Master Replica Vader FX grips are very sticky

Just wanted to say thanks for the tips and advice.

Got my Luke ANH out for Halloween and the grips were incredibly sticky. Grabbed a bottle of 50% IPA and some gauze pads and a few minutes later the stickiness was gone.

Who would have thought that Indian Pale Ale had such a use.

...Oh, wait...

After seeing the title of this thread and reading the first post it reminded me of a problem that I had with my Canon EOS battery holder/grip. It turns out that they used a type of clearcoating to give the grips a matt finish and over time it has degraded and become sticky. I went to my closet and pulled out my Vader FX Saber and found that the grips were exhibiting the same problem.

The problem with pulling the grips and replacing them with what's out there is not really the notch cut for the battery cover but that the curvature on the FX saber is wider and deeper so they replacements will stand off further... probably more like the originals but not like the FX saber.

I was able to clean off the sticky clearcoat from my camera battery cover by using alcohol and one of those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. I figured I'd try the same method on the saber grips.

It worked quite well... although it will leave very slight scratches on the plastic of the grips. The Magic Erasers are essentially very mildly abrasive. I guess if you wanted to you could mask the grips and give them a coat of Plasti Dip spray.

Here's quick photo showing the difference. The sticky one on the left and the cleaned grip on the right. It's hard to see due to the black grips but the cleaned one is smooth with no sticky residue.

DISCLAIMER: As I mentioned, the eraser sponges ARE abrasive. Use them at your own risk. I detected no damage to the chrome on mine. The cloudiness on the chrome you see in the picture is from the alcohol drying.

http://propaholics.wolfchasers.com/uploader/users/public/w41162photo 3-1f103.jpg

I just thought I'd give a little bump this this thread. I tried the fix above and it totally works! I documented it if anyone runs into this trouble.....

Last edited by a moderator:
After seeing the title of this thread and reading the first post it reminded me of a problem that I had with my Canon EOS battery holder/grip. It turns out that they used a type of clearcoating to give the grips a matt finish and over time it has degraded and become sticky. I went to my closet and pulled out my Vader FX Saber and found that the grips were exhibiting the same problem.

The problem with pulling the grips and replacing them with what's out there is not really the notch cut for the battery cover but that the curvature on the FX saber is wider and deeper so they replacements will stand off further... probably more like the originals but not like the FX saber.

I was able to clean off the sticky clearcoat from my camera battery cover by using alcohol and one of those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. I figured I'd try the same method on the saber grips.

It worked quite well... although it will leave very slight scratches on the plastic of the grips. The Magic Erasers are essentially very mildly abrasive. I guess if you wanted to you could mask the grips and give them a coat of Plasti Dip spray.

Here's quick photo showing the difference. The sticky one on the left and the cleaned grip on the right. It's hard to see due to the black grips but the cleaned one is smooth with no sticky residue.

DISCLAIMER: As I mentioned, the eraser sponges ARE abrasive. Use them at your own risk. I detected no damage to the chrome on mine. The cloudiness on the chrome you see in the picture is from the alcohol drying.

http://propaholics.wolfchasers.com/uploader/users/public/w41162photo 3-1f103.jpg
I just wanted to reply to say thanks to surfergeek because this method using alcohol and magic erasers worked great! Only issue I had was that the chrome piece at the base of the hilt is not actual metal, it's plastic with a metal paint job over it. So before I realized that I had already rubbed off the chrome on a couple parts of it trying to get the edges of the rubber.

So be careful of that if you use this method but otherwise it worked brilliantly​. My saber looks brand new again!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Which saber did you do that on? I just used alcohol and Q-tips and it worked. I don't know if the sticky comes back or not though. I didn't rub chrome off anything though.

You need to remove all that rubbery surface, and all that remains in the end to be the plastic. Otherwise the grips will become gooey and sticky again

Which saber did you do that on? I just used alcohol and Q-tips and it worked. I don't know if the sticky comes back or not though. I didn't rub chrome off anything though.

Yeah, I just did this with a MR LE Vader hilt this week using cotton balls and isopropyl alcohol, no abrasives and the process took about 10 minutes. Will probably clean up the remaining residue with Goo Gone and Q-Tips. No disassembly, no scratches, super easy.

