Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

Since we're tossing ideas for EP 9...

Rey saved the Jedi texts / scrolls so she will be doing some serious homework in between 8 and 9. Luke is not dead. He will return as a Force Ghost to help guide Rey and even torture/taunt Kylo hoping to bring him back to the good side (although he would have to stand trial for all his crimes).

Rey will NOT have started a new academy. I think she will be helping build a New Republic while searching those strong with the Force. The fact that the entire Resistance fit in the hull of the MF is quite telling. Somehow, Kylo will escape the ST only to return much darker and more evil than Vader and the Emperor combined UNLESS Kylo follows the tradition of taking an apprentice?

JEEEZ... TLJ really messed with how this should play out! LOL

A new trilogy will emerge with Rey as the Master of the "New" Jedi Order. After his escape Kylo will fade away from memory only to return later after his rise to power with the dark side of the Force. This new threat will put Rey and the New Republic to the test, again, BUT instead of an all powerful planet killer it will be star systems taking sides and battling it out with each other where it is brought further to light that the financiers are the true enemy of the galaxy (per TLJ). But the big reveal comes in Ep 11 when Kylo tells Rey they are cousins and that she is in fact Skywalker ;)

I dunno...

Who knows... I was totally wrong with TLJ!

Last edited:
There isn't anything they HAVE to do in IX. That's extremely problematic for a trilogy. There's supposed to be an over arching story that completes in the third act. There's nothing left open for the third act.

There was NO cliffhanger. Unless the fact that entire Resistance fit in the hull of the MF and we now see them rebuilding? But we saw that at the end of Jedi - or at least it was implied.

The idea of the Jedi being the "guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy" would naturally lend itself to ending slavery. I mean it IS one of the worst injustices in the world, no?

I just felt like the whole Canto Bight sequence was totally unnecessary and didn't move the story forward.

Well I think we are all in agreement that there is no real good way to conclude the trilogy out. I mean TLJ sort wrapped it all up, no?

Last edited:
I read an interview with Daisy Ridley in which she stated that she has no intention of playing the character of Rey after Episode 9.

Of course, she could always change her mind later.

I respect that decision. But if the story is good it doesn't make sense to be closed off to the idea this early in the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I think we are all in agreement that there is no real good way to conclude the trilogy out. I mean TLJ sort wrapped it all up, no?

I agree. I'm not sure how they move forward from here. There was no cliffhanger, no big reveal, no "uh oh" moment. I'm totally lost.

I respect that decision. But if the story is good it doesn't make sense to be closed off to the idea this early in the game.

I agree. My guess is that filming these 3 movies in sort of a back-to-back fashion is tiring for her. I can understand anyone saying they don't want to do that again. However, time tends to make one forget the pains. Hopefully, Lucasfilm will focus on the anthology films and the new RJ trilogy before they return to the numbered saga. Maybe by then, Daisey will be willing to reprise the role. I like the character of Rey.

I also would like to see an Ahsoka movie.

I'm no great fan of TLJ, but there was a cliffhanger really. The resistance has been reduced to a dozen people and the FO is bigger than anyone thought and will have taken control of much of the galaxy within weeks (in the words if Rey). So now they have to gather forces and take back the galaxy in IX. Which is one of my major problems with this trilogy: it's literally the exact same story as the OT, only the details are different. I wanted to see something new, not just a rehash of the OT.

I'm no great fan of TLJ, but there was a cliffhanger really. The resistance has been reduced to a dozen people and the FO is bigger than anyone thought and will have taken control of much of the galaxy within weeks (in the words if Rey). So now they have to gather forces and take back the galaxy in IX. Which is one of my major problems with this trilogy: it's literally the exact same story as the OT, only the details are different. I wanted to see something new, not just a rehash of the OT.

