Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's more that it COULD have been a fun discussion thread that's been lost... There have been some good discussions, comparing and contrasting to the old flicks. What the original did right, what the new did wrong/could have done better... why the second is maybe as bad as the new, if not worse...

Again... no one said you can't think negatively about a movie... it's about it being a discussion forum, not a spread the hate and take glee in it forum.

Where this thread went really south and the point I became engaged was when the conversation turned towards making accusations such as the female President of Paramount sleeping her way to the top, or the very borderline misogynistic attacks of the actresses themselves (which has precedence here in the RPF, see the TFA thread and claims that Rey was a Mary Sue, I aggressively fought against that characterization as well), and the most amusing to me were the cries that the film negatively portrayed men. Having never seen it I can't speak to that but if true, the way women are usually portrayed in films I say we owe them one at least. None of this had to do with the movie and some was deemed offensive enough to warrant removal by the Moderators. I have been here long time and have had plenty of disagreements and dust up with members but have never been told to pull a comment and have certainly never put anyone on ignore. I think this distinction is important and should not carry over into other threads.
You guys are hitting the nail on the head-- spoken way better than I ever could have worded it.

It's not about striking negativity in the conversation-- it's about having an actual conversation. I've had countless entertaining, civil, fun discussions with other fans on both sides of the fence. Something the reboot detractors by and large have a tough time doing here. It's treated like some sort of competition in this thread. So strange.

Right?

It's beyond toxic and pathological.

DyR4M_s-200x150.gif

This is the single most embarrassing thread on the forum. I can't believe it's still up.

As has been said. It's not about "constantly trashing a movie." It's the way in which you guys have done the trashing. There are four key elements to this that I think you don't get, and they're the reasons (I suspect) why people are giving you grief about it.

1. You guys have been relentless about this. There were periods where this thread was LITERALLY kept in the top two or three threads by a discussion between you and goldhawk alone. The general vibe is also that whenever someone else posts something positive -- or even just non-negative, you'll be there to crap on the movie as if to counteract the non-negative post and make sure you get that criticism in.

2. You've also been incredibly repetitive. The film sucks, you say? You aren't a fan? No me digas! Personally, I am mystified that the English language has, apparently, so many varied ways to say "It sucked. I didn't like it." And when people try to change the subject to something other than "The film sucked," folks like goldhawk are THERE to shut that crap down! Ooooh no! You're not pullin' a fast one on US, buddy-boy, with your "hey did you see this prop" picture, and your feeble attempts to try to discuss the original films! Nothin' doin', pal! This film SUCKS, and that's the point! Rar!

3. When people have pointed out how much you're dominating the conversation, and how you're basically crowding out discussion that isn't yet another variant of "Hey this film sucks," your response has basically boiled down to "Don't like it? Then **** off." It is, especially, this last point that I think rubs people wrong the most. It's not just that you're negative. It's not just that you cannot help but dive into any and all discussions that aren't about the negativity to insert a bit of negative commentary. It's that when people basically say "Hey, I'm trying to have a discussion here," your basic response is that you don't care what anyone else says or thinks; you're gonna crap on this film no matter what, and anyone who doesn't like it can GTFO. When you tell folks "So just add me to ignore," that's basically telling folks "I don't care. **** off, if you don't like it." Even if people add you to their ignore lists, there are times when a good chunk of real estate on this page is your ignored posts. If they have goldhawk on too, you can end up with, like, a solid half page of "This message is ignored."

4. When you aren't basically telling people that you don't give a damn if they don't like what you have to say, you're playing the victim and talking about how poorly you've been treated here and elsewhere. Dude. Nobody cares anymore. You've eaten up whatever sympathy and goodwill you might have had before, because you are basically treating people like crap yourself. Your refusal to take a step back and take a good hard look at what you're doing, your defensiveness, and your apparent inability to take into consideration the experience of others here just makes you look like a self-absorbed *******. Don't be that guy.

Most importantly, you don't have to be that guy.

