Luke ROTJ Hero Activation Box Question

corliss1

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Anyone know what part is used, or where I could find, the black switch on the activation box? I need to replace one and I couldn't find much on this specific part of the activation box with my searches. Thanks!

I don't think the real part has been identified.

You could make it from a stack of sheet styrene that you cut, sand and paint.
Another way would be to use black Sculpey (or other polymer clay) that you cut with a sharp knife to get perfect edges.

I have thought about making one - while I can remodel a house I've never really tried to do something like this and I'd like it to look right as I intend to sell the saber, so I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a part. I did message Roman and he said he didn't make any extra parts for his upcoming run of the ROTJ Hero saber.

I always thought it was a couple of (or one partially divided) audio button. From a turntable, reel to reel player or radio.

I recommend putting a screw in the box and puttying the box around the head of the screw. gives the box something to anchor itself to.

Hey corliss1 ! There's a lightsaber wizard named slothfurnace who tackled this part in an amazing way! Here's how he made the Luke ROTJ Hero Activation Box Buttons work...

http://www.slothfurnace.com/sabers/ROTJLuke_05.html

He begins to show the work in progress on Page 6.

You can buy the Activation Box here...

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Activation-box-style-1-updated-design-P354.aspx

...just know that it looks like this now...

http://www.jqsabers.com/product/activation-box-style-1-updated-design/

You could achieve what he did (if you're super steady) with a drill, a jeweler's saw, and a set of mini files... and a lot of elbow grease. ;)

Or, just cut out the hole and mock up the switch rocker with Sculpey III the way Darth Lars suggested if you didn't want to file out an aluminum button the way slothfurnace did.

If you find a suitable switch at Digi-Key or Mouser, please pass along the info!

Good Luck on your rebuild!

Last edited by a moderator:
Slothfurnace is my next email if the previous people I contacted don't reply - I have that build thread you linked bookmarked already :D

I think looking around for a switch might be the best plan. I've got a NicksDad's ROTJ saber here for comparison so I can get some size measurements for the black part. If I come up with anything I'll let you know for sure.

So I found this guy:

screenshot.1.jpg

Looks like a good possibility if the size is right. I don't know why I didn't think of these types of switches first since I do audio repair, but that part of my brain apparently isn't linked to the lightsaber part of my brain just yet :D

It's an auction item so I asked the seller for the dimensions and I'll go from there.

Alrighty...so the eBay seller confirmed it is 1" x 1/4" x 1/4", which is almost exactly the size of the black part on my Nicksdad's saber. I ordered it, and if it matches up well and looks how I think it should I'll let you all know the part number, but I don't want to put possibly bad info out there just yet.

The real part might have a deeper crevice than that.

LFA_LukeHero_controlbox.jpgMOM identities 2017 2.jpg

I have two castings of the Hero and both include a crevice almost as deep as the button's height.

I totally agree on the depth in the middle. Depending how this piece is I might be able to cut that slot deeper. I've also seen pictures that make a good argument that it's actually two separate pieces altogether.

Sorry to keep everyone waiting. I got the record player switch pictured, but it's a bit too big and it's molded the wrong direction - it's open on one of the sides that would be exposed. So, I'll either make something or eventually sell the saber as is, or keep looking for something close.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back