Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
Vivek I'd be curious to see if we could have a "Not interested " button included in the poll. So far the results indicate its been pretty well recieved by alot of people here but at 200+ so far thats just over a quarter of the people that went to see TLJ and voted.
Its just a question I'd like to ask, given Solos performance and its fairly relevant to the discussion about why people aren't going to see it.
Certainly if you compare the number of people going to see it from here with those that went to see "Infinity War" (247) then it should be performing hugely better than it is, its almost comparable.

Vivek I'd be curious to see if we could have a "Not interested " button included in the poll. So far the results indicate its been pretty well recieved by alot of people here but at 200+ so far thats just over a quarter of the people that went to see TLJ and voted.
Its just a question I'd like to ask, given Solos performance and its fairly relevant to the discussion about why people aren't going to see it.
Certainly if you compare the number of people going to see it from here with those that went to see "Infinity War" (247) then it should be performing hugely better than it is, its almost comparable.

CT, if you wanna be sure the big boss sees it, give him a Mention: @Vivek

It's not that you're saying these things in a hyped-up manner. You're not, per se. It's that you're going to such lengths to defend these 3 youtube nitwits, riding to their rescue in post after post after post. :lol

I'm guessing if you're not sleeping with Mike or Rich or the other one, that you're just fulfilling your pledged duties as President of the Red Letter Media Fan Club--Washington state chapter.

The Wook

Sounds like you're just extremely jealous of them and the attention they get, Wook.

Based solely on the votes, 250 members saw Infinity War and 238 members saw Solo. Of course these metrics can't be used to assess nor draw a comparison to the movie's performance whatsoever. But I understand your intent for that comparison and wanting to gauge those "Not Interested" numbers for this movie's discussion.

Vivek I'd be curious to see if we could have a "Not interested " button included in the poll.
Currently there is no option to edit the polls to add more vote buttons. I can create a new poll thread and merge it with this one, but that will likely replace the existing poll completely.

But I will check with Montagar to see if there is any way around it. If there is, then he will amend the poll.

Note: This option of Not Interested being considered for the poll is an exception and it's not going to be the norm.

As a general format, the main purpose of the poll is a quick way for members to express what they felt about the movie and in turn let other members know the general consensus on what the rest felt.

Now the movie going public are already very selective and would choose to see only handful of movies in theatres, while considering other selections for home viewing.

If somebody is not interested in a movie, they can skip the thread poll and jump into the discussion expressing why they don't care for the film. Or maybe even skip the thread entirely.

Someone's disinterest to watch a particular film doesn't need to be represented in these polls everytime, it already gets reflected by their votes being absent. We rather have the poll options and numbers be reserved for individuals who took the time to see the film.

I know many won't agree to this approach, but that's how it's going to be for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Vivek, don't worry too much if its a problem.
As it is I've had some interesting chats over the last couple of week about the SW franchise (and Solo) with people who are not really SW fans (as we are here)but just steady movie goers. So the respounces are a bit more measured and accurate. I was curious as to whether the influx of votes in TLJ was as a result of the "new members" and how many here have actually boycotted Solo still (I'm estimating low figures ).

But there is no doubt (at least) to me any more that TLJ has had a measurable impact on the GENERAL publics perception of the franchise and its definitely affected interest in the series going forward.
I caught up with an old friend who is still working in a large office (despite reaching retirement age) and much of the staff conversations at breaks and lunchtimes revolve around the films he's been to see, as he is an avid cinema buff. Jeff is the kind of the go to man if people want advice on whats worth watching on a weekend.

"Infinity War" and "Deadpool 2" have understandably been hot topics, particularly IW where lots of co workers picked his brains for an explanation on the "snap"ending.And its very apparent people really do enjoy Marvel movies and the way they all mesh together. Feedback on Deadpool 2 was interesting though , alot liked it, but a few who didn't enjoy the first wouldn't touch the second, which kind of accounts for the BO drop.

That reminds me strongly of the first SW movie release. Alot of folks went to see it because of the hype and interest and then decided SW just wasn't for them. Which is why TESB, despite being a better movie, didn't do so well. For alot of people its just a movie.And this was also probably true for TLJ as well.

Jeff didn't hate TLJ, he's always been a strong Trekkie (just don't mention Star Trek : Discovery to him ) but he simply didn't think it was a good film, and its interesting to note that he said a great deal of the discussions he had for it were exactly that.
It was just OK for many, a few thought it was pretty stupid and couple properly hated it, but the broad respounce seemed to be a "Meh", nothing like the interested and buzzing conversations he gets after a Marvel or blockbuster movie .

