Which Star Wars DVD set is the closest thing to an unaltered version of original?

Actually, I think there is a DVD set with the original theatrical versions, but it’s a bad transfer. Possibly related to the old laserdisc transfer. Not good.

No blu-ray/HD theatrical version officially released yet. Maybe now that Disney bought most of 21st century fox....

For now there’s just Harmy’s Despecialized or the Team Negative 1 film reel scans.

Technically, it's the 2006 release. But then, only because that comes with the laserdisc rips.

The problem with the laserdisc rips, though, is that they are exactly that and they look like garbage on a modern display. They're unaltered, but they're not anamorphic, and they're letterboxed on top of that. So, to view them on a modern display, you'll end up basically viewing footage that has black bars both on the sides AND on top, and is at low resolution.

None of the other official releases are unaltered. The 2004 set (which is the same as the 2006 set, just without the laserdisc rips) has alterations. The 2012 bluray set does, too, but corrects some (but not all) flaws of the 2004 set.

If what you want is basically the VHS copy you grew up with but set up for modern displays...nothing official exists. At all.

What Solo said.

The only legal product that's not on a VHS tape, and doesn't have Greedo shooting first, is the laserdisc rip. It looks like this when playing on a modern TV:

nonanamorphic.jpg

The 2006 DVD release had each movie sold separately with the Special Edition on one disc and the theatrical release on a "bonus disc".

They are technically not laserdisc rips but made from the same master tapes as one of the Laserdisc editions.
Besides being letterboxed they also suffer from "temporal smoothing" , i.e. added motion blur.

You should be able to zoom it up if you have that ratio function on your remote

J

Yes, but zooming it will usually crop the picture somehow. Either the top to bottom will be cropped, or it'll be cropped on the side, or it'll be cropped all around and REALLY zoomed in. And in any case, the resolution is going to look absolutely awful on a 1080p panel.

I was hoping that Team Negative would continue working quietly and do ESB and ROTJ, but they apparently hung it up for good when their work got rave reviews and was covered everywhere.

That 4k version of ANH they started look amazing!

I have the 1993 Definitive Edition laserdisc set the '06 transfer was ripped from. For various reasons it generally looks better on laserdisc than on the DVDs. Those laserdiscs are three discs per film, four-and-a-bit sides (the last side is a photo gallery), CAV format, analog video. DVD has some advantages over laserdisc, but the digital compression of the various MPEG-2 encodings used for DVD is not among them. For all the lack of resolution by today's standards, it's better than VHS by a lot and the laserdisc doesn't have the default 4:3 aspect ratio that's the DVD standard, so it plays at the native resolution of the frame, with the rest of the screen left blank, rather than forced letterboxing (the DVD transfer has the black bars at top and botten encoded as part of the image, rather than absence of data). It's a pain in the butt for organic viewing, as you have to keep getting up to flip or change the disc, and the side-breaks are often jarringly placed.

But even then, when ILM went through and did an automated Digital Video Noise Reduction, that seems to be what tweaked the color timing for the "Definitive Edition" and all future transfers. The best-resolution, best-color, non-Special-Edition version of the OT is the Japanese Special Collection laserdisc release from the mid-'80s, if you can find it.

I love my 2006 theatrical release bonus disks.
They fit great in the steelbook cases from Kmart.

Until we get a cleaned up re-release or Blu-ray that is the best you can do.

But I have to say I do like the bigger windows on Bespin in the altered copy of ESB.

well, now that Disney owns Fox and thus the distribution rights for the original trilogy, surely we're due to finally get a Blu-Ray / 4K re-release of the unaltered editions... right?

Very doubtful. 7 and 8 seem to make clear they have no interest in the OT. Just look at their Star Wars land for the parks - little to no OT other than Star Tours.

Then again, maybe the outcry over 7 and 8 will get them to throw us a bone to try and get us back in the spending fold.

Then again, maybe the outcry over 7 and 8 will get them to throw us a bone to try and get us back in the spending fold.

But they will add insult to injury by making the 4K version a park exclusive with no way to buy it online like their removable blade sabers.

well, now that Disney owns Fox and thus the distribution rights for the original trilogy, surely we're due to finally get a Blu-Ray / 4K re-release of the unaltered editions... right?

Oh yeah, cos Disney definitely give a crap about what fans care about! ;)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back