Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

Well, consider the source.

Why do you read that garbage?

I couldn’t resist...I am such a masochist that when I saw the link saying that “Star Wars fans suck” my reaction was “tell me more about how badly I suck”...instant click-bait.

Wow...OK.

Now I see why so many fans are upset...this is just horribly toxic article that is waaaaaaay off base:

https://www.esquire.com/entertainme...wars-kelly-marie-tran-harassment-controversy/

Geezo whiz...this hits me right in my cold, dead, man-baby heart :(

Just read that article, sheesh, that was about the most insulting article I've read yet about TLJ.

I need to let my wife's best friend read it so I can get the progressive response. She absolutely HATED ... I mean HATED TLJ and she's your liberal's liberal. She make's most progressive's look like 80's Reaganites. So, if liberal/progressives don't like the movie what then? Their argument kinda falls apart.

-OWK

Wow...OK.

Now I see why so many fans are upset...this is just horribly toxic article that is waaaaaaay off base:

https://www.esquire.com/entertainme...wars-kelly-marie-tran-harassment-controversy/

Geezo whiz...this hits me right in my cold, dead, man-baby heart :(

WOW!!! That's it for me. I'm out! That article is JUST as divisive as the people they claim to write about. I'm washing my hands of these threads. I'm going back to the workshop to have fun and build things that put smiles on "peoples" faces.

The fact you think JJ Abrams, of all people, is lazy, is just further proof your FilmIQ is in the toilet.

I think sometimes he's lazy.

Of the possibilities, that's the NICE one.

His films have HUGE planet sized plot holes in them. It's practically become his trademark. Now either he didn't realize that, and is just not that bright, or he did and just shrugged and said "Who cares, it's just a movie, not worth the bother."

Now the evidence we have suggests that he's definitely NOT stupid. He's actually done some pretty impressive and brilliant things.

SO that leaves...he didn't think plugging planet sized plot holes was worth the bother. That's lazy. Maybe he's not always lazy. Maybe there have even times when he's got tons of go-get-em attitude, but in Star Trek and Star Wars, there were many, many times when he decided that it just wasn't worth the bother.

Manoman, this thing got going like an avalanche. Ten pages in a day and a half. Eesh! And 23 pages of pretty much nothing, based on non-news. I understand more of this than I can talk about, because several would take my observations as personal attacks, which fits the model perfectly, and is all part of what I can't get into because it splashes merrily about in the deep end of socio-political discussion and I don't feel like being the whackee of the Banhammer. A couple things, though...

If somebody who has never written, directed, produced, or been on the brain trust of the SW franchise deems only 2 of 10 films as legit, they need to come to terms with the fact that perhaps the franchise isn't meant for them, and they are not the expert on exactly who the films are for.

Not that you have to like them all to be a fan, but you'd think with numbers like that The Wook might be sharp enough to say, "you know, maybe this isn't for me."

It's amused me from the get-go, because IQ is not a measurement of how much one knows. It's a measure of how well one learns and assimilates new information, coupled with problem-solving ability. The mere fact that "SWIQ" is based in how much derivative work hews to the first two films in the series is prety much anti-IQ. And griping repeatedly about the directions taken away from those films is a good example of non-problem-solving.

It's why I turn my energy to my re-writes. Even if it's just a fun mental exercise that will never get turned into movies, I'm at least tackling the question of "okay, smart guy -- what would you do different?" I'm addressing the things I noticed, the things others have called out that I agree with, etc. I run into new quandries, wrestle with them, eventually resolve them, peer-review generalities and specifics... *shrug* It's enough for now that this form of the Star Wars saga exists in the universe.

***** is the ultimate Hero's Journey...

Complete with the final step -- apotheosis -- that Obi-Wan, Yoda, Luke, and Anakin all share, as well as Heracles, Orion, Castor and Pollux, etc., etc. Transubstantiation to the heavens to dwell eternally with God/the gods/the Force.