Yes indeed The main gripe about TFA was that it mimicked ANH.....& with TLJ we got a movie that mimicked & mocked ESB & ROTJ,....Walkers on a white planet....Jedi training with a reluctant Jedi master in hiding, entering a Dark Side cave to find your destiny,....its just a 2017 remix

J

Is that compelling though? If they stopped with 8, would you be upset you didn't get to see that? It's not really a 2 hour story. The group we have isn't taking back a galaxy in 2 hours unless they're right on the cusp of it when it starts...1 more planet and the galaxy is ours again! that you can do in 2 hours. Otherwise it's just a series ore resistance people winning battles over and over until we focus on the last one. You can't start at the end either as it'd be unearned really in the eyes of the viewer.

if the son of darth vader himself failed with his own jedi academy, then how could rey be successful at it? So she can teach the broom kid what? How to lift rocks? That whole ending with the kids was so ****ing dumb.

The thing that gets me too is why would rian johnson introduce the jedi books if yoda said "page turners they were not." then there was literally no point in even having them in the movie. Luke didn't even read them. It was a useless idea. Assuming rey can even read them because who says they are in a language she even knows, there will be nothing to learn from them. They might as well have burned in the tree.

And then there is the matter of luke himself. They just threw away everything he went through in the original trilogy and made him a bitter old man. Not a hero. A real hero would have gotten off his ass and showed up in person to fix his mistakes. He died a coward by dying alone on that island. Mark hamill and luke skywalker both deserved better than that.

This is why i hate this movie so ****ing much! And while it wasn't rian johnson's fault for making movie after movie that disappointed, i can say with confidence that his movie was what killed star wars for me. So that same guy is now making his own trilogy. Why the **** would i want to see those? So he can continue to **** on something i love?

I know people could say to me, then why are you bitching about it on a forum if you don't care anymore. The problem is that i care too much. I've been a fan my whole life and that story was an insult to my fandom. Not because it tried new things but because it plainly said to the fans that they don't matter. The characters you aspire to are no better than you and me and themes that have made this series as relevant today as it did 40 years ago aren't important anymore. We need heroes to look up to. To show us that we need to think about things greater than ourselves. Star wars gave that to a lot of people. These movies were supposed to inspire young people.

What message will these new movies tell the next generation?

Will it teach them that they already know everything and that they don't have to work for it? (rey's lack of training and non existent struggle with the force.)

will it teach them that despite everything you do, in the end you will die bitter and alone? (luke's failure with ben.)

will it teach them that it's better to serve yourself than to die for the greater good? (rose stopping finn from sacrificing himself to save the resistance.)

sadly many people in this world don't have a moral compass to guide them through life and so they derive it from pop culture. Luckily i was raised by a good family who very frankly taught me right from wrong, but in star wars i had a vivid example that inspired me to follow that compass that had been instilled in me by my parents. It had clearly defined heroes who knew right from wrong and inspired me to do great things. Star wars sparked me to write my novel and learn new skills that have given me the opportunity to meet people from all over the world. I've made some wonderful friendships and have a community of like minded people because of it.

It breaks my heart to see all of that thrown away with contempt in favor of a new paradigm where moral ambiguity is more important than doing what is right. That's the real reason why so many fans are upset about the direction this whole thing is going.

So episode 9? Why does it really matter anymore?

amen brother amen!

JJ sounds much more sanguine then some of you in an interview view about Cloverfield Paradox the other day..

Abrams has been working hard on the upcoming ninth episode of Star Wars, having taken over from Colin Trevorrow as director. Asked whether he’s excited about returning to the directors chair — having previously helmed The Force Awakens — Abrams said: “Very much. I’m actually going to be leaving this room and going right there. I can’t wait for you to see what we’re doing.”Asked by The Independent about how much of Trevorrow’s vision had been kept, Abrams remained tight-lipped, saying: “We should keep it on Cloverfield.”

Last edited by a moderator:
If the son of Darth Vader himself failed with his own Jedi Academy, then how could Rey be successful at it? So she can teach the broom kid what? How to lift rocks? That whole ending with the kids was so ****ing dumb.

The thing that gets me too is why would Rian Johnson introduce the Jedi Books if Yoda said "page turners they were not." Then there was literally no point in even having them in the movie. Luke didn't even read them. It was a useless idea. Assuming Rey can even read them because who says they are in a language she even knows, there will be nothing to learn from them. They might as well have burned in the tree.

And then there is the matter of Luke himself. They just threw away everything he went through in the original trilogy and made him a bitter old man. Not a hero. A real hero would have gotten off his ass and showed up in person to fix his mistakes. He died a coward by dying alone on that island. Mark Hamill and Luke Skywalker both deserved better than that.

