Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Canto-Bight, hiring a slicer. It's like the director didn't know that Droids can hack into ships and BB8 was right there.

Actually this story line brought in DJ who would be the one to give away the Resistance cloaking technology and allowed the F.O. to see the escaping shuttles.

jlee562
If you can argue that knowing the Emperors background would have made ANH or the OT convoluted, then I can certainly argue that TLJ is convoluted and show how they could have reduced that issue.
Bryancd
They could have written it a different way. Perhaps someone aboard the Cruiser gives up the tech in exchange for leniency. Rose did mention some people already turning coward and trying to use escape pods.

Last edited by a moderator:
@jlee562
If you can argue that knowing the Emperors background would have made ANH or the OT convoluted, then I can certainly argue that TLJ is convoluted and show how they could have reduced that issue.

1) That's not my argument.
2) Your argument seems to assume that I don't have any issues with with TLJ's plot/pacing/narrative and/or that I'm arguing the film is not convoluted. Neither assumption would be true.

@jlee562
@Bryancd
They could have written it a different way. Perhaps someone aboard the Cruiser gives up the tech in exchange for leniency. Rose did mention some people already turning coward and trying to use escape pods.

For sure but it made for a fun romp, I enjoyed the running of the fathiers. And it gave Fin a much needed history lesson.

Why do people really care what Mark thinks? He's just another person with his own opinion like us. Your shouldn't base your enjoyment of something on others opinions. Lots a good movies have actors that didn't like their roles.

Ben

Im not sure how I got my responses crossed but will just go with it for the sake of all our sanity. I will respond to each comment in order to lessen any crossing.

In regards to SOLO, it seems that there were issues from the very begining and it was allowed to fester for a long time and much expense until action was taken. This late action that has had a cloud hanging over the entire project since

The video was suggesting that Johnson was writing TLJ as Abrams was in production of TFA and was mostly oblivious to what Abrams was doing. That was the basis for the video and my response to that video. Nothing to do with Trevorrow.

The Hybrid Networks reporting is as valid as anyone elses in the business. If you percieve them as being biased because they didnt like the movie that is simply your opinion. It can just as easily be said that you are biased against The Hybrid Network because you liked the movie and they didnt. Both are purely subjective.

George Lucas was standing next to Kirshner through the entire process and I`m sure that Lucas would have had the whole Leia / Luke thing down at the time and it played out just as he had envisioned and Kirshner knew exactly that. Now that is just reasonable assumption but Im sure those with a greater SWIQ than myself will be able to clarify that. Either way the impact of Leia and Luke being brother and sister is a genius move that did nothing to undermine the series and was something that was never questioned by the masses or confused them. I cant imagine a time when Lucas didnt want Han to be the love interest. Again, the benefit of having one person in charge.

My use of poor JJ was sarcastic.

My response to Usagi Pilgrim`s post at # 2104

You took the time to go out of your way to quote and comment on my post about someone else entirely, any danger of commenting on this? Or are you still not getting quoted notifications.

Last edited:
Look at the poll at the top of the thread, more people disliked it than they liked it, and thats just in this forum, the MAJORITY of people on this forum are fans of the OT.

What poll are you looking at?!?

Loved it: 26.62 % vs. It was bad (the larger of the two negative scores): 19.06% -- Loved it comes out on top.

Like it: 20.68% vs. It was bad: 19.06% -- Liked it comes out on top.

47.3% of the poll results show people either loved or liked the film, versus 33.09% who were disappointed or think it was flat out bad.

The "It was OK" metric is problematic because it's literally contradicting itself. One of the options in this category is "wait for home video," which implies a group of people who haven't even seen it yet, and therefore have no business commenting on the enjoyment of the film. Even so, saying it was OK and saying one was not too pleased with it suggests having no strong feelings one way or the other. Therefore, the subjective nature of this category invalidates it because "it was OK" can be taken as someone who didn't dislike the film, but "not too pleased with it" can be taken as someone who did dislike it.

