TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

Are these on your radar to make?

Well, I never cut the notches before, so I won't do that now. But the question is whether my T-track profile is accurate for the TFA lightsaber. If not, and that is what I expect, I'll be doing a new run with a complete new profile design exclusively l for ep7 (& 8?).

Well, I never cut the notches before, so I won't do that now. But the question is whether my T-track profile is accurate for the TFA lightsaber. If not, and that is what I expect, I'll be doing a new run with a complete new profile design exclusively l for ep7 (& 8?).

Will the tracks also have the concave on the bottom to go flush with the body?

I'm shocked that there's no Chinese or Indian company making graflex replicas by the thousands and selling them for $60 each at this point. They can't be that expensive to produce. It's just a flashlight after all.

It's not as you say a flashlight ... it's a flashgun ... that was used to pop a lightbulb to produce a flash for photography with a 4x5" camera :) Use google and you'll find plenty info ... here's a picture of one in the hands of a navy photographer :

Chaim

awesome Roy!!! I can't wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cutout notches on the TFA saber seem to be slightly rounded off where they would be "cut", so I dont think they were cutout by hand, probably made with the notches in them if they were designed and cast.

The cutout notches on the TFA saber seem to be slightly rounded off where they would be "cut", so I dont think they were cutout by hand, probably made with the notches in them if they were designed and cast.

I agree. I'd really like to see someone do nice injection molded ones for this. Like the Parks/Korbanth Gralfex 2.0 comes with.

It's not as you say a flashlight ... it's a flashgun ... that was used to pop a lightbulb to produce a flash for photography with a 4x5" camera :) Use google and you'll find plenty info ... here's a picture of one in the hands of a navy photographer :

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/Graflex-01_zpsnhoipwel.jpg

Chaim

I know what it is. But in effect, it has the same components of a flashlight. A metal tube, a socket for a bulb, a button. Sure it's a different kind of bulb, but all in all, it's made in the same way as a flashlight, in terms of manufacturing.

Sabs

Indeed ... well I just learned there is another UK based vendor going to produce and sell G R A F L E X TFA lightsabers on his own ... he previously sold Parks as a middleman ... but now is going to fly solo : jqsabers ... hopefully he'll upload them to his website soon ... here's a preview of his TFA version :

(Picture Courtesy Daren Radcliffe-Speakman)

Chaim

I'm shocked that there's no Chinese or Indian company making graflex replicas by the thousands and selling them for $60 each at this point. They can't be that expensive to produce. It's just a flashlight after all.

I completely disagree. If you realize how complicated it is and how many resources are needed to produce such a high quality product with that many various high quality finished metal and plastic parts, it's amazing if you even manage to keep it under $200. Of course it very much depends on quantity as well, but the Graflex flashgun shows how beautiful and well made these industrial designs from the past are. It shows quality that nowadays products hardly ever have. Imagine that these Graflexes we seek are often more than 70 years old and still look amazing.
That's why I salute Roman for his generous task of providing us with a true replica!

That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

I agree. I'd really like to see someone do nice injection molded ones for this. Like the Parks/Korbanth Gralfex 2.0 comes with.

The prop department would never make an injection mold for only a handful of parts. Besides, an injection molded part would be too perfect. I prefer adding some hand crafted details. You can reach the smooth rounded corners by carefully heating the surface or some chemical vapors.

Last edited:

I completely disagree. If you realize how complicated it is and how many resources are needed to produce such a high quality product with that many various high quality finished metal and plastic parts, it's amazing if you even manage to keep it under $200. Of course it very much depends on quantity as well, but the Graflex flashgun shows how beautiful and well made these industrial designs from the past are. It shows quality that nowadays products hardly ever have. Imagine that these Graflexes we seek are often more than 70 years old and still look amazing.
That's why I salute Roman for his generous task of providing us with a true replica!

Speaking as an industrial designer, I can tell you that that you're wrong. The tooling is expensive, yes, but this is not such a complicated object that it would cost the same as a a watch or other electronics. Once you have the tooling, things get cheaper as you produce more, you're right, which is why it makes little sense to do a limited run on something like a graflex replica.

I understand the limitations of a small business, but this is something that will be in demand for YEARS! Especially with new movies coming out and more and more people becoming interested, and not settling for crap. Even Hasbro is upping their game with some of the things they make. Sure, maybe Roman doesn't have the space to stock thousands of them, but a Chinese company would. Product runs on this site are expensive because they are handmade and short runs. Like custom furniture. Man hours cost money and that makes sense. People are worth what they charge here because their work is great. Or they have a programable CNC mill and we pay for it's time. The long and short of it is that there is the option to make these for cheap and sell them for cheap, but people don't have the space or don't have the funds to place bulk orders that could bring the cost that low on this site. But a large Chinese company would, and they could. Just think of some something like a yapping robot dog. How many parts does that have? You can buy one in Chinatown right now for about $3. It has injection molded plastic, wires, circuit boards, lights, speakers, motors, gears, fabric, stuffing. These flash guns are WAY less complex then that.

