Solo: A Star Wars Story

I'm curious , perhaps Bryancd can answer this.

Am I right in thinking that the bulk of the cost of making the movie ( seeing as Disney owns Lucasfilm) is a hugely reduced issue in the total profitablity of the film? Which is why all these concerns about the huge budget overstretches in reshooting Rogue One and Solo are not anything to worry about,simply because they are in effective paying themselves to make the movies they are releasing?

I'm curious , perhaps Bryancd can answer this.

Am I right in thinking that the bulk of the cost of making the movie ( seeing as Disney owns Lucasfilm) is a hugely reduced issue in the total profitablity of the film? Which is why all these concerns about the huge budget overstretches in reshooting Rogue One and Solo are not anything to worry about,simply because they are in effective paying themselves to make the movies they are releasing?

Insofar that Lucasfilm is a wholly owned subsidiary of Disney, all of Lucasfilm profit and loss flows through Disney’s balance sheet. Lucasfilm operates independently in regards to budgeting, so if R1 or Solo come in over budget and that effects net profitability that directly hits Disney’s bottom line as Lucasfilm doesn’t have independent financial disclosure. So does it matter? Yes, it’s a pass through but still has an economic impact. It’s not Disney paying for the production, it’s LF. Does that go somewhat towards answering your question or have I made a hash of it? :)

It it is true their are economics of scale overall that can help keep film production costs in general down with Disney properties making so many live action films per year.

Rumor has it that Solo reshoots will start shortly and will last about 3 weeks. This is most likely the planned for smaller, pick up shots and not expected to be anything big - just stuff that may have been overlooked or missed during the first much larger scale "reshoot."

Yes, and I heard that they're bringing in a semi-emergency acting coach for Alden for this new round of reshoots. But not to worry, it's nothing like the FULL-ON MAJOR CRISIS THE STAR OF OUR MOVIE CAN'T ACT EMERGENCY acting coach they brought in for him on the last round of reshoots.

Sure, but you'll have to share the rung with Bryan. (j/k Bryan.)

You are KK's perfect fanboy.

But I guess I'm not surprised, because, IINM, you said in a previous post you are a millennial.

I haven't seen it yet. (If you have a pic, please post it.) So I cannot comment on it. But if it looks cool, I'm sure I'll be okay with it. It's just a bandolier. Why would I object to him wearing a different bandolier? It's not much different than Han changing from his navy w/red stripe pants to brown w/gold stripe pants.

You're just not getting it. That ship is so old and weathered and beaten in Docking Bay 94, there is no way it received a fresh paint job in the previous few years. It's not just an affront to my SWIQ, it's an affront to common sense.

You do have common sense...don't you?

The Wook

I’m not really sure what ‘fanboy’ means though. I don’t wear merchandise or own a single toy, other than a tiny replica of the Falcon. I just really love the aesthetic of it all. The McQuarrie/Johnston grimy, chipped paint, military surplus with greeblies look.
Star Wars is the single biggest creative explosion of my young life and it still has a huge influence and effect on me.

You mentioned a while back that in the Russian promo image his bandolier was on the wrong shoulder, if you look at the LEGO figure for Chewie you’ll see what I mean. Can’t post it, don’t have the image.

But I do get it, Wook! It’s not a real ship! Thus, there could be any number of scenarios where the Falcon went from looking one way, to looking the other. You haven’t seen the movie yet - it’s set in a fantasy version of space. The type of paint, the type of adventures, the type of atmospheres or weapons of the bad guys could all factor into how it looks somehow.

N.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just really love the aesthetic of it all. The McQuarrie/Johnston grimy, chipped paint, military surplus with greeblies look.

Well, you get SWIQ points for that, anyway. :thumbsup

You mentioned a while back that in the Russian promo image his bandolier was on the wrong shoulder, if you look at the LEGO figure for Chewie you’ll see what I mean. Can’t post it, don’t have the image.

Okay, thanks, just googled it. No problems with it. Kinda cool. And I can tell you, as a Chewie actor, WAAAAY more practical than his single-strap bandolier! The number of times I've had to adjust the strap over my shoulder so as to not have it slip off, is, well, a lot. Mayhew had a hidden leather string inside his costume which tethered the bandolier strap to his neck. I never felt comfortable doing that, out of concern someone would accidentally yank on my bandolier.

Having said all that, if I was making this film, I'd use the traditional single-strap bandolier, to keep his look as similar to the OT as possible. Of course, I'd do a lot of other things toward that end, but that's another topic.

But I do get it, Wook! It’s not a real ship! Thus, there could be any number of scenarios where the Falcon went from looking one way, to looking the other. You haven’t seen the movie yet - it’s set in a fantasy version of space. The type of paint, the type of adventures, the type of atmospheres or weapons of the bad guys could all factor into how it looks somehow.

We'll see. I don't think they care enough, or have a high enough SWIQ, to have a plausible explanation for it in the film. But even if they do somehow, the OT Falcon is a thing of beauty just as it is. And I don't think it should be changed for the sake of selling toys.

