MSE-6 Mouse Droid Build

Sith Lord

Combining my love of Star Wars and RC Cars, the MSE-6 had to happen! I picked up an ABS shell that had been sitting in a mates cupboard for years. Originally from a seller on WhiteArmour, but TBH it was rubbish, so I ditched it and went with plan B - 2mm Styrene.

Edited: Markus asked a question below, which I forgot to mention - The true 1:1 scale of these droids is about 22inches long (558mm). I've opted to scale it down around 80% - 18inches (457mm) for two reasons - 1: it fits the scale of a modern RC car heaps better. My choice for cars below has the perfect width for an 80% build and 2: the greeblies I've got coming have been designed for an 80% build also.

It's fairly big in person at nearly half a metre, and considering there are hardly any around (none in my Garrison), I don't think I'll get any "Geez, it looks small" comments.

One sheet of Styrene

A set of plans courtesy of the Mouse Builders Yahoo group

A bunch of cut up styrene

The base under way

The base building up. Lots of laminating sheets of styrene together to get the desired height

Base done

The donor RC car

Should go about here somewhere

Basically pulled the front steering/suspension and the rear axle/differential off the chassis to mount them separately where I needed to, adjusting the stock wheelbase marginally. Excuse the masking tape. Pitfalls of using black styrene!

Wheel arches cut

Steering servo and motor underneath. Inside probably would have been nicer, but the way the aluminium chassis components are, this way is easier.

Electronic Speed Controller (ESC), servo wires, motor wires and receiver sitting there. Just loosely for now as it will all need to come out when I putty and paint.

To be continued....

Last edited:
Top half underway:

P1030107_zpsmtttush3.jpg

P1030112_zpsxd5ggbbd.jpg

P1030113_zpszcfumlsi.jpg

P1030114_zpscrztj060.jpg

About 3 stages of fill, sand, prime, fill sand, prime, fill, sand, prime..... I'm up to a level I'm happy with:

P1030134_zps8hhqqmdz.jpg
P1030135_zpsvgkgzuww.jpg

Flat black paint next, then sit patiently awaiting the greeblie kit I've got coming....

P1030107_zpsmtttush3.jpg

P1030112_zpsxd5ggbbd.jpg

P1030113_zpszcfumlsi.jpg

P1030114_zpscrztj060.jpg

P1030134_zps8hhqqmdz.jpg

P1030135_zpsvgkgzuww.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So does Cal finally offer a full scale kit?
Last time I remember him posting about the mouse droid, he was only doing 2/3rd scale kit IIRC

So does Cal finally offer a full scale kit?
Last time I remember him posting about the mouse droid, he was only doing 2/3rd scale kit IIRC

Oops. Forgot that minor detail.

Yes a 1:1 scale is supposedly about 22 inches (558mm). I have scaled mine down to about 80% - 18inches (457mm). This fits the scale of the 1/10 scale RC car perfectly. I believe the width is spot on, and by going for the car I did I could mount the wheelbase anywhere I wanted due to the aluminium set of the chassis.

Looks awesome. I'm considering doing one of these myself next. Approx how much sheet styrene did you need for the build so far?

Looks awesome. I'm considering doing one of these myself next. Approx how much sheet styrene did you need for the build so far?

Thanks mate. I've got the whole droid cut out of that one sheet (1370mmx760mm or something like that). Plus still plenty left over for extra bracing and supports inside the shell. If you go full scale, you will need a little more than one sheet.

Thank you sir!

And we're done with the shell and drivetrain. I think I may have mentioned not being too impressed with the black being 'matt' ennough but I've decided to leave the paint as is. I've heard of some people using a Satin Black, so I'll stick with my "out of the can" matt black. It will also make touch ups easier later down the track.

Front

Side

Underneath. I may de-anodize the aluminium later down the track. But you can hardly see the red when it's on the ground...

Insides. Was having some issues, so I changed out motors (sorry, a fraction slower now), and she runs like a dream now.

Still plenty of room in there for a blue tooth speaker and iPod for sounds.

Now I wait for my Greeblie kit. Emailed them the other day - still up to 4 weeks away :(

was this finished?

- - - Updated - - -

i want one bad

Not yet. That 4 weeks, went to 6 to 8 to unknown to paypal dispute and getting my money back! So, I had to self design the greeblies (with help from the Mouse Droid builders club and a few builds on Astromech.net). Still awaiting a few more parts before I can put it all together. Good news, it went from about $350- with Moncal to $50-$60 sourcing it all myself.

2-3 weeks away I reckon...

Hi guys
I just found this thread and it brought back some great memories .
Sith lord, your construction is impressive .It's pretty close to how I built one back in the early 80's.
veektohr , the original Mouse Droid for Ep' 4 was about the size that Sith Lord has made his. They were made by John Stears ( I got to work with John later ) and he kept the Hero one after the shoot. Now I did get to play with the Mouse Droid in the Lucas Archives, but I don't remember which version they were.
Gary

wow, nice scratchbuilt...great work !
I have some spare capacitors for the panels from my build...just PN me

wow, nice scratchbuilt...great work !
I have some spare capacitors for the panels from my build...just PN me

Cheers mate. I think I have everything ordered. Just waiting for it all to come in. Free shipping from USA or China generally means by boat, likely row boat, via England and the South pole....

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back