Thorssoli's First Order Builds - Captain Phasma FINISHED on Page 21!

Re: Thorssoli's Episode VII Builds (Flametrooper Progress Continues on P12)

Yep, you're a machine alright:) Lots of project/work on the go and always, always a Pro-Job for the end result!!

Boy you must love sanding :)

Oddly, no. Not so much.

But such is life. For now though...

MOAR PICTURES!!!

After a solid week and a half of nothing but sanding and filling, I primed all the parts. Then did more filling and sanding:
31504981282_9a3ae67f2f_c.jpg

Once I thought I'd filled all of the tiny little pinholes, it was time to get to painting:
31504979962_5106326e4b_c.jpg

I had help:
30809818594_5deb0971f2_c.jpg

Here's the stack of shoulder armor somewhere in the middle of the process:
31504978802_f0f81bc0b7_c.jpg

The gloss black revealed a few stray, tiny pinholes on some of the fiberglass parts:
31504977592_d900a64824_c.jpg

30809816474_e86582c42f_c.jpg

This is the worst piece:
30809816754_3468961303_c.jpg

The main annoyance throughout this process is that the big compressor decided to croak. So painting means plugging in the little compressor (the one that's usually only good for filling flat tires) and waiting until it fills the big air tank. Then, after an hour, I can run the HVLP gun for about 20 minutes before the tank is spent and I have to wait another hour for the little compressor to catch up again. It makes what should've been a couple hours into all damned day.

Leeloo (the puptard) was not thrilled:
31504977012_7998f7f7fc_c.jpg

Still, at the end of the day, there was a big stack of painted chest boxes:
30809815624_2132919d57_c.jpg

The resin pieces took the gloss much better:
31504974602_f5baa59a43_c.jpg

Mostly because I did a better job of spotting all of the pinholes.

So now I'm just waiting for the paint to harden a bit more (it's cold here) and then I can touch up the pinholes, wet sand everything, and shoot another coat of gloss black. I'm using an automotive, single-stage urethane black, so it doesn't require a clearcoat. I may add one anyway since more shiny can't be a bad thing. It'll depend on how I like the surface once the second coat cures.

Sadly, it looks like I'll have to wear something else to the Rogue One premier her in my local theater.

Such is life.

I'm still on track to have all sorts of options when Episode VIII comes around.

Great stuff man! Love the way these pieces are shining!!

Re: Thorssoli's Episode VII Builds (TIE Pilot Nearing Completion of Page 14)

I decided to pull a hail Mary on Thursday and get a set of armor strapped together even though the paint wasn't perfect:
31302671130_52afbdf271_c.jpg

Then I got a call from a friend asking me to get a set together for him, so I stopped working on mine and strapped another set together:
31302671080_cc93a74a4f_c.jpg

I ran out of time before I had a chance to assemble the belts and forearms, but they were looking pretty good at this point:
30916342364_137b0b659a_c.jpg

That's my friend Ian trying on a set last night.

Still, all of my work Thursday was wasted and I still have to disassemble both sets so I can wet sand all of the imperfections out of the paint job and recoat them.

Here's another one of the chests after wet sanding with a dab of spot putty over every one of the pinholes I could see:
30916343084_b5f6c71840_c.jpg

And one of the backs in the same state:
30916344024_acc83ed0a0_c.jpg

Since then, I've sanded them both down to 600 grit. The spot putty has been reduced to just enough to fill the pinholes themselves, so it's barely noticeable on the now dull surface.

Tomorrow I'll be shooting another coat of black and they should be good to go.

Here's hoping.

Last edited:

Apologies for the lack of updates. It's been a busy couple of weeks. Spent the holidays out of town with my dog and my girlfriend. Then I got back just in time to have a bunch of nasty weather hit. I spent more hours than I'd like to think about sitting bundled up in the workshop wet-sanding TIE pilot parts. Then a storm knocked over a tree in front of the shop:
31977395412_1deaecbafd_c.jpg

That was about the same time I'd planned on squirting my second coat of paint on all of the TIE stuff. Instead, I got to spend the afternoon helping with tree removal and fence mending (to prevent any creatures from escaping):
31977391772_bbc59d6b42_c.jpg

But at least I get to look forward to a massive bonfire once the weather clears up and the time comes to burn all of the leftover brush.

In any case, after tying down a few things so the wind wouldn't carry them away, I finally got a chance to swab out the workshop, set up for paint, and start shooting black. So now I have a second coat of paint on everything and it's gorgeous:
31977109782_42032ffdeb_c.jpg

32007122481_c9b1a707cf_c.jpg

31750467620_16ea22c79e_c.jpg

32007124871_ac4cda3eeb_c.jpg

Once all of the paint hardens, I'll be buffing out a few minor flaws and it'll be time to pick out the details, add straps and decals, and finally say that I've finished myself one of the First Order costumes I've been working on.

Then all I have to do is make a backpack for the flametrooper, chrome a complete set of Phasma parts, and mold the last couple of details for the standard stormtrooper. Then maybe I'll find a few minutes to start working on Snowtrooper parts again.

So yeah. Much to be done.

Last edited:

Drooling here! Beautiful work as usual, hope you had a decent break!

Drooling here! Beautiful work as usual, hope you had a decent break!

That I did. Also, that's your box in the background there. I'll have it out the next time I make a post office run.

YER BOX.jpg

Wow, all that shiny stuff makes me happy! Another great update:)

Nice! That TIE Pilot is one of the only things I liked from TFA.

We had a huge wind storm here about 9 years ago and it knocked down two smaller trees (than your tree) and it took my dad and I about 10 truckloads to haul it to where the city was collecting debris. Fun...

Shiny TIE pilot madness continues:

I've actually managed to finish assembling a couple of sets of armor. It's tough to keep the dust off of them in the workshop:

Somewhere along the way, I finished helping a friend of mine make a stick:

It's the best stick ever:

Most of it was 3D printed parts fitted onto a piece of 1" aluminum tube. So that's kinda cool.

Speaking of 3D printed parts, I downloaded the F-11D blaster files from Whitearmor.net (LINK) and set my machines to work:

After a few more days of printing, I had parts for three full blasters:

Eager to feel like I'd finished something, I went ahead and cleaned up one full set of parts. Here's the black bits:

Here's the full set of parts painted and assembled before I went out and picked up all of the little torx and socket cap screws:

So now I've got one fully-assembled blaster that just needs lights installed:

The other two will both have the extended tactical stock. One will be black and white just like this one. The other will be chrome and white for my Phasma.

Stay tuned...

I swear shiny things attract dust. That blaster came out nice!

I swear shiny things attract dust. That blaster came out nice!

There's a lot of dust to attract.

The blaster will be a lot better once I add the LEDs and all of the stickers. The5thHorseman really put together some great files.

Thanks for the compliments about the files. By the way, I don't know if you have noticed but I have just made available a special version of those on the FISD especially to make Phasma's blaster.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back