Aloy Bow - Horizon Zero Dawn - 3D printed

omegaforgeprops

I love to make cosplay props in my free time and a friend of mine wanted to cosplay as Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn. She said that she can make the cosplay but not the bow, and so i took on the challenge of designing one. I have a rather nice 3D printer, its the Lulzbot Taz 6 and among its better features is it's large print bed. I would say i am i am decent at 3D modeling so i wanted to see if i can make model and make the parts my self.

For reference this is the bow:
il_570xN.993136328_lrrw.jpg

The program i used was 123D design, i know that there might be better programs out there but i know this one the best and i would rather spend more time on the model then spending the time learning a new program.

It took me about three days to model the outside legs. I did it to the best of my ability and with all the reference material i was able to find. I had to cut the leg into three pieces so it would print on my Taz 6.
2017-05-08 15.38.30.jpg

I used some strong glue to attach the pieces together.
18336753_10154714615413460_1644666035_n.jpg18336792_10154714614878460_392505593_n.jpg

Then i did a little sanding and added some filler primer.
2017-05-06 23.15.28.jpg

And that is were i am currently, i need to model the rest of the bow and print it. The legs were more simple then other parts of the bow so i did them first. I hope the rest of the bow turns out well.

I would love some feedback and thoughts on my project.

Attachments

• 18308829_10154708559973460_2112222185_n.jpg
    18308829_10154708559973460_2112222185_n.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 272
Looks nice.

I haven't played the game yet although it looks stunning - even my girlfriend saw the trailer and asked if I could get it.

How long do you reckon the whole thing will take to print?

This was done by a 3D printer only? Wow, I'm impressed at what technology can do nowadays. Anyway, good job! The game is terrific by the way, it's my personal game of the year already. I've seen some similar stuff done in a livestream at picarto.tv which was pretty awesome, I have to admit! Wish more people would do such creative livestreams, I personally highly enjoy them.

Update, I got another piece printed, its the tip of the bow that in the game looks like wood or horn.
18554715_10154748764558460_562325824_n.jpg

I am currently reprinting the main handle, i realized when you print stuff like this you need around a 0.5mm tolerance because things that fit together exactly in a 3D modeling program don't fit together as well when printed. It's an interesting thing to learn.

Progress Update:
I gave many of the parts a coat of filler primer so the details are easier to see. I am currently printing another important piece the center piece at the other end of the bow, its a 22 hour print because its high detail.
2017-05-19 05.43.13.jpg

I glued up the horn for the other side this morning and i have the other leg printed too, tonight i plan on painting the horn and adding the leg to the other side. Many of the pieces are just pressure fit right now because i will be shipping this bow to a friend who will be doing the painting and details.

Looks great! Any idea of the total print time?

I just looked up the Lulzbot Taz 6, looks like a very nice printer. I own 1/2 a Wanhao clone, which works okay - I just don't have time to fiddle with it much as it lives with someone else.

Hey! I was wondering if you had an email I could contact you on?? :D
Omegaforgeprops@gmail.com

- - - Updated - - -

Looks great! Any idea of the total print time?

I just looked up the Lulzbot Taz 6, looks like a very nice printer. I own 1/2 a Wanhao clone, which works okay - I just don't have time to fiddle with it much as it lives with someone else.
Roughly 200 hours of print time for the whole thing, I have been making changes for a version 3 print and that might be more or less time we will need to see.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back