advice with molding latex

Customrelic

From what i know, there isnt really a lot of options when it comes to making a mold from a latex piece. Can anyone help with ideas? I was always told gypsum was the way to go, but with new products showing up on the market all the time, i didnt know if anyone had a suggestion. I could greatly use any help with this. Thanks for the help

As with any mold, a lot of it comes down to the specific shape and composition (is it hollow latex, or has it been filled with something to hold its shape?) of the actual object and what you want to cast the final pieces in.

The piece is a thick latex filled with foam. It will definitely hold its shape under weight or strain of a mold. Id like the final piece to be either cast in silicone or latex and foam filled. But again, im open to any suggestions. I just dont know my options

As with any mold, a lot of it comes down to the specific shape and composition (is it hollow latex, or has it been filled with something to hold its shape?) of the actual object and what you want to cast the final pieces in.

I figured it out. It came out perfect. A couple hundred views i thought more than 1 person would help? Thanks man

Glad you sorted it out.

If you're casting in latex, then a stone or plaster mold is ideal. The porosity allows you to dwell the latex to build up a thickness. Use a non-porous mold, and you'll have to build up thin layers a little at a time, which is always kind of a bummer.

If you're doing silicone, keep in mind you'll want to stick with tin silicone so as not to have the presence of latex inhibit a platinum. You could still cast that in a stone mold, or pretty much anything else, provided you release the master accordingly. The downside of gypsum is that it degrades faster than other materials, so if you were to need a bunch of castings in silicone, you might go for something more durable, but expense often comes into play, too, so it really comes down to your needs and preferences.

Glad you sorted it out.

If you're casting in latex, then a stone or plaster mold is ideal. The porosity allows you to dwell the latex to build up a thickness. Use a non-porous mold, and you'll have to build up thin layers a little at a time, which is always kind of a bummer.

If you're doing silicone, keep in mind you'll want to stick with tin silicone so as not to have the presence of latex inhibit a platinum. You could still cast that in a stone mold, or pretty much anything else, provided you release the master accordingly. The downside of gypsum is that it degrades faster than other materials, so if you were to need a bunch of castings in silicone, you might go for something more durable, but expense often comes into play, too, so it really comes down to your needs and preferences.

What i ended up doing was sealing the latex bust with several layers of removable sealer. Its a finished bust so I didn’t want to ruin it by doing this. I then sprayed it heavily with a mold release. I used a brush on 40 urethane to make the mold and plasti paste for the mother mold. Mold came out perfect with all detail and did not damage the latex bust. Thanks for the advice

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back