This is why I hate this movie so ****ing much! And while it wasn't Rian Johnson's fault for making movie after movie that disappointed, I can say with confidence that his movie was what killed Star Wars for me. So that same guy is now making his own trilogy. Why the **** would I want to see those? So he can continue to **** on something I love?

I know people could say to me, then why are you bitching about it on a forum if you don't care anymore. The problem is that I care too much. I've been a fan my whole life and that story was an insult to my fandom. Not because it tried new things but because it plainly said to the fans that they don't matter. The characters you aspire to are no better than you and me and themes that have made this series as relevant today as it did 40 years ago aren't important anymore. We need heroes to look up to. To show us that we need to think about things greater than ourselves. Star Wars gave that to a lot of people. These movies were supposed to inspire young people.

Will it teach them that they already know everything and that they don't have to work for it? (Rey's lack of training and non existent struggle with the Force.)

Will it teach them that despite everything you do, in the end you will die bitter and alone? (Luke's failure with Ben.)

Will it teach them that it's better to serve yourself than to die for the greater good? (Rose stopping Finn from sacrificing himself to save the Resistance.)

Sadly many people in this world don't have a moral compass to guide them through life and so they derive it from pop culture. Luckily I was raised by a good family who very frankly taught me right from wrong, but in Star Wars I had a vivid example that inspired me to follow that compass that had been instilled in me by my parents. It had clearly defined heroes who knew right from wrong and inspired me to do great things. Star Wars sparked me to write my novel and learn new skills that have given me the opportunity to meet people from all over the world. I've made some wonderful friendships and have a community of like minded people because of it.

It breaks my heart to see all of that thrown away with contempt in favor of a new paradigm where moral ambiguity is more important than doing what is right. That's the REAL reason why so many fans are upset about the direction this whole thing is going.

So Episode 9? Why does it really matter anymore?

Forget liking. This posts deserves a standing slow-clap with misty eyes. So very well said.

If the son of Darth Vader himself failed with his own Jedi Academy, then how could Rey be successful at it? So she can teach the broom kid what? How to lift rocks? That whole ending with the kids was so ****ing dumb.

The thing that gets me too is why would Rian Johnson introduce the Jedi Books if Yoda said "page turners they were not." Then there was literally no point in even having them in the movie. Luke didn't even read them. It was a useless idea. Assuming Rey can even read them because who says they are in a language she even knows, there will be nothing to learn from them. They might as well have burned in the tree.

And then there is the matter of Luke himself. They just threw away everything he went through in the original trilogy and made him a bitter old man. Not a hero. A real hero would have gotten off his ass and showed up in person to fix his mistakes. He died a coward by dying alone on that island. Mark Hamill and Luke Skywalker both deserved better than that.

This is why I hate this movie so ****ing much! And while it wasn't Rian Johnson's fault for making movie after movie that disappointed, I can say with confidence that his movie was what killed Star Wars for me. So that same guy is now making his own trilogy. Why the **** would I want to see those? So he can continue to **** on something I love?

I know people could say to me, then why are you bitching about it on a forum if you don't care anymore. The problem is that I care too much. I've been a fan my whole life and that story was an insult to my fandom. Not because it tried new things but because it plainly said to the fans that they don't matter. The characters you aspire to are no better than you and me and themes that have made this series as relevant today as it did 40 years ago aren't important anymore. We need heroes to look up to. To show us that we need to think about things greater than ourselves. Star Wars gave that to a lot of people. These movies were supposed to inspire young people.

Will it teach them that they already know everything and that they don't have to work for it? (Rey's lack of training and non existent struggle with the Force.)

Will it teach them that despite everything you do, in the end you will die bitter and alone? (Luke's failure with Ben.)

Will it teach them that it's better to serve yourself than to die for the greater good? (Rose stopping Finn from sacrificing himself to save the Resistance.)

Sadly many people in this world don't have a moral compass to guide them through life and so they derive it from pop culture. Luckily I was raised by a good family who very frankly taught me right from wrong, but in Star Wars I had a vivid example that inspired me to follow that compass that had been instilled in me by my parents. It had clearly defined heroes who knew right from wrong and inspired me to do great things. Star Wars sparked me to write my novel and learn new skills that have given me the opportunity to meet people from all over the world. I've made some wonderful friendships and have a community of like minded people because of it.