Look, I really hate the Star Wars prequels. Pretty much everyone here knows it, too. But I'm also capable of having a discussion ABOUT the prequels that doesn't just boil into 50 shades of "The film sucked. I didn't like it." I can engage with the other person on the substance of the discussion, and do so in a way that isn't just unbridled bashing. I can articulate in pretty good detail what my complaints are about the films, and where I think they went wrong. I can also discuss the points in the films that weren't wholly objectionable and give credit where it's due, in spite of the (in my opinion) generally flawed nature of the films. Most importantly, I can do all of this in a way that doesn't come across as me trying to shut down contrary discussion.

Let me put it another way. Maybe move past the "bashing" and move towards "discussion the flaws of the film." And then do so when such a discusion is actually warranted and part of the conversation. Which means that if folks are examining a behind-the-scenes photo of a prop or the actors on set, maybe don't:

- comment on how stupid/awful the actors are and/or what bad people they are for being involved.
- point out how crappy and lame the props look, without at least engaging in a substantive discussion of how they're so clearly inferior to other props in general or the props from the original films.
- use the discussion as just another opportunity to say "it sucks. I didn't like it" and little else.

You can be negative in a way that still respects the rest of the people who are trying to have discussions here. You can be critical without just being an unbridled sourpuss. You can discuss what you don't like about the film in a substantive way. And if you're at the point where you just don't have more to say on that subject then maybe you just don't have anything else to say.

so we are back to trashing me and how i do things again.

that's the new angle now....huh?

gotcha. onto the ignore list.

Even when you put people on the ignore list and try to ignore them, they trash you and it takes someone else to point out to them 'THEY ARE Taking the high road by ignoring you'.
honestly, I don't care what people think at this point. you've all made up your minds one way or another.

I honestly think I've been quite calm up to this point... but if all people want to talk about is me and how much I hate this film, have at it.
I'll just sit back here, smh and slowly try to back out of the crazy culture the internet has become....

have fun.

How is this thread still going?!?!?!

Here is how the thread should have gone:

- Movies trailers looked stupid, and the movie looked bad
- Movie comes out and is boring and bad
- Comments come in saying "Well, that movie wasn't very good"
- No more comments 3 days after premiere, because there is nothing left to talk about

To sit here and continuously whine about the movie well after it's been out makes you just as large of a problem as the movie. YOU ARE THE ONLY REASON ANYTHING IS STILL BEING SAID ABOUT THIS MOVIE! No one would ever have to hear about this movie every again if you could just let this irrational hatred go. We get it. Some of us even saw it. We know the movie sucked. We don't need to hear how much it sucked every 2 hours. It's done. Let it go.

Seriously, damn.

Neil, dude.

I like you, but you're missing the point of what Solo was trying to say entirely. You're seeing any constructive advice as a personal attack. Playing the victim like this is beneath you.

Isn't being negative about negativity and bullying those who mighy feekl negatively spreading the negativity? I think I need a counselor to help me work through these feelings. Dr. Phil?! Where are you, you circus clown?

He has NEVER been bullied. He has been asked in jokingly and serious ways to chill out.... cuz he's bringing such INCREDIBLE negativity to the forum that there are now 13 people who are blocked for asking him to cut it out.

Bullying. Give me a break.

I got blocked for writing "You sir, are drunk" in regards to him saying "sounds like a typical paul feig disaster." (Cuz I think his track record proved up to that point that he certainly wasn't making disasters)
Is that bullying? Want to chime in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't being negative about negativity and bullying those who mighy feekl negatively spreading the negativity? I think I need a counselor to help me work through these feelings. Dr. Phil?! Where are you, you circus clown?

I got blocked when I challenged the sexism in his comment that implied the Paramount CEO was effectively a wh**e. I even did him a favor and deleted it from my quoted comment after the mods pulled it.

Neil, dude.

I like you, but you're missing the point of what Solo was trying to say entirely. You're seeing any constructive advice as a personal attack. Playing the victim like this is beneath you.

not trying to play the victim..