And the discussion about Solo has been even less than that,most simply had no interest in it at all and compared to all the anticipation for recent "superhero" movie events this just wasn't one. Neither they or their families wanted to make the effort to see it, nor ,and ,heres the important part ,spend the time and money doing so when the weather was so good.Its summer.

Alot couldn't understand why a film that wasn't sequential to the story (like a Marvel), being released so close after the TLJ and that that didn't make sense to them. Others had heard it had been troubled production and a likely train wreak and many thought the guy didn't look like Han Solo ,so it wasn't WORTH the effort. In Jeffs opinion it was OK again, and it felt like an old SW movie in that it was occasionally slow in parts and didn't really do anything different.

Again its that just OK theme, average, good enough to watch but very easily forgotten and not much to discuss afterward. Certainly it seems to help a film when people get to talk about it and share on social media.

My gut feeling is that the general publics benchmark expectations have really been pushed forward by much greater margin in the last decade or so and as event movies go, I think Star Wars has really been superceeded.
When "A New Hope" came out there really was nothing like it ever ,it had such a huge cultural impact.Han, Luke and Leia were the absolute heroes to everybody then, a Death Star that destroyed planets was incredible feat of imagination, lightsabre battles , space dogfights and Darth Vader was an awesome villian.

Fast forward forty years and now what? How does Snoke compete and compare with a Thanos? Kylo Ren with Nebula? A young Han Solo with Peter Quill? I did say years ago I foresaw trouble for SW after seeing "Guardians of the Galaxy." SW seems to want to destroy its heroes now , leaving the rest of it seeming so bland and unengaging .

Thats the problem for the franchise. If Solo had come out even just ten years ago ,it would have probably done so much better and its BO would have been so much more acceptable (particularly) if they hadn't spent so much money reshooting it.

But there is hard truth here. Its not just ONE movie franchise in a galaxy far. far away any more,. There been quite a few over the years and right now there is a massive, much better written one ,with stronger and more interesting characters on adventures far more imaginative and exciting than Star Wars can offer these days.

And thats probably why the general cinema going public aren't as interested .

Star Wars isn't the future any more. Its the past.

Last edited:
Thanks Vivek, don't worry too much if its a problem.
As it is I've had some interesting chats over the last couple of week about the SW franchise (and Solo) with people who are not really SW fans (as we are here)but just steady movie goers. So the respounces are a bit more measured and accurate. I was curious as to whether the influx of votes in TLJ was as a result of the "new members" and how many here have actually boycotted it (I'm estimating low figures ).

But there is no doubt (at least) to me any more that TLJ has had a measurable impact on the GENERAL publics perception of the franchise and its definitely affected interest in the series going forward.
I caught up with an old friend who is still working in a large office (despite reaching retirement age) and much of the staff conversations at breaks and lunchtimes revolve around the films he's been to see, as he is an avid cinema buff. Jeff is the kind of the go to man if people want advice on whats worth watching on a weekend.
"Infinity War" and "Deadpool 2" have understandably been hot topics, particularly IW where lots of co workers picked his brains for an explanation on the "snap"ending.And its very apparent people really do enjoy Marvel movies and the way they all mesh together. Feedback on Deadpool 2 was interesting though , alot liked it, but a few who didn't enjoy the first wouldn't touch the second, which kind of accounts for the BO drop.
That reminds me strongly of the first SW movie release. Alot of folks went to see it because of the hype and interest and then decided SW just wasn't for them. Which is why TESB, despite being a better movie, didn't do so well. For alot of people its just a movie.And this was also probably true for TLJ as well.
Jeff didn't hate TLJ, he's always been a strong Trekkie (just don't mention Star Trek : Discovery to him ) but he simply didn't think it was a good film, and its interesting to note that he said a great deal of the discussions he had for it were exactly that.
It was just OK for many, a few thought it was pretty stupid and couple properly hated it, but the broad respounce seemed to be a "Meh", nothing like the interested and buzzing conversations he gets after a Marvel or blockbuster movie .
And the discussion about Solo has been even less than that,most simply had no interest in it all and compared to all the anticipation of recent "superhero" movie events this just wasn't one. Neither they or their families wanted to make the effort to see it, nor ,and ,heres the important part ,spend the time and money doing so when the weather was so good.Its summer.
Alot couldn't understand why a film that wasn't sequential to the story (like a Marvel), being released so close after the TLJ and that that didn't make sense to them. Others had heard it had been troubled production and a likely train wreak and many thought the guy didn't look like Han Solo ,so it wasn't WORTH the effort. In Jeffs opinion it was OK again, and it felt like an old SW movie in that it was occasionally slow in parts and didn't really do anything different.
Again its that just OK theme, average, good enough to watch but very easily forgotten and not much to discuss afterward. Certainly it seems to help a film when people get to talk about it and share on social media.
My gut feeling is that the general publics benchmark expectations have really been pushed forward by much greater margin in the last decade or so and as event movies go, I think Star Wars has really been superceeded.
When "A New Hope" came out there really was nothing like it ever ,it had such a huge cultural impact.Han, Luke and Leia were the absolute heroes to everybody then, a Death Star that destroyed planets was incredible feat of imagination, lightsabre battles , space dogfights and Darth Vader was an awesome villian.
Fast forward forty years and now what? How does Snoke compete and compare with a Thanos? Kylo Ren with Nebula? A young Han Solo with Peter Quill? I did say years ago I foresaw trouble for SW after seeing "Guardians of the Galaxy." SW seems to want to destroy its heroes now , leaving the rest of it seeming so bland and unengaging .
Thats the problem for the franchise. If Solo had come out even just ten years ago ,it would have probably done so much better and its BO would be more acceptable if they hadn't spent so much reshooting it.
But there is hard truth here. There is not just ONE movie in a galaxy far. far away any more, there been quite a few over the years and right now there is a massive much better written one ,with stronger and more interesting characters on adventures far more imaginative and exciting than Star Wars can offer these days.
And thats why the general cinema going public aren't interested any more.

