Building R2-D2 Update, 3 Years and Finally Finished

Re: Building R2-D2

Beautiful build! Question..... do you have some sort of internal rod or pipe connecting both legs at the shoulder so they do not move independent of each other? I hope the question makes sense. My legs are independent of each other and makes positioning a little tricky ( he has to lean up against a wall. Mind you, I'm about 85% finished.

Beautiful build! Question..... do you have some sort of internal rod or pipe connecting both legs at the shoulder so they do not move independent of each other? I hope the question makes sense. My legs are independent of each other and makes positioning a little tricky ( he has to lean up against a wall. Mind you, I'm about 85% finished.
Thanks!
There is a steel rod going through the centre of the hubs, but the legs are independantly connected to the frame with bolts each side. (see picture)

If I was going to go with a 3 leg setup I would have probably gone for a "gas pipe" set up similar to this

The sun came out and I decided to crack on with the build
Got the steel feet out of storage and hit them with self etching primer, then a couple of coats of white and then sealer.
Next day, fitted the aluminium plates and the hose fittings.

Side plates also painted

My last parts arrived, Shiny!
QE8XjdD.jpg

Not so shiny!

Last edited:

On to the battery boxes.
Added the hose fittings and harnesses
6b10h9T.jpg

Legs now complete

ggkJBRF.jpg

Please ignore the shy suitcase :D

Last edited:

It has been 3 long years since I started this project, A lot has happened to put poor R2 on the back burner for a while.
I have 2 new toddlers (now 2 and 3) which obviously has taken up lot of my free spare time .

Anyhoo, I am proud to announce that R2 is finally finished.

I’m pretty pleased how he has turned out, He isn’t weathered but I like the clean “throne room” R2.

star-wars-episode-iv-new-hope-the-throne-room-nydailynews-com.jpg

I’m sure he will be naturally weathered by the kids anyway.:D

It´s nice in it´s pristine look. :cool:thumbsup

I was today on a shopping tour for mine, but as i´m still collecting parts i´m lightyears away from such a great display peace as you are.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back