I'm just trying to stand up for myself here. and just trying to point out stuff that either gets ignored, or swept under the rug so this could continue to be called 'the worst thread ever'... smh.

just trying to figure out what's allowed and what isn't.
you try to please some, and wind up pleasing no one.
and the very thing you do almost a year ago now that someone suggested recently gets closed up with no explanation, and the cycle continues.
and the thread is so danged long now, people's memories are getting mixed up to boot...

At this point i'm just worn out and worn down trying to care. and if i post i'm trying to take a break, I'll just come back to argue some more in the endless cycle of insanity.
All I wanted to do was trash a movie. when people constantly redirect their style of posts towards you? when you try to constantly ignore it and just continue doing what you do?

who wouldn't that wear down?

Like I said, have fun if that's what you want to do.

I'm trying to move on....
I'll bash this thing elsewhere.

now i will take a break.

You can be negative in a way that still respects the rest of the people who are trying to have discussions here. You can be critical without just being an unbridled sourpuss. You can discuss what you don't like about the film in a substantive way. And if you're at the point where you just don't have more to say on that subject then maybe you just don't have anything else to say.
lvGoNWL.gif

NeoRutty I would disagree, he got bullied, I remember specifically defending him against some of that, but Im not sifting through 64 pages to find it. I specifically remember funky Jedi, Ben Kenobi, Karmajay and a few others being rude, and having that mob mentality against him. It was ridiculous and petty, so I felt the need to say something. I think some of my comments got pulled too, if it makes you feel any better.
Bryancd Now the real question is... Were they reboot toys, or original toys? ;-) Haha Just teasin.

All kidding aside though, I think both sides need to not be so dramatic about it. NeoRutty, I think youre blowing things out of proportion, youre acting like some negativity about some stupid movie in one thread is affecting the entire forum. According to you guys, NeilT and Goldenhawk infected all the other threads on the forum with their hate of this movie, and we all know thats ridiculous. Just chill guys, NeilT even said himself he thinks the thread is done, and by saying that, ignited some sort of **** storm...

It's about nipping it in the bud. This thread made me hate Ghostbusters... what if it leaks to Stranger Things... or Star Wars...

Or what if I FINALLY get my thread together on SPACE CAMP.

SPACE CAMP FOLKS.

Forget it... I could never hate Space Camp. :lol

It's about nipping it in the bud. This thread made me hate Ghostbusters... what if it leaks to Stranger Things... or Star Wars...

Or what if I FINALLY get my thread together on SPACE CAMP.

SPACE CAMP FOLKS.

Forget it... I could never hate Space Camp. :lol

No, the reboot made you hate the new Ghostbusters! Besides, if someone on a forum can make you hate something, and make you sway that hard, maybe you didnt like it that much in the first place. :lol But hey, there can be no pleasure without pain, no love without hate, energy derives from both the plus and negative. (if anyone knows where I got that last part we are friends now)

What is this space camp you speak of? Sounds like something I would be into. I like camping, I like space... Im in!

Space! Camping!

And not just that... An All-Star Cast!

Viper from Top Gun!
Willie Scott!
Leaf Phoenix! (Before growing into River Phoenix)
Marty McFly's Mom!
A black guy!
Joshua - Rachel's man obsession in Friends!
A Sentient Robot!
John Travolta's Beard!
Star Wars Quotes!

A critic called it "A Nice Diversion!"

What DOESN'T it have...

I forgot who on here coined the term, "ragingly annoying alpha presence" - but no one should want to be that guy... I mean, I'm sure *I* am in the funny/cool picture thread, hahaha... I *get* the dislike for this movie (still haven't seen it), but there's really zero need to play whack-a-mole with every single opinion contrary to your own.

64959801.jpg

***** ******. I was being sarcastic with that entire post. Was that not clear? My god almighty. Does everything need to come with crib notes and disclaimers nowadays? Damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back