Help needed. Korosensei (Assassination Classroom) "Absolute Defense Form"

barkingbeagle

Hi everybody,

it's always nice to have a few props when you are an large cosplayer group. For 2017 we are aiming for a big group of "Assassination Classroom" cosplayers.

Korosensei Absolute Defense Form is basically - to break it down - a yellow ball with a face painted on encapsulated in a crystal clear sphere (see picture attached)

Basic concept is for doing this:
1) Make two sphere molds
2) Cast the smaller yelllow ball
3) paint it
4) Cast the crystal clear orb and encapsulate the yellow ball

I think, I didn't miss anything here.

For the 2 molds i wanted to go with MoldMax 30. Casting the yellow sphere with Smooth-Cast 310 tinted with yellow and doing the crystal sphere with Crystal Clear from Smooth-On.

I'm a little bit uncertain about the whole process/prop. It's quite a big project. I have already done some little casts with SC310 in a MM30 Mold. But this Prop is on different Level.

Do I miss something ? Is there any stumbling stone in the way to succedd with this prop?

Thank you very much guys

Best regards
barkingbeagle

12353237_644004482406448_534220143_n.jpg

It is hard to cast clear resin without getting bubbles. You would need a compressor and a vacuum chamber (or is it pressure chamber? I forget)
You would also need to find a way to suspend the yellow sphere in the centre of the clear sphere while casting or cast it as two half-spheres.

I would instead look into building it from clear plastic half-spheres. Suspend the inner sphere in the middle with an acrylic rod or a couple of fishing lines.

I have had luck embedding things in polyester resin. Polyester resin can gel before curing. While in the gel state, you can set your piece to be embedded on/in the gel, and then continue filling. I tried the process back in college, almost 10 years ago. I was really pleased with the results. It may worth looking into.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back