Really, the only valid interpretation of this unscientific poll is that about 47% of the responders had a positive experience with The Last Jedi, about 33% had a negative experience, and about 20% were indifferent to it (numbers all rounded).

Philip Morris, makes alot of money, they must have a great product. Im investing.:lol

It's not bad, pays a 4.1% annual dividend. Good for clients looking for some growth and income.

- - - Updated - - -

Its all about the money isnt it Bryan.

It's my job to invest in stocks to make people money, so yes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 4.30.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 4.30.59 PM.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 75
The scond time i saw it a few rows behind us a guy just shouted "Bull****!" when Leia started flying.

Many of us thought that would have been a fitting way to say goodbye. There was something angelic about the way Leia was drifting in space. The entire theater was silent as they expected this was the moment... I thought for sure she was going to simply drift into darkness.

But you like the film? Cause now Im confused.

I mean, is nuance really that hard to understand?

Do you only like movies that are practically perfect in every way? If I said I only enjoyed flawless films, I'd be down to like, Raiders, BTTF (the first one), and Waking Ned Devine.

I give TLJ a solid B+. What stops it from being an A+ for me is all the stuff I said when I posted my thoughts however many pages back. The pacing is uneven between the two divergent narrative threads. It doesn't quite mesh completely for me, it feels like the starship chase could've tuned down the urgency and the Canto Bight sequence could have turned up the urgency.

What makes up for that not quite working is a lot of the sheer visual spectacle. I know that most folks on the RPF have at least a passing knowledge of Kurosawa, but this installment from Every Frame a Painting on Kurosawa really highlights the things that I found Johnson also seems to have borrowed. Particularly the way in which he uses smoke/dust/fire in the throne room scenes and on Crait. The visuals in this movie are simply astounding. Holdo's lightspeed kamikaze run? Stunning.

It's not bad, pays a 4.1% annual dividend. Good for clients looking for some growth and income.

- - - Updated - - -

It's my job to invest in stocks to make people money, so yes.

Hey, you said it better than I ever could.:lol This place aint no stock market. But I guess it could be a great way to show your clients how committed you are to THIER cause

And that idea about Phillp Morris using TLJ packaging to attrct new customers is my idea in case you plan to bring it up at the next AGM.:lol

Last edited:
Quality is subjective. Revenue is an objective fact.

Then can we ask the mods to close this topic? Clearly we only need to look at box office results and that's that, why even discuss the movie? Also, people here who openly dislike it watched it more than once. I was planning on doing it but then decided I can get a better pastime.

Hey S,

Many fans feel, I am included, that tossing the saber over his shoulder and the destruction of the Jedi texts / scrolls was / is a metaphor for throwing out the old in favor of a new story and/or direction. What makes it difficult was how TFA played out with its extensive use of plot devices and visual points all pointing to Rey finding Luke. Whether someone liked TFA or not, the saber was a clear connection between Luke and Rey. Remember, Han asks how Maz was able to get hold of the saber where she responds its a "story for another day". We are led to believe that there is significant value behind this one single object. Maz tells Rey that the saber is "calling to you". Anakin built that saber. Obi Wan saved it and gave it to Luke. Someone found the saber and after 30 years it wound up in Maz's hands. Rey hands the saber to Luke only to have it tossed away? It did NOT sit well with a lot of us.

Turning the page, finding a new direction and paving way for new characters must happen. I think we all understand that. But many people feel the way Luke and his timeline was simply "tossed over the shoulder" was an insult. Luke's character deserved a better send off. Look how the Han Solo story line played out in TFA - it was totally different. Han had one more adventure before we said goodbye. I think a majority of original fans wanted to see Luke actually fight one more time, use the Force as Yoda did (which in many ways he did). Be the wise man and mentor to Rey in greater depth similar to Obi Wan / Yoda was to Luke.

I enjoyed the movie overall and I hope the next movie closes loop and finally answers many lingering questions.