Which is my biggest constructive criticism with the new trilogy. Well, first, that it should be three trilogies, not just one, for each central Hero -- Obi-Wan, Luke, and Rey. But each Hero's arc begins and ends in the wrong place, episodically speaking. The ninth film in the saga, the last of Obi-Wan's arc, should be ANH. It's his Final Trial and Apotheosis, and the introduction of the new Hero. Similarly, there needs to be a lot more between ROTJ and TFA to smooth the transition. 45 minutes would probably be sufficient. But the three or four films that TFA and TLJ together should have been would be the last of Luke's arc, ending with his Final Trial and Apotheosis, and Rey just coming into her own, as Luke did at the end of ANH. So we'd just now be getting on to the Rey-centric arc.

I'd be all for a couple Star Wars movies a year coming out, if they could have started from Episode I and gone ever forward, as Marvel has with its cinematic universe. And had a skilled story-crafter finessing all the ideas from all the Powers That Be into a workable narrative that keeps everyone engaged. All of the broad elements of all the Star Wars movies to date work... It's just that many could have been done so much better so easily. I'm never going to get into the blame game. Credit and criticism where it's due, yes. I'm not going to attack anyone or resort to ad hominem buzz-word-filled diatribes, though. And of all the people I see involved in Star Wars currently, I have far more issue with Pablo Hidalgo than I do with Kathleen Kennedy.

Isn't it amazing that the biggest plothole in ESB (the timeline between luke training and the journey to Bespin) is still a huge plothole when they repeated the same story 40 years later?
Mmmm, to be fair to TLJ it didn't really bother me there, because it sort of was just a couple of days for the two of them on that island but I hear ya, Rey and Luke make U turns on a whim too if the slow-space-chase is a clock to go by.

1. The Knights of Ren. Who are these guys and what's their purpose? We find out in TLJ that they are apparently the Jedi who decided to follow Ben when he destroyed the temple/academy, but...where are they? What are they doing? Why haven't we seen them? And more importantly, why did you introduce them in the first place if they have no purpose in the story?
Counter-example: Who is this emperor guy the Imperial officers are talking about in ANH? Why is it even relevant that the Senate is dissolved? Why even mention the concept if he has no purpose in the story?

2. The backstory for the Resistance vs. the Republic, Snoke, and the First Order. Unlike with ANH/Star Wars, we're coming into this tale not as blank slates, but from an existing understanding of how this world works. Or how it worked, anyway. While it's true that providing an exhaustive chronology of events from the end of ROTJ to the start of TFA isn't relevant to the story of TFA itself, some context should've been provided. Certainly more than what's up on screen. What's the Resistance and what does it have to do with the Republic? Why isnt' the Republic fighting? Where the hell did the FO come from? Who is this Snoke guy, and how does he have the ability to use the Force? Where'd he come from, and why is his head all funky?
That one is 100%.

Yes. Sequelitis: the Agony of Embiggening.
:lol

But the truth is...we don't know! We have no idea what happens next! We aren't following the old playbook. We're into uncharted territory and, to me, that's really exciting and presents a huge opportunity to do more with Star Wars films than simply repeat the structure of the older films.

I know we discussed this aspect ad nauseam, and in the end we won't know until Ep9 comes out. To me it does feel like TLJ could have set up something really different, but it did write the series into a corner. Let me ask this though, if Ep9 turns out to be a retread of the originals, who would you put the blame on? JJ for writing Ep9 or Rian for setting up the stage for Ep9?

What was it called, ring theory?
Oh god...:lol
EXACTLY.

