Another Imperial Probe Droid model kit

jusdrewit

Sr Member
Was inspired by many of the talented folks here. My first model kit since I was a teenager. Bought it from JPG Productions with lighting kit. Kit was nicely made, had to use my own steel rod though as the one they provided was too flimsy. Made a few mistakes along the way so go easy on me! Anyways had a lot of fun, excited for my next one

received_10155879867168666.jpeg

received_10155879867083666.jpeg

received_10155879867188666.jpeg

received_10155879867223666.jpeg

received_10155879865333666.jpeg

received_10155879864673666.jpeg

received_10155879865253666.jpeg

received_10155879865348666.jpeg

received_10155879864928666.jpeg

received_10155879864658666.jpeg

Last edited:
That is wonderful!- I love the semi-metallic sheen on the body, what paint did you use?

Thank you! It was just a custom mix of acrylics: mostly flat black, a pinch of dark blue, and some dark grays. I did two layers of that with my airbrush and let it dry. Next I worked up a tiny portion of enamel flat black with the vast majority of it being thinner and lightly misted it that over the model doing a few passes of that. After that I worked up some rust colors acrylics, mostly browns and oranges thinned with lots of water and dry brushed that around the model. I wiped that off quickly to add some depth and weathering to the paint. Lastly, I sealed everything with a matte coat.

I'm guessing the matte coat helped with the semi-metallic sheen.

I just ordered one yesterday. Looking forward to getting started on it. From other reviews the castings look very clean with little work required prior to priming. Any tips on assembly or painting you can pass on would be appriciated.

I just ordered one yesterday. Looking forward to getting started on it. From other reviews the castings look very clean with little work required prior to priming. Any tips on assembly or painting you can pass on would be appriciated.

I had to do a little bit of sanding on the legs and trimming with an x-acto given the fine pistons and such on the probots legs and claws- but this is pretty standard on all models. The clear plastic rod he sent to support the model I didn't use - not sure if he will continue to send them as he inquired why I didn't use it, so he might phase that out. This was mainly because with the battery/and apoxy I had laid down inside so the battery fit snug, it became a little top heavy for the clear rod and the model tipped slightly. I just went to Ace Hardware and purchased a steel rod the same thickness and cut it to the same length which provided a lot more stability. A dremel was handy to drill the hole in for the fiber optic and to cut my steel rod and to drill the hole in the snow where it fits.

Painting also went smooth, did my primer and the next day did my acrylics and washes after that. Glued the 'eyes' and final weathering last. Was really pleased with the speed of which I received my product and how it was packaged as well. JPG loved seeing the finished product on Facebook as well when I shared it on messenger. I would definitely buy another kit from him.

Good luck, can't wait to see your result!

Mine just came in today, fast shipping! Anyone wants to see the parts prior to building the model let me know. Very little filling of holes required if none at all, some filing and fitting but all in all quite a nice kit for a resin cast.

Man, the color is hard to nail down. Seems every picture of it looks different. Read an old post were most were putting too much brown in the mix. I am looking at possibly Tamiya the German Grey with maybe a few drops of black and olive green. What primer you go with?

Man, the color is hard to nail down. Seems every picture of it looks different. Read an old post were most were putting too much brown in the mix. I am looking at possibly Tamiya the German Grey with maybe a few drops of black and olive green. What primer you go with?

Color is real hard! Some shots look Bluish/black grey, and others it has a slight brownish tint. I went the blueish/black mixture and then applied some brown/rust washes to try and get a mixture of two.

As for primer, I just did a pretty standard medium gray.

Ok, off to a good start. Using tamiya german grey with a dark olive green then hit it with a combination of craft store black thinned way down and some acrylic floor wax with matt medium to get a semi gloss.

probe droid.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back