Cosplay and Theatre Dissertation - Please help

sophofcourse

Hello!

I am new on this forum and I really need your help. I am in my third year of Technical Theatre and I am writing my dissertation at the moment. In a nutshell it is all about the relationship between a cosplayer and a theatre employee within the costume or props department.

I want to know about the positive and negatives of working with each other.

It would be amazing if those of you here who are a cosplayer working within a theatre, or an employee of the theatre working with a cosplayer if you could complete my questionnaire. ( https://goo.gl/forms/hAfbKGnK5kLKdweK2 )

Thank you so much

Sophie

I'm a propmaker student & cosplayer... I'm probably able to help you out, though so far, the questions seem to be a bit odd. I'm not entirely getting them.

I'm a propmaker student & cosplayer... I'm probably able to help you out, though so far, the questions seem to be a bit odd. I'm not entirely getting them.

Hello
Thank you for commenting, I have slightly changed the questions now so hopefully they will make more sense, could you try again? :)
If not, can I ask you questions directly?

Maybe it's just me, but what am I supposed to agree with? As in 'do you agree with the following techniques?' (paraphrasing) and it then goes sewing etc. What am I agreeing with? That they need the skills? But if it works better for you, you can ask me the questions directly.

Maybe it's just me, but what am I supposed to agree with? As in 'do you agree with the following techniques?' (paraphrasing) and it then goes sewing etc. What am I agreeing with? That they need the skills? But if it works better for you, you can ask me the questions directly.

Basically I want to know if you and the person you have worked with (for example if you were a cosplayer working with a professional theatre costume maker) agree or disagree on certain aspects of the creation of the costume/prop you helped make.
For example did you both agree with the techniques you were using?
Do you as a cosplayer have different sewing techniques than the professional theatre employee you are working along side.
Do you both use the same repairing techniques when it comes to fixing a costume or prop.

I have re-worded the question so I am hoping this helps, if you think it still doesn't come across well then let me know.

I'm not sure if 'agreeing' is the right verb to use, but in that sense... Propmakers have different techniques but it overlaps a lot. But the only REAL BIG difference is often planning and knowing how to do things. But that's just my experience as both. I'm now using my propmaking skills to plan my cosplays better. I'm going to have a look.

Went through it, it's better now.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back