Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters

This is what I hate about the internet era. Or maybe it's just modern business. Anything that doesn't perform to expectations, even where it clearly is profitable, is a failure. That, and the sentiment that "I don't like this, therefore it must fail". Even where most people like it, or are at least indifferent to it's performance, the vocal minority proclaims it as doomed.

Oh, I can speak to this. First it’s funny Forbes has two different guys reporting on this and they are entirely at odds with each other in their reporting.

Anyway when you do a financial performance review of a recurring revenue stream like a sequel film, you have to consider comparables. In the case of TLJ the comparable he uses is TFA, which makes sense. But the caveat is is it actually comparable? When a company like Apple launches a new, revolutionary device (and it’s been a while) the initial revenue generated is very high. The next release isn’t going to match that initial adoption period so the earnings aren’t as comparable at least in a way a lot of conclusions can be drawn. And this guy makes a lot of conclusions that are simple speculation as opposed to actual data. TFA is an impossible comparable. As more SW films come to market a more reasonable number can be established. Realistically any film release in the $1-1.5B global range is a financial success and if TLJ closes out its run as the number one global of 2017 that would be even better for marketing future films.

Really guys? If I had of posted a piece that said exactly the opposite of that article, neither of you would have had a problem.

That article is a lot more straight forward than whatever that standard corporate damage control gobbledygook was you posted Bryan.

If you want real time feedback, check the review posted directly above it.

Last edited:
Really guys? If I had of posted a piece that said exactly the opposite of that article, neither of you would have had a problem.

That article is a lot more straight forward than whatever that standard corporate damage control gobbledygook was you posted Bryan.

If you want real time feedback, check the review posted directly above it.

Just providing you some much needed education on who real financial anylsis works, don’t shoot the messenger!

With an aggressive slate of releases, an annual or perhaps biannual, SW “Saga” or “Trilogy” films should perform similar to the Avengers releases and “Story” films inline with GOTG or the recent Thor film. It’s wildly unrealistic to think they can reach towards $2B globally with any consistency. And that’s fine, box office is only one part of the revenue picture. Add further dilution with a TV series will make it much more similar to the Marvel model although SW will never match that release schedule.

So is Gin going to leave Ray alone now? He was like a dog humper in TFA. Is his new trash lady turned super pilot overnight his new love interest? It looked like he didnt return the love. Oh.....I get it now. Its gonna be Poe and Fin turnin up the romance in Episode nine.

I read a great comment about the Rey - Poe dialogue yesterday. Rey thinks she comes from nowhere and is nobody and Kylo tells her she is a nobody. BUT when she rescues everyone and finally gets a second to speak with Poe she says "I'm Rey" and Poe is like "I know". She has played a big part in the resistance and THEY know who she is and knows she is NOT a nobody but one of them. I think that is a cool moment and not really meant as anything romantic.

Also, as an aside it seems they did meet in TFA but that ended up on the cutting room floor.

Also I don't really see it as a big deal that a movie that has been one of the biggest financial hits of all time but can't beat the #1 biggest hit of all time. Again,a disingenuous article at best.

Constant talk about the financial status of this movie and the financial implications etc is really not the point of why we gather here, well except for one person, it has nothing to do with the reason why we love movies, its hollow and at worst nothing more than a smokescreen.

Interesting.

I do know this, the 8-16 year old crowd, that they are trying to capture, does not read the EU or any type of novelization, So Disney better just be wise and give it to them straight.

I think the point is that they (meaning the 8-16 year old "target audience") don't sit and obsess over all of the minute details and wring their hands over what wasn't explained. It's *us* that do that. they take it as it comes, and let their imaginations fill in anything they missed, or didn't catch when re-watching.

I rather think that's how it's *supposed* to work.

I think the point is that they (meaning the 8-16 year old "target audience") don't sit and obsess over all of the minute details and wring their hands over what wasn't explained. It's *us* that do that. they take it as it comes, and let their imaginations fill in anything they missed, or didn't catch when re-watching.