Star Wars isn't the future any more. Its the past.

Use paragraphs, mang. Your readership will go up. I look at blocks of text like this and scroll right past them. I'm betting a lot of other members do, too.

The Wook

Yep. Discerning does not make one less of a fan.

If we had to watch ALL Star Wars to be a real fan, did everyone watch all the Ewoks cartoons and that Caravan of Courage thingy?

I definitely reject the notion of "real" fandom. If you like Star Wars, cool. I don't expect everyone to immerse themselves to the same level in order to gauge their level of "into-it-ness". It's not about memorizing names or knowing when this battle took place or having read that issue of the old Marvel comic or whatever.

I, personally, did watch the Ewoks and Droids cartoons, the Ewok movies, the Holiday Special, read all the books and comics, played all the games, had the "read-along" audio adventures, had some younger-reader books that make me seriously :eek:confused:wacko:lol:facepalm to look at them now. I was with it through the Renaissance, I got every installment in the Shadows of the Empire cross-media event -- even the pop-up book and the soundtrack CD. I suffered through clinkers like The Crystal Star and the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy. It wasn't until the New Jedi Order that my immersion took a hit. I stuck with it through the first eleven New Jedi Order novels before I just gave up until the final book. Didn't bother with the Dark Nest trilogy. Re-engaged with the Legacy of the Force series, but can't stomach Troy Denning's three books out of that cycle. Fate of the Jedi was largely leaving me cold, though. I was skimming to read the stuff with Luke and Ben out questing, and skipping all of the political BS. I did stick with the comics and games and standalone novels all through here, though.

Not to mention all the art-of and making-of books, all my old Bantha Tracks newsletters, the Lucasfilm Fan Club (later Star Wars Fan Club, later Star Wars Insider) magazine; the Topps Star Wars Galaxy cards, companion books, and magazine, blueprints, etc., etc.

I delve more deeply than most, and I know I'm atypical. *lol* I don't hold myself to be "more" of a fan than someone who's just seen the movies once and that's it.

They simply did not make a Han Solo movie for this Han Solo fan. They made Ranger Solo and the "Millennium" Falcon became a double meaning... more about appealing to the millennium generation.

43, here. Tail end of Generation X, in the cross-bleed between that and Millennial that has come to be referred to as "X-ennial". I tend to identify more with the latter than the former, despite being old enough to have seen Star Wars in the theater with my parents in 1977. I liked Solo a lot. Seen it twice so far, and hope it has enough life in it to stay in theaters long enough to see it at least once or twice more. The balance of hits and misses, for me, is comparable probably to... *thinks* ...I'd say Star Wars. So, #3 on my personal list, after Empire and Star Wars.

-L3 is super annoying and basically throws "droid equal rights" in your face for half the movie. Now I've heard it's deliberate, but it doesn't come across as such at all. It's just annoying. I'm actually kinda happy when she is destroyed so we don't have to listen to her excessive jabbering.

