Trek Assault Phaser Paint scheme?

propsculptor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have a Star Trek Assault Phaser and I was talking with a buddy of mine and we weren't sure on the Paint scheme...anyone know for sure?

I think it's Flat Black with the handle Grip color being Gloss coated,
trek5phaser.jpg
my buddy thinks it's actually a Metallic...

I examined two original props at HMS back in 2003.

The original was matt black, oversprayed with printers' "opaquing fluid" that gave it a VERY subtle, kind-of-metallic-but-not-really sheen.

It would NEVER be picked up on camera, so I have no idea why they bothered to apply the overspray.

If you use black automotive primer and then lightly buff it (or use Krylon semi-gloss black) either will get you close to the color.

The grip was not a different shade on the two film props (that *I* saw...there could be others...) The Ed Mirecki replicas are all gunmetal color and have the grip painted a different color, so that is where that came from...the original filming props were NOT gunmetal.

Good information. I have one of these on the bench as well. Here's a question I've been wondering about. Was the butt of the grip of the screen used props painted red as it is on these in the photo?

starfleet-phaser-bottom-st6.jpg

Good information. I have one of these on the bench as well. Here's a question I've been wondering about. Was the butt of the grip of the screen used props painted red as it is on these in the photo?

The Assault Phasers made by Greg Jein for Star Trek V had metal plates with engraved logo/number, the Phasers made by Ed Miarecki for Star Trek VI had stickers that were designed to like the metal plates applied to them. Besides the material the most notable difference is the color of the logo/number: Star Trek V - gold, Star Trek VI - white.

Josef

The Assault Phasers made by Greg Jein for Star Trek V had metal plates with engraved logo/number, the Phasers made by Ed Miarecki for Star Trek VI had stickers that were designed to like the metal plates applied to them. Besides the material the most notable difference is the color of the logo/number: Star Trek V - gold, Star Trek VI - white.

Josef

So when were the ones with the black engraving made? Furthermore, why would Phasers with gold engraving that say "Excelsior" on them have been made for ST V when that ship wasn't even in that film, but was in ST VI?

I don't know personally know the answers, but I don't believe that information to be correct. What is it's source?

So when were the ones with the black engraving made? Furthermore, why would Phasers with gold engraving that say "Excelsior" on them have been made for ST V when that ship wasn't even in that film, but was in ST VI?

I don't know personally know the answers, but I don't believe that information to be correct. What is it's source?

Very good questions, honestly I have no idea and I have never noticed that there was an Excelsior version. The black engraving could be a result of the lighting with which the above picture was taken, but of course it could be really black too. All the info I've posted I got directly from Ed Miarecki. After I bought a screenused Assault Phaser from him I sent him several mails with questions, which were generously answered by him. Alec Peters did a research on his blog about the Assault Phaser, where he was also using photos of my Phasers and info I gave to him. Also he contacted Ed Miarecki directly who gave him a lot of info.

http://startrekauction.blogspot.com/2009/08/star-trek-5-assault-phaser-part-1.html

http://startrekauction.blogspot.com/2009/08/star-trek-56-assault-phaser-part-2.html

http://startrekauction.blogspot.com/2009/08/star-trek-56-assault-phaser-part-3-ed.html

Josef

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back