Hocus Pocus spell book

rileyreplicas

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all! I wanted to post pics of the latest piece I made, the spell book from Hocus Pocus! I made this with 2 eyes, one that is closed and one that is awake. For the base I used a book "box" so it is hollow and you can store items in it.

Thanks for looking and if you have any questions ask away :)

hocus3.jpghocus4.jpghocus5.jpghocus6.jpghocus7.jpghocus8.jpghocus9.jpg

Your replica book looks great. :)

What is the "making of" story, it's history?
Looking at it along side this one, it is very "clean" looking:

hocus pocus compair 2.jpg

Your replica book looks great. :)

What is the "making of" story, it's history?
Looking at it along side this one, it is very "clean" looking:

Thanks for the kind words! Not sure exactly what you are asking, the history of the book as in the movie or how I made and constructed it? I made the piece basing it off of the fake "box" book. I sculpted the corner snake and molded and cast 4 of them. I did the same thing for the spine snake. The raised sections on the book I just used 2 part epoxy and built it up. I drilled holes through the book and then ran the thread through it to lace it up :)

Yep. The history of the book I was asking about is how it was done by you.
"All hands on deck"....craftsmanship.
Some time ago, I too started on a book and I was interested in how your version was created :)
I also used a "book box" to make mine. I still have to add the spine and corner snakes, as well as the 5 fingers on mine.
Haven't had the time to sculpt my own :(

Last edited:
Very cool. I started working on one of these about a year ago (thanks propmaster2000 for the assistance!). Its taking me forever due to being side tracked on a couple of other projects and between working full time and having two toddlers I get very little time to actually work on it. I wanted mine to have a fully animatronic eye and I'm just about finished with the mechanism for that. I have to print a servo block tonight and then I will be able to completely assemble it. I'm planning on a post detailing the construction and design considerations when trying to build an animatronic eye.

So your "leather" is actually two part epoxy with a paint job?

Sorry for the late reply! I had been out of town the past few days. The way the leather look is achieved on the book is the actual book had texture on it already that looked like leather. I used the 2 part epoxy to make lines and raised parts and just feathered it out and blended it. After that it was then painted up and instant leather look :)

By the way if anyone is making a book like this and would want castings of the spine snake and corner pieces let me know. If your book is the same size as mine and they would want to use my castings I would be happy to help anyone out :)

Hi. Thanks for the offer :)

My book front cover is 8" x 12". Are your snakes (1 spine and 2 corner) scaled for those dimensions?

Do you also have the other parts as well? ie. eye latch, and the 5 fingers?

Thanks.

By the way if anyone is making a book like this and would want castings of the spine snake and corner pieces let me know. If your book is the same size as mine and they would want to use my castings I would be happy to help anyone out :)

Let me check my dimensions as I would love to save some time and your sculpts look awesome!

I don't have the book anymore ( went out to the customer) but it looks like it was bigger than 8 x 12 :( The snake measures 12.5 inches long and I do remember the length of the book being 13 inches or so. The width I know was wider than 8 inches, closer to 9.5 inches. Sorry the parts won't work for your book propmamster2000 but they may work for other peoples books?

What I have molds of are the eye ring, the corner snakes and spine snake. The hand on the back of the book I sculpted from epoxy directly to the book as well as the fingers so no molds for those parts.

Sorry for the late reply! I had not checked in for a few days :) Now as for the paint that is a bit difficult for me to describe. I usually grab whatever colors I have lying around from past projects and start working it out until I am pleased with the results! LOL Sorry that I can't be more specific on that. I did have ref. pics from the client and it appeared to be more grayed out to me and not a really rich brown color so I went with a more subdued brown for the base color then started adding washes of dark browns and grays until I got the result I was after. The in between parts or seams where the patches of skin butt up to one another I did give a dark gray color to make them stand out a bit. One thing I lucked out on is finding the hemp cord which was a close match to the book. From my pics it looked like the hemp cord does not jump out as another color so much as it just blends in :)

So was it airbrushed at all or paintbrush? The pics I’ve been looking at for reference look more reddish brown than a dark brown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was all paint brush, no airbrush. Just washes and dry brushing for the blending in. Just about all my work is either brush or rattle can spray paint :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back