RussRep & Romans Obi Wan ANH Lightsaber compatibility?

griffey

For those that have Obi Wan ANH Saber replicas from both of RussRep and Romans...are the parts compatible re: threading and sizing? I'm looking to put together an Obi ANH hilt for Halloween this year, and it doesn't look like I'm going to get all the parts of either set before then. But I could probably cobble together parts from one and parts from the other.

I currently have either in hand or on order for delivery everything except the handwheel/pommel. I have RussRep grenade, emitter, booster, but it doesn't look like he's going to do a new run of handwheels in time. I also have a Romans Graflex clamp and bubble strip on order. Romans has some handwheels on hand...so I could order the handwheel from Romans if I knew that it would work/fit. But I'm not as sure about being able to make the handwheel work as I am the graflex.

Anyone out there have both that can chime in with thoughts?

Thanks!

Go with the Romans handwheel.

The cubes are sharper and it fits either a Roman or Russ Booster correctly- the Russ handwheel drops too low on the booster unless you modify it.

On the grenade, it depends on what clamp or assembly jig you use. If you use a Russ grenade and a Russ spacer it's fine, or a Roman grenade and spacer together.

The Russ grenade is inaccurate on it's lowest ring, it's too tall (not visible on the assembled saber). If you've got a Russ grenade and a Roman spacer it won't be accurate at the spot where the clamp and grenade come together.

Personally I'd go with all Roman parts. They are accurate, less expensive, and go together easy.

That's exactly what I needed to know! I do have the Russ grenade and a Russ spacer on the way from the latest batch, so it sounds like the connection from Russ booster to Roman handwheel will work ok. Woohoo! I might actually get my costume together by Halloween. :) Thanks James!

If it helps, this is close to what you'll end up with:
h73PtxW.jpg

-Russrep emitter, cone, grenade, and booster
-Real Graflex clamp and Rebelscum bubble strip
-Roman's aluminum handwheel

NOTE: Roman's handwheel is tapped to receive a 3/8-16 bolt or threaded rod. You will still have to figure out a way to secure the handwheel to the spacer or booster so it stays together. Some people use glue, others use threaded rods/bolts and t-nuts...

The roman handwheel is quite good.
For me it's valuable with a russ one,but has advantage of price and availability.

romans ++:
-better "cap" shape.
-better general shape,better luster.
-the weight is closer to the real stuff,made from chromed aluminum.
-the price
About the wrong details:
-height of the bottom ring is too long,4,5mm instead of 4
-height of the top ring is too small,3,5mm instead of 4mm
-fixed cap
-not holed,only compatible with one kind of bolt only,unlike russ one that can be retained using a nut.

Russ ++
-removable cap,with more accurate construction look.
-possible to fix it using whatever bolt and nut you want
-Lengh of the top and bottom rings are correct:4mm for each

incorrect points:
-general shape,because of polishing(seen on mine,not necessary on all pommels)
-some profile details are not accurate
-the weight,made from steel,too heavy
-diameter of the cap,too big.
-price and availability

I don't have any russ or romans anymore,but I will buy some stuff in the future,and make comparition photos,between romans,russ,mine and real pommel...

You must have an older Roman handwheel.

I don't know about the measurements but the last version of the handwheel Roman made breaks down in 4 parts including the top cap and can be assembled in the Tunsia (sink correct) or the Chronicles (flipped) version.

The chrome is just a hair thinner than Russ's so the cube edges are sharper.

The biggesest difference is when you put a real handwheel on a real or replica (Roman, Russ) booster it stops at the correct height and leaves that little gap between the handwheel and the booster.

The Russ handwheel drops all the way down and requires modification to sit correctly. The Roman drops exactly where it should. Plus it 's less expensive and available.

Grenades, Boosters and Emitters I say go with what you like because I think they are equal in quality, but for the handwheel Roman all the way.

The roman handwheel is quite good.
For me it's valuable with a russ one,but has advantage of price and availability.

romans ++:
-better "cap" shape.
-better general shape,better luster.
-the weight is closer to the real stuff,made from chromed aluminum.
-the price
About the wrong details:
-height of the bottom ring is too long,4,5mm instead of 4
-height of the top ring is too small,3,5mm instead of 4mm
-fixed cap
-not holed,only compatible with one kind of bolt only,unlike russ one that can be retained using a nut.

Russ ++
-removable cap,with more accurate construction look.
-possible to fix it using whatever bolt and nut you want
-Lengh of the top and bottom rings are correct:4mm for each

incorrect points:
-general shape,because of polishing(seen on mine,not necessary on all pommels)
-some profile details are not accurate
-the weight,made from steel,too heavy
-diameter of the cap,too big.
-price and availability

I don't have any russ or romans anymore,but I will buy some stuff in the future,and make comparition photos,between romans,russ,mine and real pommel...
Hello there,
Are these inaccuracies on the Romans Obi Wan Kenobi lightsaber replica still there or have they been corrected since this was posted??

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back