I rather think that's how it's *supposed* to work.

It certainly did for my 9 year old mind in 1977.

No argument from me on that point. I just find it interesting that talking about a film's financials is distasteful for some unless it suits their argument. Some people might call it trolling. Not me, but some people.

I called it that...& Still do. Glad others are speaking up about it, too.

I'm just not 'allowed' to cross the particular bridge that this troll lives under.

Maybe I'll get reported to the proper authorities, too. I'd love to meet them.

Slightly OT, but I decided to binge the prequels yesterday having bought them on BR and not viewed the set yet. I've had a love/hate relationship with them over the years, but I must have been in a loving frame of mind because I really enjoyed them for a change. Sure, I got up to make a drink whenever there was a love scene, and yes, having seen them dozens of times it was easy to uncritically coast on auto-pilot, but still.

To tie this to TLJ, I hope that those who don't like it grow to appreciate the movie (or at least tolerate it) over time. And I hope that I don't find myself souring on it with repeated viewings. I'm super excited to think that in two years I'll be able to sit down and binge a sequel trilogy some cold Sunday afternoon.

It was nice yesterday to just nerd out and be a fan and not care too much about the parts of the PT I didn't like.

Supplemental material has literally been a thing since the OT.

Side note:

That's actually not exactly true. The "supplemental" material was either novelizations of the films (which, if memory serves, was usually based on some non-final-stage screenplay), or took the form of the newspaper comic strips or Marvel comic books.

The newspaper strips were later republished as Dark Horse Comics' "Classic Star Wars" line. The original run was from '79-'84.

The Marvel Comics run was from '77 (apparently starting 1 month prior to the film's release) up through '86.

Aside from that, you had Splinter of the Mind's Eye, the NPR radio dramatizations of the first two films, and...that was about it.

The real explosion in Star Wars background material began in '87 with the publication of West End Games' Star Wars roleplaying game. You'd be stunned at just how much stuff from the source books there made its way into the wider Star Wars universe, even continuing today. That, I would argue, is really the point where the Star Wars universe begins to become "canonized." By that, I mean that the universe starts to have people impose rules, order, backstory, continuity, etc. The Marvel comics and the newspaper strips did some of that, but they were more just concerned with the immediate plot in front of them, rather than coherence of backstory or consistency in terms of worldbuilding. I mean, yeah, you'd make sure that Character XYZ who had met Luke Skywalker in Issue #54 didn't meet him again in Issue #83 and act like it was the first time, but otherwise, there wasn't the kind of minutia that we now apply to Star Wars.

The West End stuff really reached the broader public with the Zahn trilogy, which Zahn himself wrote with copies of the West End source books to provide background.

Anyway, my point here is pretty simple: the notion of "Oh, you have to read all this backstory stuff to understand" wasn't really an issue up through production of the PT. Lucas didn't bind himself to anything written by any of the EU authors. And during production of the OT, he never concerned himself with what the comics writers were doing. It just didn't factor in.

There's a ton of stuff we've come to just kind of "accept" as part of the background of Star Wars, but it didn't really exist contemporaneously with the development of the original films, and it didn't affect them or serve to explain them. The films just...were. You took them at face value.

I'm thinking that Yoda probably did try to talk to Luke in some way, but Luke wasn't hearing any of it from anyone, especially after what happened with Ben. Luke was probably in a funk about everything: basically his entire livelihood and purpose in life was gone in an instant because he made a stupid mistake. It was basically Luke being in a slump and depression about everything that transpired.

Yeah, I think sometimes the best teachers know when their audience is receptive, and when their comments will fall on deaf ears and it's best to wait til later.

Sure, there are stories there. Star Wars is literally filled with the implication that a lot of things are happening in the background or have happened in the past. The thing is, those stories don't serve the main narrative of the films we are watching.