I'm a little surprised this is a complaint I hear (see?) as often as I have on here. Droid rights, droid rebellions, etc., are a thing going back to the early '90s in the EU, and I can think of at least half a dozen instances and examples over the following decade. Apropos of my above commentary, I am not saying that awareness makes me more of a fan, but I'm a bit surprised there isn't more background awareness that there have been instances in Star Wars prior to this of droids wanting freedom and equal treatment under the law. This is just the first time it's been in a film.

-The showing was too dark, which I've heard is a prominent problem with this movie. I could hardly make out any details, and everything looked desaturated. It was not visually enticing at all.

More a prominent problem with some of the theaters showing it. The two I've been to so far had good projectors and I had mo problem seeing anything, even under the smog of Corellia.

-There's waaaaaay too much "wink wink nudge nudge" thrown into the dialogue. The amount of callbacks was almost every other line. It comes to the point of being annoyingly superfluous. Like, we get it, this is what's going to happen in the OT. It's terrible. The dialogue in general isn't great though.

The dialogue in the first six Star Wars movies isn't exactly top-shelf, either, you remember... :p I, personally, loved all the little references. I didn't feel bashed over the head with any of them except You-Know-Who's reveal at the end. I think my favorite, besides Beckett's offhand reference to "the Felucia job" and Han and Lando's "I hate you" "I know" moment was the inclusion of references to the Lando Calrissian Adventures.

-Are we really supposed to believe that Lando's been hanging on to that same Jabba Palace guard costume for 15 years? Really? That was a terrible callback. In fact, let me reiterate: TOO MANY CALLBACKS, especially Lando's. "I hate mining operations." ... But I'll be happily operating one in about 10 years because I just so happened to win one.

Well, two things here. As with Vos' trophy room, I feel like that's something he acquired during his exploits that he keeps as a trophy -- and that also occasionally comes in handy to sneak in somewhere. As for the change of heart about mining colonies...? What I caught from that was the beginning of a shift in viewpoint, triggered by Beckett's "that's where the money is" response to his voiced sentiment.

Well, I don't know where you get the comlink idea from, but okay.

He went back to wait on his ship, telling Han to let him know when to come get his cut. Were you figuring semaphore?

And why did you say Solo didn't kickstart the rebellion? Wasn't that the implication? Not necessarily that he was the only patron of the cause, but that he was a big one and an early one.

Nooo... The implication was he had an earlier brush with a faction who would, in another five or six years, probably be part of the initial unified Alliance to Restore the Republic we saw forming in Rebels. At this point, there is no Rebellion -- just semi-isolated pockets of resistance, some of which are trying to get things organized into something bigger. And he was no patron. Enfys Nest was after the coaxium on her own, from her own information sources, and twice thwarted Han's efforts to turn a buck from it. The second time, after hearing what was going on with them, after having Lando ditch them, having Qi'ra rip his heart out and abandon him, having a decade of hardening still ahead of him, and there being more of them with more guns than him, and with Chewie bein ghis Jiminy Cricket, he just didn't (die trying to) stop them from taking it.

yes right you are inquisitor but you can see how errr compacted the film is in order to fit in all those callbacks. To me it makes the film somewhat artificial? or predictable?

Yes, but that's a gripe of mine going back to the '80s, so...

I delve more deeply than most, and I know I'm atypical. *lol* I don't hold myself to be "more" of a fan than someone who's just seen the movies once and that's it..

OF COURSE that makes you more of a fan. It might not mean you love the movies more than the next person, but I think we can agree that there's a difference between casual and uber-fandom.

I'm a Star Trek fan, but the guy who speaks Klingon and had tribble centerpieces at his wedding? Yeah, he's a bigger fan than I am.

And before anyone gets their undies twisted, I'm not saying the more deeply involved fans' opinions about the movies are better or more valid. But there are times when you'll appreciate things a more casual fan will miss, and therefore may view the movie through a different lens.

I'm a little surprised this is a complaint I hear (see?) as often as I have on here. Droid rights, droid rebellions, etc., are a thing going back to the early '90s in the EU, and I can think of at least half a dozen instances and examples over the following decade. Apropos of my above commentary, I am not saying that awareness makes me more of a fan, but I'm a bit surprised there isn't more background awareness that there have been instances in Star Wars prior to this of droids wanting freedom and equal treatment under the law. This is just the first time it's been in a film.
I was never big into the EU, and honestly never even cared about a large chunk of it, especially the post-ROTJ stuff where it became an endless cycle of Imperial Remnant vs New Jedi Order. Nevermind the useless Vong junk. It just neither resonated with me and thus the Solo references didn't had any meaning for me.

