*Bandai 1/72 Y Wing Fighter* DONE!! Official Photoshoot pending!

Scarecrow Joe

Sr Member
Ive been building more than usual these days preparing for the arrival of my Randy Cooper Sandcrawler. There are lots of these Y Wings floating around in the RPF. Its perhaps one of the best, more detailed kits from this company. Its also a bit more involved to build due to the amount of small, delicate, details. The amount of washes this one needs will be a new record from me! Anyways Ive realized I almost always post my work finished and thought I would post a few WIP images this time.

Here is how it looks when finished its basic building:

20180704_190408 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

Washes started. I broke a couple of those little tubes in the process but was able to glue them together again. The amount of details Bandai did for this one is incredible.

20180704_190408 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

I dremeled a few scratches and blasts to give it a more realistic look compatible with the official prop.

20180706_221156 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

20180706_221208 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

20180706_221118 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

A few from the cockpit. Pilot figure is decent, IMO. I added a few details but nothing crazy.

20180630_135328 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

20180630_135348 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

20180630_151434 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

20180630_151501 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

20180630_151521 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

20180630_160132 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

How it looks right now:

20180706_222114 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

20180706_222156 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

I definitively enjoying this one!

Last edited:
Re: WIP *Bandai 1/72 Y Wing Fighter* WIP

Very nicely done. I like the extra details on the cockpit as well. Getting ready for Yavin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice looking build so far . Thanks for sharing .
So , you built the kit then started with the washes directly onto the bare plastic ? .
You didn’t use a primer or clear coats of any kind at all ? If so , can I ask what your wash is made up from please , as I’d like to try this on my Bandai builds ?

:cheersGed

Nice looking build so far . Thanks for sharing .
So , you built the kit then started with the washes directly onto the bare plastic ? .
You didn’t use a primer or clear coats of any kind at all ? If so , can I ask what your wash is made up from please , as I’d like to try this on my Bandai builds ?

Exactly. I consider the bare, shiny plastic my basecoat. Here is my logic. In order to have a nice, uniform coverage with whatever wash you choose the steps usually are: primer, then your basecoat, then a shiny clear coat (like a Future coat) follow by your wash and possibly your decals, then a clear matte to seal everything and give you some grip for your weathering pastels, powders etc. Ive seen people here starting endless threads about how to match their basecoats to the original prop and almost always ending with a color or hue very similar to the original plastic color! Bandai has gone the extra mile providing colored plastic parts that are almost exact to the original prop, so why not taking advantage of this. Working on the shiny plastic surface and treating it like your basecoat plus shiny surface has worked fine for me. Washes flow like a dream over that surface and decals set fine. Same technique has been done for all my Bandai builds:

269A8986 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

269A1121 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

IMG_1898 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

IMG_5154 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

IMG_0739 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

A final word about how these hold after built? They seem to hold just fine. I always end up with matte a clear coat. Ive not seen any flaking, discoloration or staining on them. Hope this helps.

Looking good . It's a great kit and very detailed . I'm also using the Green Strawberry Photo etch kit for the extra detail for the instrument panels and the engine nacelles . Not only that but I'm lighting mine up with a kit from Tirydium that I have modified ( using 3 SMLEDs in the cockpit instead of fibre optics ) and using an Adafruit sound board for sound effects . I hope mine looks even half as good as yours . I have always loved the Y-Wing . Keep the pics coming.......

Link to my vid : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCDJ7lyiEFA . Still needs lots of work .

Last edited:

Thank you for your considered explanation . It’s much appreciated .
One final question if I may , what do your washes consist of - enamels , acrylics , oils or combinations of all , etc ... ? Have you used Tamiya’s line accent colours too ?

Thank you for your considered explanation . It’s much appreciated .
One final question if I may , what do your washes consist of - enamels , acrylics , oils or combinations of all , etc ... ? Have you used Tamiya’s line accent colours too ?

I use mainly Vallejo acrylics but I combine everything from oil, to weathering powders, and Tamiya weathering Masters line.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking good . It's a great kit and very detailed . I'm also using the Green Strawberry Photo etch kit for the extra detail for the instrument panels and the engine nacelles . Not only that but I'm lighting mine up with a kit from Tirydium that I have modified ( using 3 SMLEDs in the cockpit instead of fibre optics ) and using an Adafruit sound board for sound effects . I hope mine looks even half as good as yours . I have always loved the Y-Wing . Keep the pics coming.......

From what you are describing you're will be a superior build. Maybe I need to keep looking for your updates!! :thumbsup

Last edited:

Beautifully finished off Y - wing , congratulations again ! :p

Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the Sandcrawler ! ... can understand the ‘ surprise & smiley ‘ emojis , but why the ‘ sad ‘ one ?

The Y Wing still not finished! Weathering will now begin. The sad smilie?? How about the immense amount of work ahead to get that Sandcrawler built! LOL!

Wish I had some of your talented skills and experience to have that problem !:lol

Looks great

The one thing that bugs me about Bandai's engineering is that they separated the yellow stripe markings into separate pieces. This makes its edges look like panel lines when you add washes. I really wish they had just done the top and bottom from hull pieces as one piece and given decals for it instead

At least with the X-wings, the marking edges coincide with actual panel lines so it is easier to disguise

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back