Hellboy (2019)

Re: Hellboy R-rated film reboot announced

Deadpool was IMO quite overhyped. I personally think that Kick-Ass did a better job at R-rated Superhero movie, but since Deadpool had the larger fanbase it got more attention and being a Marvel property helped it in blending in with other main stream movies.
I completely agree.

Kickass was near perfect

FBEB4CF1-6C5C-430F-8CB6-6BEFB2F48CB6.jpeg

So I'm looking forward to this. I liked GDT's movies, and despite Perlman being a bit of a jerk in person (at a comic con) I like his work.

Harbour looks great for this role, he really got in shape. I love him in Stranger Things, but didn't see him as Hellboy. Boy was I wrong.

As far as the R rating, I think it's best to make the movie you want to make, tell the story you want to tell, and let the powers that be give it the rating it deserves. To plan to go out and make an R rated movie undercuts what could have been perfect just for the sake of that R rating. Gratuitous sex, violence and language works for Deadpool, but doesn't fit for Hellboy.

Still, I have high hopes for Hellboy, reboot or no. It's been a long enough break since TGA that even a retelling of the origin wouldn't feel boring. Hellboy is obscure enough for the general public to cover the origin. Batman and Superman, on the other hand, do not. Which is why I'm glad Marvel didn't do an origin with Spiderman. If you don't know these characters by now, Google it.

saw parts of it that people have posted, all distorted and funky, can't find a clean copy. It ... looks way more like 2004 than I had hoped but maybe that's the crappy quality of the available footage...

Yah, I was kinda underwhelmed by it.
I dig David Harbour, but he's not selling me on Hellboy.
All I could think while watching the leaked trailer was "Darn, I wish this was Hellboy 3 with Ron Perlman" and "Darn, Mila Jovovich would have made an excellent Elizabeth".
I still want to see it, and I hope DH knocks it out of the park, but he doesn't look like Hellboy. Not like RP did.
Looks like they may have gotten the legs right, though. Hard to tell with the poor quality of the leaked footage.

I didn't see anything to get enthusiastic about either. I'll see it, sure, but I don't know how good it's likely to be. Even if it did stray from the source material, the first one will be hard to beat.

Kinda looks like they are going for a deadpool R vibe. Maybe it will play out ok, but it's really hard to let go of the HB world Guillermo and Ron built.

Wasn't crazy about the trailer. Will probably just rent this out of curiosity. As a long time reader of Hellboy, I don't see why it's so difficult for them to replicate the feel of the character.

So its even sillier than the other Hellboy movies? If theyre gonna keep the same tone, it makes the other changes seem even more unnecessary. It still feels like is should be Ron Perlman. It feels weird that its not. It would have worked a lot better is the tone was totally different, more serious and dark? I dunno, this feels weird.

Also, it really sounds like hes talking through prosthetics... like they didnt re-record any of his dialog.

Last edited:
Also, it really sounds like hes talking through prosthetics... like they didnt re-record any of his dialog.

To be fair, this is the first trailer. Trailers often have unfinished footage...If they were gonna ADR all of his dialogue, they might just not have gotten around to it yet!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back