I'm glad this post is here. I just pulled my damaged 2002 MR Anakin AOTC Saber out to pull the electronics out of it, and the grips were sticky as hell...After finding this thread, I tried some alcohol (semi-effective), and then tried this product we have at our office to clean duct tape residue off of our rubber covered XLR mic cables. It took some elbow grease but seems to have cleaned "most" of the gunk off. I'm anxious to see how long these grips might stay "Goop" free.... The product is Duck's Deluxe Equipment Cleaner and Power Cord Restorer. I'll post a photo of the bottle and try to go find a link to it if anyone wants to try this on their MR sticky grips.
Silicone cleaner.jpg

http://www.ducksdeluxe.com/ddrestor.html

I have this issue with my DV ESB Saber but NOT my DV ANH Saber. Odd?

If I can't clean the grips I will just replace them with stuff from Wannawanga or some other seller?

Ok All... I've read and RE-Read and RE-READ AGAIN All of the Comments and solutions to this problem and here is what I JUST DID TONIGHT!

I took the Battery pack out... and stuffed a clean dry rag inside the battery compartment at the end of the hilt...
Then I took a slightly damp, Green Abrasive scrubby with a VERY SMALL amount of liquid dish soap and some Kitchen Cleanser like Comet or AJAX and holding the saber with the tip of the blade UP towards the ceiling and the end on an old dish towel on the kitchen sink counter near the sink, I began Scrubbing the SNOT Out of EACH and EVERY Black T-Grip AND the areas in between! I made SURE I got into EVERY CREVACE and NOOK and CRANY! Once I went completely around TWICE I then took a clean damp dish rag and wiped off all the soapy residue. Then I dried it off STILL holding it TIP UP and checked it in bright light and felt it all around! I did this procedure a total of THREE TIMES and it is NOW COMPLETELY Clean and NON-STICKY!

Then I looked for any Stickers and sticker residue on the entire hilt and did the same thing working in small areas so as NOT to risk getting moisture INSIDE the Lightsaber Hilt!

Once I was satisfied, I took the rag out of the hilt, and used a Hair Dryer on Medium to dry it off and out so that NO MOISTURE was left ANYWHERE!

Again once I was satisfied I then re-assembled the Light Saber, Fired it up and WHA-LA! It's GOOD AS NEW! NO STICY ****, NO RESIDUE and NO Scratches or Blemished ANYWHERE! :D

DONE! 'NUFF SAID!

Yes, it is a bit of work no matter which way to clean up you choose. The thing is to completely clean the rubbery surface layer from the ABS t-tracks. Then you remain with non sticky plastic t-tracks.

How timely that this thread should pop up. I have had the same problem with my MR Vader saber and also noticed it just the other day with my two MR mini sabers. I will be reading through this and trying to get them clean.

Yea I suggest trying the easiest/cheapest solutions first and work your way up! I just had the green scrubbys and Kitchen Cleanser on hand and thought I would give it a go. I worked AND it cost me nothing! So WIN-WIN I say! :D

Joe

I found rubbing alcohol worked really well.
I guess it's a matter of HOW Sticky/Crudded Up they are?! MINE were HORRIBLE! It was almost like... Old Molasses had been smeared on the ENTIRE Hilt!
But from what I know... the guy I bought it from said it had ONLY been on Display and never used! That I am pretty certain is TRUE! But ALSO it seems that wherever it was "On Display" at it accumulated ALOT of Crud on it! Because the ENTIRE Lightsaber, blade, hilt and ALL were gummed up! Sort of like how old grease gets tacky on the back of a stove or backsplash of a stove if it isn't cleaned regularly! THAT was how mine was!
But NOT Anymore! NOW Mine is all SHINY and Nice! :D

Joe

I recently unpacked my Master Replica FX Lightsabers and am having a problem with the grips on the Darth Vader lightsaber. They are all sticky. It was stored in the original box in the house so it was in A/C and not exposed to heat. I was wondering if anybody else is having this problem with the Vader grips getting sticky with age. If so, is there a way to clean them so they are not sticky? Or, alternately does anybody have a acceptable replacement for the rubber like grips that are glued to the lightsaber hilt? I should mention this is the original MR FX Darth Vader saber.

Thanks, Paul
Yes I experienced this with my 2005 ESB Vader and my Anakin ROTS hilts. With mine I got some cotton balls and rubbing alcohol and with a little patience and not rubbing so hard that you tear your cotton ball up, it will remove all of that rubberized coating and leave you with grips that feel just like the common hard plastic t tracks on any of the Graflex or Heiland replicas that I have built. I hope this response doesn't come so late that you've torn it up or anything removing those other t tracks. Good luck

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back