From Slough UK to Scranton PA: which Office do you prefer?

The Wook

Master Member
I watched the American version of The Office probably 3 times all the way through, beginning back when it first aired. After my first viewing of the 9-season series, I watched the 2-season British version. And then watched the British version a second time through, just in the last few months.

Well, it got me to thinking. I love them both. But I wonder, is the American version popular in the UK? There are many similarities, but also many differences. It's actually quite a fascinating study to watch the first episode or two of each version, as they are nearly identical in script and story--ya know, to see the differences between British and American comedic styles, init? Right, yeah, when seen performing, that is, the same material, vis-a-vis, the written, comedic...word, right, yeah. Init?

Lol...sorry, had to sneak a little David Brent into my post. But no, I really am curious how you blokes abroad, and the Land Down Under, Kiwis, etc., feel about the two versions. (I keep using the word versions instead of series, because I know you Brits use the series to mean season. So just to keep things straight, please say season or version when you post.)

Are there parts of the American version you don't fancy? Are there characters that fall flat? The American version has over 200 episodes, and the British version just 14, so a lot more characters were added to the American version, than had no counterpart in the British version it was based on.

What's your twopence?

The Wook

ps~To my fellow Yanks, if you feel inspired by this thread to watch the British version, I highly recommend you do so with subtitles. Lol It'll halve the number of times you have to rewind. Lmao What did George Bernard Shaw say? "Two nations divided by a common language.".

I saw the British version first and LOVED it-- so when the American version came out and it's first few episodes were essentially remakes, I felt like it was a knock off, and I really didn't like it. I left it, but came back to it later and once they weren't afraid to do their own thing, and clearly set themselves apart, I started to really enjoy it as it's own thing.

It's sort of like an Office shared universe, I feel like they actually compliment each other at the end of the day.

That said, UK sensibilities say its okay to just do a short run of a show and be done, where as the US way is to run it until it's cataleptic. Like all great American sitcoms, i think the US Office went one or two seasons too long. Still gems in those last years, but the ingenuity was gone.

...how's my OIQ?

I saw the British version first and LOVED it-- so when the American version came out and it's first few episodes were essentially remakes, I felt like it was a knock off, and I really didn't like it. I left it, but came back to it later and once they weren't afraid to do their own thing, and clearly set themselves apart, I started to really enjoy it as it's own thing.

It's sort of like an Office shared universe, I feel like they actually compliment each other at the end of the day.

That said, UK sensibilities say its okay to just do a short run of a show and be done, where as the US way is to run it until it's cataleptic. Like all great American sitcoms, i think the US Office went one or two seasons too long. Still gems in those last years, but the ingenuity was gone.

...how's my OIQ?

Lol...so far so good.

I think season 9 rebounded very nicely after a poorly written and boring 8th season. Seasons 1-7 were all great.

The Wook

AFAIK, the US version never screened on UK network TV. If it did, it would have have been on one of the channels that nobody really watches. Nearly all US shows are on cable (or Netflix, these days).

So the simple answer is no, it was not popular over here.

AFAIK, the US version never screened on UK network TV. If it did, it would have have been on one of the channels that nobody really watches. Nearly all US shows are on cable (or Netflix, these days).

So the simple answer is no, it was not popular over here.

But what about now? That's what I meant. I meant once it became widely accessible to Brits, via Netflix, and whatnot.

And while you're at it, Birdie, how 'bout your opinion?

I think The Office (US) seasons 2-5 are pretty much gold. It's kind of a fairy tale, though, especially as things progress in the later seasons. The Office (UK) is fantastic, and feels all too real lol. I love both for different reasons. I actually just wrapped up a full re-watch of both as well. Weird!

The UK Office ftw. Been a fan of Gervais and Merchant ever since (and Pilkington as well). Saw the Brent special last year and thought it was just ok, possibly because of the non-involvement of Merchant who I suspect injected most of the humor in the series and kept Gervais from overdoing Brent.

The only episode I've seen is the pilot, when they were following the UK version pretty closely. Brits tend to be pretty cynical in regard to US remakes of our shows, largely because they tend to be pretty bad (Life on Mars, Inbetweeners, Skins etc). From what I understand, the US Office didn't pick up until it stopped following the original and firmly established its own identity.

I'm not really a big follower of sitcoms unless they have a certain kind of 'out there' humour like IT Crowd, Spaced, Father Ted, League of Gentlemen etc. I tried to get into Arrested Development following all the hype, but I just didn't get it. I should probably give the US Office another go, but you guys insist on making so many episodes :lol

But what about now? That's what I meant. I meant once it became widely accessible to Brits, via Netflix, and whatnot.

And while you're at it, Birdie, how 'bout your opinion?

The UK series is the only version for me

Not keen on re-makes

In UK we say a TV series,....the series is broken up each year,....series one,...series two etc,...no need to name it anything else
Saying Season confuses me as in UK we have four seasons a year:D

J

If you're a fan of the UK Office, you should definitely give Extras a try. Stephen Merchant's solo HBO venture "Hello Ladies" is also a fun watch. I'll give Gervais' "Derek" a pass though.

Office UK is much leaner and packed to the brim with pure cringe. I’m no anglophile but, as good as the US version is, the UK Office is more cutting, bawdy and simply better.

+1 on Extras which, in the first episode, has Kate Winslet playing herself with the immortal line, “I’d love it if you stuck your Willy Wonka between my Oompa-Loompas!” Pure gold.

Or the Patrick Stewart episode of Extras:

Last edited by a moderator:
Also,...Life's too Short,....starring Warwick Davis.....Big Liam wants to do comedy:

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there parts of the American version you don't fancy? Are there characters that fall flat? The American version has over 200 episodes, and the British version just 14, so a lot more characters were added to the American version, than had no counterpart in the British version it was based on.
There may have been only 14 episodes but they pack a lot more material into each episode.

Ha...I guess all the Brits are bed-ways about now. Gettin' a bit of spatchka, right, right??

I have no idea what you just said! :)

So im a UK viewer of both versions. i loved the UK office. When i first watched the US version the first few epsiodes were hard to watch. Once they started to do their own thing i was really on board with it, and in the long run i found the US version a lot better. I think the UK version done all it could do and was happy for it to finish how it did. David Brent was nowhere near as good as michael scott. in my opinion.

The US version was first shown in the UK on a channel that wasnt very popular at the time, im not sure but it might have been on a channel at the time that would have to be part of a extra subscription. it was a long time ago now and i cant remember.

Also i think the UK now has about a 50/50 split with who says season or series. well at least with people i know, actual most people i know says season.

I have no idea what you just said! :)
It’s from A Clockwork Orange. Scene is the milk bar where Alex whacks Dim with a cane for interrupting a woman singing Schiller’s An Die Freude with a loud raspberry. Dim protests until he’s stared down by Alex who says he’ll meet him with “chain or nozh or britva anytime.” Dim backs down and says, “Doobidoob. A bit tired, maybe. Best not to say more. Bedways is rightways, so best we go homeways and get a bit of spatchka. Right, right?”

I was really into that film in High School.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back