Sorcerers Stone WIP

Re: My sorcerers stone..

Someone else on the RPF made them about 7 or 8 years ago, it may have been longer but I got mine around 2012 or so, but I can't remember who it was. They came wrapped in brown paper and tied with string just like you see it in the vault before Hagrid picks it up.

May be thinking of juno. I had one of those back in the day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Didn't get much work done on this as of the past couple days. Have had some limiting factors such as excessive work hours and some damages to the car and house from our nice ice-storm last week :(. Added more clay to the back side today and will continue shaping tomorrow and Friday :$

But how would you make it look kinda see through like a gem or crystal or whatever it is.

I wonder if there is a gem or crystal similar out there. But it' probably be expensive.

I wonder if it's some kind of plastic that looks like a gem stone.

And no offense looks cool

Was just wondering

But how would you make it look kinda see through like a gem or crystal or whatever it is.

I wonder if there is a gem or crystal similar out there. But it' probably be expensive.

I wonder if it's some kind of plastic that looks like a gem stone.

And no offense looks cool

Was just wondering

None taken:$. So the basic idea behind this is I am currently sculpting a master to make a mold of later. Once the mold is created I will then cast them in red/clear resin to make it look like what is seen in the film. Same method I use to make my cross of Coronado, my Ra headpieces, R2 holoprojectors, etc. It's fun, and reasonably simple to do but can be very time consuming and sometimes aggravating. I have an idea you all might like though so stay tuned ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, that is the one. I knew the name started with a j but could not remember what it was.

Glad you found who you were talking about! Juno's looked great! Same idea I'm going for with this one.. selling a piece people will talk about years later :)

Last edited:

More shaping done today.. at a point where I'm pretty happy with the final shape and the weathering added to it. Opinions welcome :D
LQEG2zL.jpg

EwCEVqy.jpg

The white parts of the stone that you see in the Nobel stone are raised above the surface of the red crystal. I don't see that in your sculpt.

Or are you going to add that later?

The white parts of the stone that you see in the Nobel stone are raised above the surface of the red crystal. I don't see that in your sculpt.

Or are you going to add that later?

Those are there to simulate the chipping on the corners of the stone. I have a good idea on how to add this to the stone but to keep it unique with every stone (texture and pattern wise) it will not be cast into each stone, but will be manually added after each stone is cast individually. Will post more on that later as I get a few decent casts out :$

Any additional thoughts on a specific shade of red, or a type of resin someone would like me to experiment with? The first few casts will all be tests with different materials, pigments, etc :$

Dunno if this is helpful, but here's a photo I took of the one displayed at Warner Bros Studios in UK.

IMG_9157.jpg

Dunno if this is helpful, but here's a photo I took of the one displayed at Warner Bros Studios in UK.

View attachment 800449

I read the story that goes with the prop you're showing, and I think I see the problem.
The story says that they just found a piece of red quartz laying around and molded it and then cast copies to use in the movie.
Thus, THIS is the original piece of red quartz. It is NOT screen used.
The copies that were cast had added detail such as the WHITE stone visible in the screen shots. The ones with the white stone were screen used.

Based on the photo that Chris posted, I've concluded that the corner I thought was "dipped" is actually chipped off and covered up with the white residue added to the screen used props... Hmm.. that means that it was probably added manually which makes more sense for a quick-make prop rather than making 4 or 5 different molds for stones that all have the same origin with only slight differences.

:behave Why couldn't they have just stayed with straight copies ? Why'd they have to make things difficult ?

Because the film industry is complicated like that lol.. or for that fact less complicated.. if they used the same method I am considering using for mine it makes thing alot simpler on the maker and less time consuming that touching up the white sections of the stone after they come out of the mold. In all honesty it isn't seen as much in the film as one might think... Went back and watched the film last night... They talk about it more than they show it so I figure they probably just needed a few for different scenes (hero, stunt A, stunt B) and probably one or two rubber ones as well in case they were dropped :)

I read the story that goes with the prop you're showing, and I think I see the problem.
The story says that they just found a piece of red quartz laying around and molded it and then cast copies to use in the movie.
Thus, THIS is the original piece of red quartz. It is NOT screen used.
The copies that were cast had added detail such as the WHITE stone visible in the screen shots. The ones with the white stone were screen used.

Or alternatively the prop in this picture was one of the cast stones which hadn't gone through the cosmetic alterations that the others presumably did.

Or alternatively the prop in this picture was one of the cast stones which hadn't gone through the cosmetic alterations that the others presumably did.

This is what I figure is most likely to be the case.. the color is pretty spot on in this stone with the one in the scene where Harry falls on the stairs.. just needs to have the chipped effect added to it :$

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back