Yeah I wrote a bit about that in another thread shortly after it came out, defending the way that went down and how Luke's action there was completely in line with his character and what he's lived through (in the "Truth" version of "3 sides to every story" - Luke thinking of killing Ben for a brief moment, and Ben attacking).
The thing is though the movie seemingly can't decide what the message is regarding that.
1. Luke felt a sudden urge to kill Ben because he saw something dark and irredeemable. Then felt instant regret. Too late though.
2. Ben turned to Kylo and left. So was it all just a biiiiiiiiiig misunderstanding or he was corrupted already? If the latter then Luke seems to be right about him being too far in the dark. In which case it's not Luke's fault. If it was indeed Luke's fault as he says then why is he irredeemable?
3. Rey comes into picture and urges Luke to fight Ren whom they both consider a monster and irredeemable. Luke says nah...
4. Rey turns around and suddenly wants to redeem Ren. Luke states it's not gonna happen. Luke considers Kylo irredeemable. Even though he firmly believes it was hi fault he turned and without him drawing the saber on him he would have been okay. Although he saw incredible darkness there before he drew the saber...but anyway he still would not take up the mantle, he wouldn't fight him nor attempt to redeem him.
5. Rey says F U, I'll go and redeem himself. They meet and Rey finds out that Kylo is irredeemable.
6. Luke turns up to face Ren. Because he is not redeemable therefore needs to be defeated one way or another. Which he thought from the moment he ignited the lightsaber over him.
This I think is when people are trying to sell confusing as complex. That's why most people have an issue with this. Not the mere fact that Luke screwed up and for a moment wanted to kill Kylo. But the whole process the fallout was handled and the movie not being able to pick a side.
Same with the Jedi doctrines. Luke says they're bogus and needs to end. Still, tells R2 off about his language because it's sacred Jedi place. Then goes to burn the books down. Then freaks out when Yoda burns them down even though he was gonna do that anyway. Then Yoda comes up with your daily wisdom about not needing books and doctrines and stuff to be a true Jedi. But then it's all good anyway coz Rey snatched the books to follow the doctrines anyway.
I won't even go into fighting, sacrifice and Rose's philosophy...

The how to distract from the real issue`s file states clearly that the use of George Lucas is not to commence until mid August. Some people`s desperation may throw off the plan and they should stick to the company line.

They were limited to what could do with Luke. George had already said he wanted the young female protagonist, to meet with a cynical broken down Luke. And her challenge, to talk him into training her. And to get him to return. This was already established by George before TFA came out.

No, they weren't limited at all. Disney had no obligation to use any of GL's ideas and they did not. (see below)

After this, I feel it's worth pointing out that about 50% or more of the sequel trilogy has come straight from the mind of George Lucas.

GL himself has said Disney didn't use his ideas.

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-George-Lucas-Star-Wars-7-Ideas-Were-Used-By-Disney-69271.html

What exactly is your source for your quoted claims?

No, they weren't limited at all. Disney had no obligation to use any of GL's ideas and they did not. (see below)

GL himself has said Disney didn't use his ideas.

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-George-Lucas-Star-Wars-7-Ideas-Were-Used-By-Disney-69271.html

What exactly is your source for your quoted claims?

'The Art of' books. In particular the 'The Art of the The Last Jedi' as well as Pablo Hildago from the Lucasfilm story group.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/...ucas-episode-vii-outline-became-the-last-jedi

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/01/04/star-wars-the-last-jedi-force-awakens-george-lucas-idea/

No, he actually worked out the story beats with Joseph Campbell, one of the greatest mythologists ever. What did JJ Abrams do? Oh wait... nothing.

Ha.

sounds like Campbell did all the heavy lifting, while george’s Editors spotted.

*matching dumb argument with a dumb argument*

More like spoken like a guy who’s blown away by stupid posts.

- - - Updated - - -

It is easy to make George look like a total hack if you use the same logic on him as you do JJ.

George is not infallible (said as a HUGE FAN)

Pretty much everything but the OT and Indy prove it.

and look at the help he needed on those.

when he doesn’t get help...

”I hate sand....”

Seems like it's just people saying he had these ideas. And George himself directly said, after these meetings, that they didn't use his ideas.

I'm going to remain skeptical on this. GL knows what his ideas were and says they did not use them.

Seems like it's just people saying he had these ideas. And George himself directly said, after these meetings, that they didn't use his ideas.

I'm going to remain skeptical on this. GL knows what his ideas were and says they did not use them.

Who's to know for sure? But it looks like the Luke and Rey bit of story definitely came from him. He even picked out some of the concepts art that became Ach-To. But maybe what George is talking about is they decided not to go with the exploration of the Whills and such. That why said that about 50% or more came from George.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back