The Wook

Last edited:
I agree the Falcon is a little too pristine for just 10 years prior to ANH. But, a lot can happen to a space vehicle in a decade. Hell, some cars can be pretty beat up by 10 years old.

:unsure Of course, not as much as 20 or 30 years of use, though. Which is probably more accurate in relation to the amount of wear and tear on the Falcon in ANH.

I agree the Falcon is a little too pristine for just 10 years prior to ANH. But, a lot can happen to a space vehicle in a decade. Hell, some cars can be pretty beat up by 10 years old.

:unsure Of course, not as much as 20 or 30 years of use, though. Which is probably more accurate in relation to the amount of wear and tear on the Falcon in ANH.

"She wont get a scratch"

"I got your promise, now, not a scratch"

Yeah, but nothing deteriorates in space--even in a million years--and that is where the Falcon spends much of its time. Plus, Kessel is a dry heat, kinda like Phoenix, soooo...

Well, you get SWIQ points for that, anyway. :thumbsup

Okay, thanks, just googled it. No problems with it. Kinda cool. And I can tell you, as a Chewie actor, WAAAAY more practical than his single-strap bandolier! The number of times I've had to adjust the strap over my shoulder so as to not have it slip off, is, well, a lot. Mayhew had a hidden leather string inside his costume which tethered the bandolier strap to his neck. I never felt comfortable doing that, out of concern someone would accidentally yank on my bandolier.

Having said all that, if I was making this film, I'd use the traditional single-strap bandolier, to keep his look as similar to the OT as possible. Of course, I'd do a lot of other things toward that end, but that's another topic.

We'll see. I don't think they care enough, or have a high enough SWIQ, to have a plausible explanation for it in the film. But even if they do somehow, the OT Falcon is a thing of beauty just as it is. And I don't think it should be changed for the sake of selling toys.

The Wook

Didn’t know that about Mayhew’s costume, thanks!
This is off topic a little bit but Chewie didn’t always feel like Chewie in TFA but there’s one moment that always makes me feel so good at the end when he and Rey are in the Falcon, off to Ach-To and Chewie gives her a look - do you know if that was Peter? It has to be, I think - the head tilt and look is PERFECT Chewbacca, probably the last time we ever see Peter’s Chewie on-screen and he nailed it.

I agree the Falcon is the single most perfect ship design ever. But, I’m fine with different looks here and there. The Stratocaster is a thing of beauty, Clapton and Hendrix did very different things with theirs but they are still unmistakably what they are and distinct.

N.

This is off topic a little bit but Chewie didn’t always feel like Chewie in TFA but there’s one moment that always makes me feel so good at the end when he and Rey are in the Falcon, off to Ach-To and Chewie gives her a look - do you know if that was Peter? It has to be, I think - the head tilt and look is PERFECT Chewbacca, probably the last time we ever see Peter’s Chewie on-screen and he nailed it.

And just when we were gettin' on so well, mate.

I absolutely hated that look he gave her. I cringe just thinking about it. All those SWIQ points ya got for grime and greeblies?? Gone. lol

To address your question, I don't know. Peter was reported to do all the seated scenes in TFA, so I presume it was him. I'd probably be able to tell if I watched that shot again, but I can't because I don't want to vomit.

As for your guitar analogy, that is flawed, I'm afraid. Stratocaster is a type of guitar, like a YT-1300. Hendrix didn't win his guitar from Clapton. I would have no problem if another bloke, say Bib Sonick from Ryloth, had a YT-1300 and painted it purple polka dot.

The Wook

And just when we were gettin' on so well, mate.

I absolutely hated that look he gave her. I cringe just thinking about it. All those SWIQ points ya got for grime and greeblies?? Gone. lol

To address your question, I don't know. Peter was reported to do all the seated scenes in TFA, so I presume it was him. I'd probably be able to tell if I watched that shot again, but I can't because I don't want to vomit.

As for your guitar analogy, that is flawed, I'm afraid. Stratocaster is a type of guitar, like a YT-1300. Hendrix didn't win his guitar from Clapton. I would have no problem if another bloke, say Bib Sonick from Ryloth, had a YT-1300 and painted it purple polka dot.

The Wook

Really!? Is it just because he seemed to accept Rey as the new captain of the ship?

Haha man I really hope you get a satisfactory transition between it having blue on it to it not having blue on it.
What if Hendrix did win his famous Strat from Clapton? Then he turned it upside down, hung some scarves from it, set fire to it - it’s appearance has changed based purely on the personality and influence of its NEW owner.

I mean, I bought a Commodore wagon a few years back - lovely car - but I made sure to peel the ‘Monster Energy’ sticker off the back window and I replaced the blinding chrome mags with something a little more subtle - ‘special modifications’ if you will.

Anyway, we’re talking in circles here... WHERE THE **** IS THE TRAILER, RON!?!?

N.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back