Mick Dundee's hat has just arrived

Megamicrofish

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I think this is probably the most accurate Crocodile Dundee hat out there to buy

Arrived this-morning, now looking for a nice knife replica

X9TScrf.jpg

cqm0J8D.jpg

e8mbiM4.jpg

This looks good.
Is the hat is an Acubra?
At least the teeth are all different sizes. The cheap replica have these crappy plastic croc teeth which are all the same size.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Well at least you will look good and keep the sun off your head will searching for one!

Here is a real Akubra they are marketing as the Dundee hat. Price is less than I thought.

http://www.armysurplus.com.au/showProduct/HEADWEAR/AKUBRA+HATS/AH0450/Akubra+The+Croc+Hat+-+Black+

Note, this is the hat from the worst of the three...

I did find a link earlier that shows different band options and where the most expensive has 19 "real" teeth.
"Due to the difficulty in obtaining export permits required for the crocodile band this style of hat is only available for domestic sale." :_(

I would go for an Akubra regardless — fine old hat maker. (Didn't they make the Man From Snowy River hat, too?)

"Due to the difficulty in obtaining export permits required for the crocodile band this style of hat is only available for domestic sale." :_(

I would go for an Akubra regardless — fine old hat maker. (Didn't they make the Man From Snowy River hat, too?)

Yes they did. Akrubra and RM Williams boots seem to be standard for all the people on the land - both in film and in real life.

I was looking at the variation of the Croc band, and the band alone starts at 120 through to about 200 depending on how many teeth it has.

Even though they farm crocodiles here for meat (and it tastes good too) and leather products, I was surprised to read that they use real teeth for these hats.

Back in the 80's when I was still living in Florida I would have given you the skins and teeth to make the bands for free.

We used to shoot them like rats back then there were so many of them

I was looking at the variation of the Croc band, and the band alone starts at 120 through to about 200 depending on how many teeth it has.

The hat band in the movie was in fact made of Rattlesnake skin!

The only copy of this movie I have is on Laser Disc and my player has died. I don't have my DVD copy anymore and as far as I know, this classic film is not on Blu-ray Disc yet.

It looks (from Google images) that there is possibly 2 or even 3 variations for the 3 films. It looks like the 3rd film hat used the croc band. It does look like snake on the early versions, but I don't think rattle snake, as we don't have them in Australia.

His jacket in the infamous "That's not a knife" scene is snake (python) so maybe the band is from the same skin.

C3LZ_EW-.jpg

The band on the hat in the first post definitely appears to be rattlesnake. Yeah, maybe not accurate, but that looks like what they used.

Believe me, snakeskin was used on the original and not croc.
If you check out Alan Castillo's hat build he also mentions this.
He also wears the same hat in all 3 films, there is no difference.

Believe me, snakeskin was used on the original and not croc.
If you check out Alan Castillo's hat build he also mentions this.
He also wears the same hat in all 3 films, there is no difference.

I decided to watch this tonight and yes, snake skin on the band. It looks more like python with the pattern and pretty big scales. This neck thing seems to be three (small) croc claws on a leather strap.

OK, I reached out and asked the person who made the original hatband (She also made the Knife sheath, arm bands, necklace and the slash in his hat)
She confirmed it was snakeskin, but could not remember what it was as it was "old stock"

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back