RIP John Young NASA Astronaut

I was fortunate to have worked with him and serve with him.

He was, and still is, a legend to ALL who fly and NASA

All Flags should be at half staff for him

I was fortunate to have worked with him and serve with him.

What a tremendous honour for you. He always seemed to me from even such a distance to be a man of the highest quality.

I was only watching a TV documentary that very day on the life of Neil Armstrong and was left in awe and sadness. To read this on that very same day was just too much.

Indeed - he was the astronaut's astronaut. I doubt there will be another astronaut that will build his range of experience again for a very long time. What an amazing career.

He made me do 'math in public' during my interview for the astronaut office, asking me a question about asteroid impact statistics during the Board interview. I was simultaneously somewhat unnerved and in awe the whole time knowing he was sitting just a few feet behind my right shoulder. At the beginning of that week John was the one during the introductory meeting reminding us of the seriousness of what we were doing by asking us if we had our wills up-to-date and our affairs in order. I count myself so fortunate to have had the experience of getting to meet him in that capacity.

Dan

I voted for First Man in the 2018 movie poll a few days ago, Fingers crossed John Young`s role is covered in that and also his passing in the credits.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back