I was never big into the EU, and honestly never even cared about a large chunk of it, especially the post-ROTJ stuff where it became an endless cycle of Imperial Remnant vs New Jedi Order. Nevermind the useless Vong junk. It just neither resonated with me and thus the Solo references didn't had any meaning for me.

None of the droid-rights stuff was post-RotJ (except as far as when the stuff was published). Some of it was Tales of the Jedi era, some of it was in the exploits of Threepio and Artoo before the Prequels scrubbed all that, some of it was peripheral to the Clone Wars... There was a character in the old WEG role-playing game who was basically a droid version of a PETA activist...

But spot on about the one-note-ness of the post-RotJ EU material. I got so, so tired of the superweapon of the week, the latest wannabe warlord, etc.

I still contend the middle option is poorly worded.

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=277900&p=4261437&viewfull=1#post4261437
Well it's been a year since the options were listed and no changes were suggested. And it's been 7 months since the current poll options have been added on most threads.

Either ways, you can use the above thread to chime in your suggestions. It won't necessarily be considered or implemented right away. But that's where any feedback can be addressed.

The attention they get from YOU?!? :lol

No thanks, pal...I don't swing that way.

No, the millions of people that watch their videos. That would be obvious to any reasonable person.

But, this is the Solo topic and we shouldn't derail it. If you'd like to discuss their review of Solo we can do that here. Otherwise, here is the RLM topic if you'd like to continue discussing them otherwise.

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=267142&

Nooo... The implication was he had an earlier brush with a faction who would, in another five or six years, probably be part of the initial unified Alliance to Restore the Republic we saw forming in Rebels.t.

The issue here isn't whether he did or didn't "kick start" the Rebellion. Clearly he helped the cause in this scene with rather altruistic behavior...

Which is a problem.

That is not who Han is at the beginning of A New Hope, and it waters down his character arc in that later film, too. The entirety of Solo was an exercise in incongruent character choices and choosing the wrong things to make important (example: Han's blaster, which we already know from Empire isn't anything unique or special like, say, Chewie's Bowcaster).

No, the millions of people that watch their videos. That would be obvious to any reasonable person.

But, this is the Solo topic and we shouldn't derail it. If you'd like to discuss their review of Solo we can do that here. Otherwise, here is the RLM topic if you'd like to continue discussing them otherwise.

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=267142&

Oh Good Heavens, there's a THREAD about those clowns?!

Umm, no thanks. I didn't want to talk about them *this* much. :facepalm

The issue here isn't whether he did or didn't "kick start" the Rebellion. Clearly he helped the cause in this scene with rather altruistic behavior...

Which is a problem.

That is not who Han is at the beginning of A New Hope, and it waters down his character arc in that later film, too.

Ah... So people don't change at all over the course of a decade. Got it.

Seriously, though, there is a lot of psychological support for matters of conscience. If, in ANH, he truly did not care, he wouldn't have come back to save Luke. Therefore, there had to be a "heart of gold" underneath that blasé façade. Now we see more of that arc, from youth who remains stubbornly optimistic in awful circumstances, to psychically scarred young adult who now, over the next ten years, will craft the carefully-constructed face he presents to Luke and Ben in ANH, before finding his way back to caring again.

The entirety of Solo was an exercise in incongruent character choices and choosing the wrong things to make important (example: Han's blaster, which we already know from Empire isn't anything unique or special like, say, Chewie's Bowcaster).

And it's not unique here, either. Beckett strips off the rifle attachments of a model of field carbine and tosses him the heavy-pistol base to use. He didn't craft Han's blaster in the forges of Nidavellir as a one-off artifact.

Oh Good Heavens, there's a THREAD about those clowns?!

Umm, no thanks. I didn't want to talk about them *this* much. :facepalm

Only Jack is a clown.

In any case, did you even watch their review of Solo? Since we're actually here in the Solo topic. I don't remember them going on and on about AE's height or anything, but they did not universally like it. You might find something in there that resonates with your own opinion of the movie.

Only Jack is a clown.

In any case, did you even watch their review of Solo? Since we're actually here in the Solo topic. I don't remember them going on and on about AE's height or anything, but they did not universally like it. You might find something in there that resonates with your own opinion of the movie.

No, I tried but couldn't tolerate it. For all the reasons I've previously outlined for you. They've lost their appeal.

Let's leave it at that. You're obviously a HUUUUUUUGE fan of theirs. But I'm bored talking about them, and have been for most of this exchange.

You can have the last word.

The Wook

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back