It breaks my heart to see all of that thrown away with contempt in favor of a new paradigm where moral ambiguity is more important than doing what is right. That's the REAL reason why so many fans are upset about the direction this whole thing is going.

So Episode 9? Why does it really matter anymore?

I disagree at pretty much every turn here, and part of me wants to say you're being a crybaby fanboy... by then I remember that this is pretty much exactly how I felt after Attack of the Clones came out. So I respect your feelings even if I disagree with them.

But we're both guilty of the same thing-- we see Star Wars being a certain thing, and are emotionally invested in it. So somebody's else's take has a high chance of feeling wrong. Star Wars is so big and universal and in so many different mediums, we've reached a point in which it is impossible to please a majority.

I agree with you that Star Wars is so open ended in that it can be interpreted in many different ways and I respect that people have opinions about the series that are different from mine. In fact I wouldn't disrespect someone for loving the film's that I hate. I just have a different opinion.

I guess my rants are more a way for me to process my frustration and disappointment and move on with my life. I think it took me this long to truly articulate into words how I felt about the whole thing.

It's also a turning point in my life as corny as that may sound, in that I'm getting to a point where I can let this series go and try my best to not get so wrapped up in my expectations for it. I'll always have the films I grew up with. Everything else is just filler.

It's just hard to process sometimes because when you're passionate about something you get defensive. I know outsiders would say that it's just fanboy whining, but it's no different than when a football fan looses their cool when their favorite team loses the superbowl.

The thing that gets me so riled is a shift in the culture as a whole that I see clearly reflected in the art of our day and it's not a good thing. But alas that's a different discussion so I won't elaborate on it.

But we're both guilty of the same thing-- we see Star Wars being a certain thing, and are emotionally invested in it. So somebody's else's take has a high chance of feeling wrong. Star Wars is so big and universal and in so many different mediums, we've reached a point in which it is impossible to please a majority.

There were obvious better choices that would have been more universally accepted.

Episode IX can go anywhere. I don't think they are boxed in. Why? Well, allow me to explain...

TLJ was bad. ***here's the part where people who loved TLJ sigh***

Terribly bad. Because it used tricks that no one in their right mind would accept in a movie. But, since it was labelled "Star Wars", as many sharks were jumped as possible.

There are plenty of directions the next movie can go, because they are "Killing the past." Disney wants the Star Wars name brand recognition, they want the $$$, but they don't want the negative for churning out broken storytelling. Gee, an orphan saving the world...but it's Star Wars!!!

Don't believe me? Look at how many explanations have been put out by the director. Science doesn't matter...it DOES matter...science Doesn't...canon is tossed aside...oh wait, this was mentioned in a book from 20 years ago...MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!

And the fleet of people defending the movie, creating false arguments for others, doesn't help. You are outnumbered by the people who's vote and post negatively (and some were deleted).

I just wanted to be entertained, instead I got slapped in the face with prank calls or flying in space or ...the list of failures is HUGE, but it doesn't matter if you liked it.

We also know that The First Order doesn't effect everyone. Both sides are incompetent. Rey masters everything. Kylo can't make up his mind...LIMITLESS!!!

So, they can take it anywhere they want. Make episode IX where Kylo gets pregnant, meanwhile Rey convinces storm troopers to hold their guns backwards and shoot themselves, Porgs have kyber crystals inside them, Yoda writes a Broadway musical, more hypserspace vehicles bypassing shields. It doesn't matter, because some people will rush to defend it no matter how terrible.

I remember when the first Star Wars came out. Critics trashed it initially, then came back proclaiming, "it's a western in space!" Nowadays people are going to love episode IX no matter what happens, so, swing away! Aim for the fence! Try not to hit the shark.

Last edited:
There were obvious better choices that would have been more universally accepted.

I'd agree with that, for sure... but I also think those choices would have been safe. And safe doesn't always work for making a standout product.

At the bare minimum, a good chunk of fandom was already mad and out with the EU being made apocryphal.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back