As for the quality, they can make the same, or better quality. Our plastics are better, our machines are better, manufacturing is cheaper. You just wait and see how much of our crap will be around in 70 years looking exactly the same.

Sabs

Speaking as an industrial designer, I can tell you that that you're wrong. The tooling is expensive, yes, but this is not such a complicated object that it would cost the same as a a watch or other electronics. Once you have the tooling, things get cheaper as you produce more, you're right, which is why it makes little sense to do a limited run on something like a graflex replica.

Sabs

Funny, I am myself an industrial designer as well (in the Netherlands). I know what you're saying about low prices with large quantities and the limitations of small businesses. But I don't often see this type of heavy build products anymore as they used to make them. They're not very complicated indeed, but well constructed, solid and with superb galvanized finishes. I guess I just have grown more respect for these vintage products since I started this hobby especially compared to all the disposable stuff being produced nowadays. It would be interesting if some company would make thousands, but then wouldn't the magic disappear a bit? I guess I'm just being melancholic.

just my 2 cents worth, please don't flame me :)

but this is something that will be in demand for YEARS!

I wouldn't count on the average Joe knowing the difference between a Graflex and a bar of soap

case in point, a month ago, if you are on Facebook, then you would've notice that everyone was adding a lightsaber to their profile picture, and everyone was saying how excited they were about the new movie blah blah blah, so I posted a few photos of my unconverted Graflex & MPP on my account, and there wasn't a single blip from any of the "biggest fans" on my friends list.

as for manufacturing in China, from the stories I have heard from friends who are involved in importing various Chinese made goods, apparently (at least the larger manufacturers) are only interested in orders in multiple cargo container loads, my guess is there wouldn't that much demand for a plain Graflex in the short to medium term

OTOH, if we are talking about a well built and fully converted Graflex, in a nice presentation box with big Star Wars logos on it, at a reasonable price, you will probably sell ship loads of them

I just came back from TFA again. I managed to get a few shots.

The snow saber:

This saber has grips to the bottom and the T-tracks appear as tall as the are wide.

Maz Kanata:

This ones a little harder to tell but it looks to have smaller in height T-tracks and an 1/8th of an inch or so at the top and bottom.

The TR8R saber:

This appears to have the tall T-tracks ending at the bottom. Very straight cut at the top and bottom like a 90 degree cut. I think this is he snow saber as well.
Sorry for the crappy quality pics. I was trying to watch and shoot at the same time.

Funny, I am myself an industrial designer as well (in the Netherlands). I know what you're saying about low prices with large quantities and the limitations of small businesses. But I don't often see this type of heavy build products anymore as they used to make them. They're not very complicated indeed, but well constructed, solid and with superb galvanized finishes. I guess I just have grown more respect for these vintage products since I started this hobby especially compared to all the disposable stuff being produced nowadays. It would be interesting if some company would make thousands, but then wouldn't the magic disappear a bit? I guess I'm just being melancholic.

I have a dutch designer friend here in Copenhagen I went to school with. Small world.

Yes, it would loose some of the magic I guess. It's a simulacrum. A copy of a copy. Faux nostalgia. Of something we never actually experienced. But at the end of the day, unless you're getting an original graflex, it's going to be a reproduction. Now we both know that the larger the order the more likely the manufacturer will loosen tolerances and and the more likely they will lower the pressure in the injection moulds until they're JUST not getting dimples, so in a way you're right. Larger numbers could mean we loose some of that. But if you're hard on them they usually fix everything again. But I think you also don't see the heavy builds because we can make things lighter and cheaper now. 70 years ago this was the best they could do. We still depend on the weight of an object to determine it's value, which is why they put weights in iPhones, and in other light things like beats head phones.

Have you ever tried to pick up a Bang & Olufsen tv? or even the remote control? It's like they're made of lead.

I'm not sure galvanized is the finish you mean though. These things look chromed to me, or nickel plated, or just polished and clear coated, unless they're brass.

Sabs

Side note, What's canon now for how to turn on a light sabre? Finn and Rey clearly use the red button in TFA, but Luke uses the bubble strip in ANH, and thats how most light up sabers are activated too, correct?

Sabs

Side note, What's canon now for how to turn on a light sabre? Finn and Rey clearly use the red button in TFA, but Luke uses the bubble strip in ANH, and thats how most light up sabers are activated too, correct?

Sabs

Both.

Luke mainly uses the bubbles/circuit board but he does use a red button in the ESB cave scene.

I'm not sure galvanized is the finish you mean though. These things look chromed to me, or nickel plated, or just polished and clear coated, unless they're brass.

Sabs

With galvanized I did mean nickel and chrome plated (or a combination). Only recently when I started making the Kobold clips and the V2 clamp levers, did I deal with these processes directly myself. With every new batch I go to this small electroplating company in the Rotterdam harbour, where they do this amazing job of finishing the brass. I thoroughly enjoy going there. And they find it very cool knowing it's for Star Wars prop replicas!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back