Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Leonardo DiCaprio.

And I feel terrible about saying it because he's been in many top-notch films from the greatest Hollywood directors and it's apparent that he has an immense commitment to his craft and works harder than 99% of Hollywood... but he's never crossed into the pantheon or truly transcendent talents in my mind. He's never been terrible but he's never blown me away, either. He's starred in some really good films but don't think I've ever seen a film and said, "oh boy, this one's got DiCaprio in it ..." I won't say he doesn't deserve his success because he clearly works really hard. Is he a great actor I'm not appreciating? Or is he just a good actor who made all the right moves in Hollywood to have friends in the right places to get where he's at? (e.g. I recall he was able to get Spielberg to do Catch Me If You Can only because he did the director a big a favor by hanging out with Spielberg's daughter who was a fangirl over Titanic.)

He's one of those actors who (IMO) just shows up and reads lines.
He reads them well, no doubt, but I'm always aware I'm watching Leo DiCaprio.
He doesn't disappear into roles like (IMO) better actors do.
He used to be very good...
I thought he was great in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and "The Basketball Diaries".
Those were the last films he truly acted in, though (IMO).

I thought he was really great in Wolf of Wallstreet and the Revenant. This Boys Life was good too. IMO...
While he’s been in films I consider great, it’s never his performance a part of what makes it great. DeNiro was integral to the character of Raging Bull and made it great. Harrison Ford made Raiders of the Lost Ark great. Both films would have been fine works in their own right but were made legendary by the lead actor. I can’t say DiCaprio has ever done that for a film in my mind. And it’s not for lack of opportunity because he’s worked with everybody.

True to point . I can't compare DiNiro and Ford though. Two totally different kinds of actors IMO.
DiCaprio is well on his way to being very well rounded. He can't be typecast as his range in films as its off the hook. He's more like a DiNero. Ford will always be Indiana or Solo...
I like everything Mark Walberg does too, maybe it's just me.

True to point . I can't compare DiNiro and Ford though. Two totally different kinds of actors IMO.
DiCaprio is well on his way to being very well rounded. He can't be typecast as his range in films as its off the hook. He's more like a DiNero. Ford will always be Indiana or Solo...
I like everything Mark Walberg does too, maybe it's just me.
I guess I'm holding DiCaprio to a higher standard.

Remember, DiCaprio managed to work with Spielberg, Eastwood, Woody Allen, Ridley Scott, James Cameron, Christopher Nolan, Quentin Tarantino twice and multiple Scorsese films ...

Any actor would shoot their mom to be directed by any one of those guys once.

I don't think Wahlberg's worked with any of them. But at least he makes a tasty burger.

Last edited:
Back on topic. A 90 pound female taking out 200+ males like they are rag dolls... Impossible.

The correct key is never found in time for a vehicle...

Guns... 15 round magazines have 30!!

Leonardo DiCaprio...
I mentioned DiCaprio way back in post #783:

I'd like to add Tom Cruise, Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Cruise, Will Ferrell, Tom Cruise, and Leonardo DiCaprio to that list.

I don't think he's a horrible actor, but as has been said he doesn't have the ability to disappear into his characters the way some actors can; I never forget I'm watching Leonardo DiCaprio regardless of the role.

I still can't think of a bad Wahlberg film.
Planet of the Apes (2001), Rock Star (2001), The Other Guys (2010)...

:D

Two actors I'm tired of seeing, Melissa McCarthy and Dwayne Johnson. The Rock has been in three movies that I can name this year, and it's only June, that's one movie every other month. Melissa McCarthy is in every other movie made, and none of them are any good. I get it, she's the antithesis of the stereotype hero female. These aren't the films you're looking for, move along.

I haven't read anywhere near the entire thread, so most of my gripes have likely been mentioned several times over. Mostly military gaffs and gun related gaffs.

Love Rock Star!!!!! The voice of Miljenko Matijevic!! Steelheart!

Watched them live at the American theater in St. Louis back in the day. My friends and I all said there was no way he could sing like he did on the album. We were so wrong. Amazing vocals live.

Other than Boogie Nights I think Rock Star is Walhberg's best film. I love that movie! STEEL DRAGON RULES!!!!

Can't remember if it's been mentioned, but heroes and characters that always somehow find front row parking, in front of the building they intend to go in, right in the middle of downtown whatever bustling city they're in - Chicago, NYC, etc. Because there's always going to be an empty spot just waiting, right?

Rebel Wilson, in every film I've ever seen her in she plays the exact same annoying character. The token obnoxious and funny fat girl. It's like her entire purpose in a film is to be the brunt of every fat joke. She's essentially made a career out of playing a one-dimensional stereotype.

Rebel Wilson, in every film I've ever seen her in she plays the exact same annoying character. The token obnoxious and funny fat girl. It's like her entire purpose in a film is to be the brunt of every fat joke. She's essentially made a career out of playing a one-dimensional stereotype.
After reviewing her page on IMDb I can honestly say I've only seen two movies she's been in--Ghost Rider, and Bridesmaids--and don't remember her from either one.

That said, I wish someone would pay me to play the same character in various movies. I'd only work long enough to earn enough money to retire on, then youse guys would never see me again. :D

Love Rock Star!!!!! The voice of Miljenko Matijevic!! Steelheart!

Watched them live at the American theater in St. Louis back in the day. My friends and I all said there was no way he could sing like he did on the album. We were so wrong. Amazing vocals live.

Did some drinking with Miljenko back in the mid 90's. His guitarist broke his hand like 2 hours before showtime so they did a number of songs using nothing but bass, drums and piano. Very personable guy, EPIC live voice...We had a bunch of laughs.

Can't remember if it's been mentioned, but heroes and characters that always somehow find front row parking, in front of the building they intend to go in, right in the middle of downtown whatever bustling city they're in - Chicago, NYC, etc. Because there's always going to be an empty spot just waiting, right?

This happens more than not for me personally... it's why my wife likes it when I go grocery shopping with her - the spaces are just there for me. Even during high traffic times such as holiday shopping or summer barbecue season.

Also on the car front - People being chased by cars. I understand drawing scenes out, but good lord how long does it take a car at full acceleration tilt take to overrun an average man or woman trying to run down an alley (or wherever)?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back