plinkett has gained a kind of legitimacy among fans with respect to his critique. It's been a long time since I watched his videos, though, mostly because I no longer care to spend an hour (or more?) listening to/watching a video of a guy talk funny while critiquing a film I either like or dislike.

It's funny you mention Stranger Things. That was the one show that kept coming to mind as I was writing those two long posts. I love that show and have had more enjoyment and deep fandom for that and others on streaming services than I have from most movies being released.

There is a real satisfaction to the more long form story telling and it's not like streaming is bad by any means. I just think like with the advent of video changing the market in the 1980's and the consumer side of film releases so we are seeing a major shift in the film industry again currently. Some of it good. Some of it bad. To my mind it's the next major shift in the industry. Plus there is a huge push (even more so because of the success of shows like Stranger Things) to make shows/ movies set in the 1980's in order to capitalize on the trend.

I enjoy the Red Letter Media reviews. I'll agree that the Plinkett character is not for everyone (though I love him) and while I don't always agree with all of their assessments, I do give them a lot of credit in being able to help me articulate my thoughts on movies in a more coherent way and their reviews have helped me become more critical of my own writing. I was open to constructive criticism before but their observations are so astute that I often find myself trying to be ruthless with my own creative work in order to make it as good as I possibly can.

So, since this rumor apparently has a rumored timeframe in which it will occur, is there some sort of deadline after which we can say it’s dead? Maybe if October comes with no word?

Or will it transition from being a rumor thread to a wish thread?

How long do we have to wait before we admit that (1) the original article posted was a bulls**t rumor, and (2) this thread has basically just become another avenue for people to continue bitching about the current direction of Star Wars vs. people defending the current direction of Star Wars, because God knows we don't have enough of THAT on this forum...
Yep, I asked something similar to this pages ago (quoted) but no one seemed interested in answering my on-topic question.

As a result I can only conclude that we’re transitioning into “wish thread” territory.

Thankfully, Disney has supplied an official “wish thread” theme, which may be sung in order to turn rumor dreams into... something else.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's been a long time since I watched any of their reviews, but I skimmed in about 10 min or so the TLJ one. I wasn't really impressed. It's a lot of surface level criticisms that boil down to "They made stupid decisions" or "People make mistakes in this film" or "people did things I wouldn't have done." Other than that, it seems more like just another rehashing of why someone didn't like the film (which is valid) vs. why the film is objectively poorly made. I don't see those two as the same thing.

Like, I find a lot of Eric Clapton's work to be...I dunno. Just kinda "blah." It doesn't move me. It's not what I want to listen to. Layla is a great song, but the thrilling part of it is Duane Allman's slide guitar, not Clapton's stuff. Nevertheless, I respect Clapton as an artist and recognize that, although he doesn't do much for me aesthetically, he's undeniably talented at his craft. Some of that might be because I actually play guitar, so I recognize the technical mastery and raw talent that goes into someone like Clapton being able to do what he does, even though it doesn't do it for me. But, you know, I'm not a drummer or a bassist, and I can still recognize objectively good drummers (Neil Peart, Stuart Copeland) as opposed to ones whom I enjoy, but who seem kind of technically sloppy (Keith Moon).

I started thinking about my reaction to the prequels after skimming the TLJ review from Red Letter Media. Initially, when the first Plinkett reviews came out, I thought they were great takedowns of TPM. My dim recollection is that their takedowns of later films in the prequels were a bit weaker. I haven't paid attention since then. Now I can't help but wonder how many of my criticisms of TPM were based on objective failures in the film vs. my own subjective dissatisfaction with the story being told. I've since come to terms with the idea that, for example, ROTS isn't a bad movie, it's just one that's telling a story that I don't enjoy nearly as much as I might have otherwise. Not sure about AOTC. My sense is that it's a disjointed film, and that its stars give weak performances (although, given how well I've seen them all act in other things, I suspect that's more due to weak direction than anything else), but I can't recall if it's actually objectively bad, or just has stuff in it that I don't really like. Put another way, I think it's dumb to include the 1950s Space Diner, but...that doesn't make it a bad film. Just one I don't enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back