Mad Max: Fury Road

Why not take the time to teach him? Perhaps because they were like typical movie shoots, horribly pressed for time in every possible way, and thinking of all the better things they could be teaching / conditioning Hardy for with that time.

If they wanted to show Hardy shifting then it would have probably been an insert shot even if Hardy was driving a real stick on the set. It's not a big deal. If they want to show the car being a stick then they won't let Hardy stand in the way.

Last edited:
The Fast and Furious movies took the actors to driving school, heck even the Matrix movies had the actors go to driving school
school. One of the F&F actors DIDNT HAVE an actual license until they went to driving school, learning stick plus other driving stunts, even though their driving screen time was like 5 minutes. If the budget was high enough, a 2 week class couldve helped him learn at least a small bit of a manal transmission

Maybe everyone involved in the production loves Tom Hardy so much that they don't want anything to be an inconvenience for him.

Yeah. Let's not concern ourselves wuth good plot or story. ..dude can't drive stick! He movie SUX!! LOL

I get what you're saying, but I think people react this way because it suggests that the filmmakers aren't really that concerned with turning out a good product. If you're making a sequel, and one of the factors from the previous movies was that the car was a manual and the driver could drive it, to simply remove that and be like "Whatevs. Doesn't matter," suggests a degree of disregard for the source material and fidelity thereto. Basically, it just comes across as yet more indication that they really don't care about making a particularly good film in the sense of "True to the original stuff" and are more just capitalizing on the name and a generalized feel. Which, y'know, a ton of crappy Italian B-movies did in the 1980s, just with a lower budget.

Based on what we know so far, Max may hardly touch a steering wheel again for the rest of the movie after the opening scene when he wrecks & gets captured.

Actually, that's a pretty good point...

But, I don't think they would actually make it a green car with auto transmission...sounds like people are getting wound up for a rumor.

Based on what we know so far, Max may hardly touch a steering wheel again for the rest of the movie after the opening scene when he wrecks & gets captured.

Yeah, forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think ONE member mentioned an article comment rumour (the most reliable source) about Tom Hardy possibly not knowing how to drive stick, and now we have a whole page trashtalking the film and actor?

Sorry, I just keep clicking on this thread hoping for something new and this round of discussion is just becoming hilarious to me.

I get what you're saying, but I think people react this way because it suggests that the filmmakers aren't really that concerned with turning out a good product. If you're making a sequel, and one of the factors from the previous movies was that the car was a manual and the driver could drive it, to simply remove that and be like "Whatevs. Doesn't matter," suggests a degree of disregard for the source material and fidelity thereto. Basically, it just comes across as yet more indication that they really don't care about making a particularly good film in the sense of "True to the original stuff" and are more just capitalizing on the name and a generalized feel. Which, y'know, a ton of crappy Italian B-movies did in the 1980s, just with a lower budget.

Manual transmissions were much more prevalent when Road Warrior was made. In fact you would likely have a hard time finding an automatic transmission equipped car in Australia in the early '80's. Although i prefer manual shifting for a sports car, for making a film where you want your actor to be doing action scenes whine driving, an automatic does free his right (or in this case left) hand up to shoot a gun or whatever. I just mean from a production standpoint, obviously you can do both as you are not constantly shifting, but it might be easier this way.

Although i prefer manual shifting for a sports car, for making a film where you want your actor to be doing action scenes whine driving, an automatic does free his right (or in this case left) hand up to shoot a gun or whatever. I just mean from a production standpoint, obviously you can do both as you are not constantly shifting, but it might be easier this way.

This.

Plenty of actors know how to drive a car with an automatic. But movie crews these days still routinely build (automatic) prop cars with remote-drive setups for another driver (on the passenger side, or roof, etc) just to free up the actor so he can focus on acting while the cameras are on him. Giving an actor an automatic version of a supposedly-manual vehicle is the same principle.

The original Mad Max was shot with a grand total of one Interceptor. It wasn't required to do stunts for that movie so much as just look cool. They built a second stunt car for Road Warrior (I'm not sure if that was manual or auto) but the point is the original car wasn't made with modern stuntwork in mind. The MM#1&2 Interceptors had much smaller rollcages than the Fury Road Interceptors have, too. Movie stunt cars have done some evolving in the last 35 years.

I'm curious to know how many Interceptors were made for Fury Road. Just wish they kept the two tanks in the back rather than one. Just looks cooler that way. :cool

Agreed on the tanks.

I wonder if that idea was conceived back when the movie was going to be MM#1.5, and they just never went back to dual tanks once they had abandoned the old continuity. I can't imagine anyone thinking it looked better with one tank.

Manual transmissions were much more prevalent when Road Warrior was made. In fact you would likely have a hard time finding an automatic transmission equipped car in Australia in the early '80's. Although i prefer manual shifting for a sports car, for making a film where you want your actor to be doing action scenes whine driving, an automatic does free his right (or in this case left) hand up to shoot a gun or whatever. I just mean from a production standpoint, obviously you can do both as you are not constantly shifting, but it might be easier this way.

Yeah, I mean, practically speaking, it makes sense that they'd use an automatic. Personally, I don't think it's a big deal. You can have shots of the car look like an automatic, and then do some interior shot with his hand on a shifter. Doesn't have to appear in the same shot. Or you have a "shifter" that's really more like "P, R, N, D, D1, D2, D3" but which can't be distinguished in a long shot from an actual manual shifter.

This.

Plenty of actors know how to drive a car with an automatic. But movie crews these days still routinely build (automatic) prop cars with remote-drive setups for another driver (on the passenger side, or roof, etc) just to free up the actor so he can focus on acting while the cameras are on him. Giving an actor an automatic version of a supposedly-manual vehicle is the same principle.

The original Mad Max was shot with a grand total of one Interceptor. It wasn't required to do stunts for that movie so much as just look cool. They built a second stunt car for Road Warrior (I'm not sure if that was manual or auto) but the point is the original car wasn't made with modern stuntwork in mind. The MM#1&2 Interceptors had much smaller rollcages than the Fury Road Interceptors have, too. Movie stunt cars have done some evolving in the last 35 years.

One would hope! If memory serves, MM2 had an incident with one of the stunt guys breaking his back (I think when his bike hits something and he goes literally end-over-end in the air). While the old days of stuntwork are visually thrilling, they were also WAY more dangerous, so I'm ok with folks cutting corners and using modern technology to avoid having to do unnecessarily risky stunts. (Plus it keeps the insurance costs down.)

Yeah, forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think ONE member mentioned an article comment rumour (the most reliable source) about Tom Hardy possibly not knowing how to drive stick, and now we have a whole page trashtalking the film and actor?

Sorry, I just keep clicking on this thread hoping for something new and this round of discussion is just becoming hilarious to me.

Again, I think what you're seeing isn't so much about the individual issue, as much as it is about a general feeling of the direction this film has gone. It looks like a lot of folks think the film is really a "successor in name only" kind of film, given how much it deviates from the vibe of the originals. While I think it's unrealistic to expect a totally faithful recreation of the old days, this one, from the trailer, seems to be a lot more given to excess in a way that makes me question how well told the story will be.

Saw the trailers for this and they got me really pumped for this film, when it occured to me I haven't even seen the originals yet. Watched all 3 back to back last night and now I'm even more excited for it. Felt the world building in the last 2 films was great and really glad it looks like they're re-visiting that. Also the best parts of each film for me were the car and action sequences so I'm glad to read this new film is going to be mostly action. Should be pretty awesome when it comes out.

http://io9.com/mad-max-fury-road-pics-are-so-metal-1677764025

altt3owhnqmtk5ixxonx.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back