Bingo. A huge part of the stuff we now sort of treat as established Star Wars backstory just...wasn't touched on in the original films. Where'd the Empire come from? How'd the galaxy shift from Republic to Empire? Who was the Emperor before he was Emperor? How'd he gain power? Remember, prior to -- at best -- his one scene in ESB, the Emperor's Sith abilities are never referenced at all. Implied, sure, but never explicitly referenced. But it's ultimately immaterial to the ongoing tale. There may be stories to tell about those issues as well, but it doesn't matter for the purpose of this story.

With an aggressive slate of releases, an annual or perhaps biannual, SW “Saga” or “Trilogy” films should perform similar to the Avengers releases and “Story” films inline with GOTG or the recent Thor film. It’s wildly unrealistic to think they can reach towards $2B globally with any consistency. And that’s fine, box office is only one part of the revenue picture. Add further dilution with a TV series will make it much more similar to the Marvel model although SW will never match that release schedule.

I think (so far) the theory is an annual release.

At this point, I think TLJ is likely seen by Disney as a financial success. The degree of that success remains to be seen (e.g. all the merchandising you've mentioned), and Disney has taken a few bruises lately for issues unrelated to TLJ itself (e.g. Battlefront 2's loot crate fiasco, which may have resulted in industry-wide change and regulation), but aside from one DLC tie-in, that product isn't really what I'd consider a "TLJ" product specifically.

Honestly, I think the truly shaky, risky film will be Solo. I've thought for a while that the basic concept was a really risky one, and the film's troubled production history makes me think it could end up the first serious Star Wars theatrical disappointment we've seen (financially disappointing, I mean).

Beyond Ep. IX, I'm most curious about where else their "story" films go from here. Mining the backstories of OT/PT-era characters ain't gonna cut it. Rian Johnson's trilogy will hopefully branch well out of that realm. I'm hoping for more Rogue One-like stories that deal with entirely new characters in eras that remain familiar to us.

Slightly OT, but I decided to binge the prequels yesterday having bought them on BR and not viewed the set yet. I've had a love/hate relationship with them over the years, but I must have been in a loving frame of mind because I really enjoyed them for a change. Sure, I got up to make a drink whenever there was a love scene, and yes, having seen them dozens of times it was easy to uncritically coast on auto-pilot, but still.

To tie this to TLJ, I hope that those who don't like it grow to appreciate the movie (or at least tolerate it) over time. And I hope that I don't find myself souring on it with repeated viewings. I'm super excited to think that in two years I'll be able to sit down and binge a sequel trilogy some cold Sunday afternoon.

It was nice yesterday to just nerd out and be a fan and not care too much about the parts of the PT I didn't like.
Man, that sounds awesome. I was fixing burst water pipes all day yesterday after church.

I've already said, it bothers me that so many fans of this franchise, that have loved it for so long, are so disappointed that they want to swear off SW forever.

Really hope an appreciation can grow over time, just for the sake of unity & the community.

Side note:

That's actually not exactly true. The "supplemental" material was either novelizations of the films (which, if memory serves, was usually based on some non-final-stage screenplay), or took the form of the newspaper comic strips or Marvel comic books.

The newspaper strips were later republished as Dark Horse Comics' "Classic Star Wars" line. The original run was from '79-'84.

The Marvel Comics run was from '77 (apparently starting 1 month prior to the film's release) up through '86.

Aside from that, you had Splinter of the Mind's Eye, the NPR radio dramatizations of the first two films, and...that was about it.

And the Han Solo novels - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Han_Solo_Adventures

Man, that sounds awesome. I was fixing burst water pipes all day yesterday after church. 

I've already said, it bothers me that so many fans of this franchise, that have loved it for so long, are so disappointed that they want to swear off SW forever.

Really hope an appreciation can grow over time, just for the sake of unity & the community.

Sometimes when a piece of subjective art is challenging and generates a lot of positive and negative discussion it really is one for the ages.

@Solo4124, Dan, I think if Solo can be a $750M global film it will be considered a win.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back