Kids Captain Phasma costume from 4 foot TFA Stormtrooper toy

I gutted a TFA stormtrooper battle buddy and and repainted it for my 6 year old daughter. I will tell you it was torture, specifically the dremeling. It was endless & took over my entire kitchen. Anyone wishing to go down this road should know that up front. 2 month is a good estimate on the amount of time required if you're working at a leisurely pace. I was able to do it in a couple of weeks but I was rushing for Halloween. Just looking at that Rubbermaid trashcan gave me flashbacks to the smell of melted plastic mixed, hot glue & blood. It looked incredible when completed so good that we have it displayed on a mannequin now. We used the helmet from the battle buddy, which had to be extruded so that it would fit. For the lenses I found that a pair of 3M safety goggles fit almost perfectly once trimmed & glued in place. I also recycled the hard parts from the battle buddies boots to make toe and heel caps which once glued onto a pair of all black canvas sneakers made for pretty convincing stormtrooper boots. Great work btw!

Yeah dreamaling all that out was no fun, it may have made more sense to use the pieces as bucks to vaccuform then at least the plastic would have been hips or ABS and could have been easily glued.

Wow what an amazing costume that's going to be!

Reminds me of when my dad made my pac-man costume in 1983.

I could barely see out of the thing, but it won the school competition.
Every kid wanted one.

I've been thinking ever since I made mine that I might make molds of the final suit and try to make a kits few over the winter/summer and have them up sale for next hallloween. I've never made a mold of anything that complex or large before, but I feel like its something I could manage given my skill set after some research, trial & error. That way no other parent would have to suffer through that grinding process again. I think a TK would be more popular, and I was hoping that they'd have one for Xmas this year with the release of R1. It seems like it would be a big project to do this and I have no real concept of how complicated it would be to vacuum form th final pieces, but there are plenty of lugs on you tube doing it that make it look easy. But, does anyone else already offer realistic kids trooper armor? TK or otherwise?

I am about 95% done, only thing left is to assemble the helmet and weather everything!
the other day I got the cape done, I found a cool material that has a real matted look
IMG_4991.JPG
Also got all the armor assembled, I used aluminum tape on the lower leg armor as it is clearly visible in the promo shots, wanted to have a little nod to that. Still need some details painted black before weathering but should be able to knock it out quick.
IMG_5001.JPG
Also got the blaster completed
IMG_4996.JPG

Last edited:
I just read this and your jango thread. You are amazing. Your builds beat the mando kits I'm making for my kids by a long shot.

-R-

RvanAken trust me it's never perfect but what's important is that the kids are happy!

Well its all done! Here are the pictures from the final fitting tonight!
IMG_5261.JPGIMG_5262.JPGIMG_5263.JPG
Tomorrows Trick or Treat then probly next weekend we will do a little photo shoot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me start by saying Wow. I am new to the craft. I just started this Halloween. I bought a Black Series RO TK helmet, the cheap rubies $45 Stormtrooper outfit, Nerf E-11 and wore black work gloves and work boots. I was stopped in my neighborhood about 45 times, kids and adults alike...was a great thing to see those kids get excited. Next thing I know, I am joining the 501st, have my first TK kit (AM 2.0) on the way, and am modding a Kylo Ren BS helmet to do that build as well.

I was looking for the right thread to say to everyone, I have never been more impressed with the creativity, the artwork, the dedication to a craft as I am having seen all the things on this site. This build, taking hours and hours, for a child, is an incredible and unselfish thing to do...I think this craft and the community goes far and above the art and the crafting. I am eternally impressed with every piece I see, as much as I am the people, the patience and the intelligence behind them. To try to do this is one of the best decisions I have made in my life. So thank you to everyone for the inspiration!!!

I agree, Thresh...as a community, to bring this craft and hobby to kids around the World, well, if there ever becomes a way to do that, a collective place or Company to do that, count me in.

Thanks Jaltrooper I have found this community nothing but supportive and willing to help. The thing that really brought me here is that the threads are not "look at this cool thing I did" and much more "this is how I made this cool thing". No mater if someone is making a first prop from cardboard or a full on professional run, they get the same encouragement.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back