Anywho... just my opinion. I hope this helps. :)
I fully agree with you on turning the page and finding a new direction. TFA did okay for setting the scene up again and introducing characters, even if it didn't have to go that safe with the story. As said before, my issue is that it just didn't happen in this movie. There is no new direction. There is no turning the page. There is a lot of wheelspinning and they got rid of Luke (which I'm okay with in principle, execution is a big issue again), other than that it's the same exact setup as every Star Wars movie before. There were opportunities galore to create a new direction and/or develop ideas in a unique way. The only thing that happened is they made a list of what was set up in TFA and crossed them out without developing new ideas. Hardly new direction.
People behind this movie work really hard trying to sell the idea that it's a really unexpected and unique and bold new direction and concept, but it really isn't. It is indeed full of quotes and symbolism of letting the past go, but other than talking about it the movie never takes any steps in a new direction. It's like a scene in a movie with Christopher Lambert probably nobody knows called "Why Me?" where he is a jewel thief and is being interrogated:
- Rumour has it that you're the most infamous jewel thief in Europe.
- Yea, I know. I spread that rumour.

I'll say that, I usually look for sequels to make the movie that came before it a better movie. As much as I dislike TFA, TLJ not only didn't make it a better movie, it actually made quite a bit of it's runtime pointless now. In essence, it made it a worse movie.
:cheers:cheers:cheers

Hey, you said it better than I ever could.:lol This place aint no stock market. But I guess it could be a great way to show your clients how committed you are to THIER cause

No but some of you are woefully ill-informed about the business side to all of this, I do my best to provide some education and context when the chat delves in that direction. Case in point was a post mentioning that McDonalds makes money though advertising. That's not the case and I explained how they make money. :) I have a fiduciary responsibility to be committed to THEIR cause.

- - - Updated - - -

Then can we ask the mods to close this topic? Clearly we only need to look at box office results and that's that, why even discuss the movie?

It's just one objective fact, there aren't many when evaluating art.

No but some of you are woefully ill-informed about the business side to all of this, I do my best to provide some education and context when the chat delves in that direction. Case in point was a post mentioning that McDonalds makes money though advertising. That's not the case and I explained how they make money. :)

I`m sorry that you think some of us here are woefully ill-informed about the business side of all this, I wasnt aware that its something people gather here to discuss in such great detail, thats your shtik isnt it?

I mean, is nuance really that hard to understand?

Do you only like movies that are practically perfect in every way?

Not at all, however, if I had issues to that extreme, I would have to admit it was not a good movie. If I wanted to sit and look at stills, and judge a story by graphics and "visual spectacles, I would have a good comic in my lap.

If I said I only enjoyed flawless films, I'd be down to like, Raiders, BTTF (the first one), and Waking Ned Devine.

Raiders was far from flawless, but it made sense. I movie can be flawed yet still good, if it has somewhat flow, and a story thats both believable and able to follow to a certain extent without having to watch it multiple times.

I generally watch a film multiple times to catch things I missed before, not to try to understand the movie.

I give TLJ a solid B+. What stops it from being an A+ for me is all the stuff I said when I posted my thoughts however many pages back. The pacing is uneven between the two divergent narrative threads. It doesn't quite mesh completely for me, it feels like the starship chase could've tuned down the urgency and the Canto Bight sequence could have turned up the urgency.

With all due respect, the things you pointed out that you had issues with, are the heart of the movie.. The heart of any movie. Those same things you mentioned are what make a movie good or bad, otherwise its just a fast, confused, and abstract paced CGI blob.

What makes up for that not quite working is a lot of the sheer visual spectacle. I know that most folks on the RPF have at least a passing knowledge of Kurosawa, but this installment from Every Frame a Painting on Kurosawa really highlights the things that I found Johnson also seems to have borrowed. Particularly the way in which he uses smoke/dust/fire in the throne room scenes and on Crait. The visuals in this movie are simply astounding. Holdo's lightspeed kamikaze run? Stunning.

Agreed, but those are just not strong enough attributes to carry the film as a whole.

This is all my opinion, and I agree to disagree

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back