Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

I thought this as well, until I listened through the soundtrack a few times on Spotify. I'm onboard.

SB
The scores of both R1 and TFA have their moments of brilliance. But Giacchino is no Williams, and Williams is, well, nowhere near as good anymore as he was in the 70s/80s. Compare the score of TFA to *any* of the scores of the OT, and you see what I mean. Maybe the score for TLJ will change this, IF he manages to establish clear leitmotifs from the seeds he planted with TFA.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I've just watched AOTC and have never been more thankful that we have a movie like Rogue One in the Star Wars universe. Sure there are some rough edges but it's an entry that I'm always happy to watch from the series.

How are people still talking about about this mediocre film?? There are only about 15 minutes worth of scenes that are worth a damn. Pointless film. If it didn't have Vader or Leia nobody would even care IMHO. Just my opinion of course.

I do love TFA. I hated the prequels though. I remembered all the characters from TFA and their part in the story after the first showing. I've seen R1 3 times and still only remember maybe half the characters. They're all throw away. The only thing that could have saved it for me is if the people Vader mowed down in the corridor were all of the main characters. That would have been great because they're all that forgettable.

I do love TFA. I hated the prequels though. I remembered all the characters from TFA and their part in the story after the first showing. I've seen R1 3 times and still only remember maybe half the characters. They're all throw away. The only thing that could have saved it for me is if the people Vader mowed down in the corridor were all of the main characters. That would have been great because they're all that forgettable.
I'm a proud prequel apologist and I can say that one suggestion I have for more memorable characters would be to replace the blind guy and his thug friend with Kanan and Zeb from rebels.
World building, ya know?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

In my best Comicbook Guy voice, “Erm, that “Thug” & “Blind-Guy” were “Guardians of the Whills” and like more than a nod to Akira Kurosawa.” “They are of epic import to the very foundation of “Adventures of Luke Starkiller, as taken from the Journal of the Whills, Saga I: The Star Wars”; as we almost knew it by.

24E62210-1EC7-47D8-9FDF-533BC30899F0.jpeg

But seriously, they were an amazing choice, from a certain point of view.

In my best Comicbook Guy voice, “Erm, that “Thug” & “Blind-Guy” were “Guardians of the Whills” and like more than a nod to Akira Kurosawa.” “They are of epic import to the very foundation of “Adventures of Luke Starkiller, as taken from the Journal of the Whills, Saga I: The Star Wars”; as we almost knew it by.

View attachment 779634

But seriously, they were an amazing choice, from a certain point of view.
I Get all that. Just like midichlorians we're also in the first draft.

It doesn't change the fact that one of the main criticisms of the film is that no one was invested in the characters by time they all gave their lives

It doesn't change the fact that one of the main criticisms of the film is that no one was invested in the characters by time they all gave their lives

Hmmm...no one? Not sure about that "fact". I don't remember filling out any official survey about how invested I was in the characters after I saw the film. But if it came from professional film critics, then I'm sure it must be true. After all their opinion counts more than the rest of us mere mortals.

Hmmm...no one? Not sure about that "fact". I don't remember filling out any official survey about how invested I was in the characters after I saw the film. But if it came from professional film critics, then I'm sure it must be true. After all their opinion counts more than the rest of us mere mortals.
I was much more invested in the characters of Rogue One than any of the characters in TFA. Especially when it came to Jyn vs. Rey. The characters in Rogue One had everything to lose, and they did in the end. It didn't make sense to me at the time, that the deaths of Chirrut and Baz choked me up, while the death of Han left me completely unaffected. In hindsight it makes perfect sense though.

Let me put it this way, many of the professional reviews I read said that. As well, many of the YouTube reviewers said that. And, many of the people here said that.

Although it is not a fact that the characters were uninteresting, it is a fact that there was a pattern to that criticism. It was common to criticize the characters.

You may very well disagree with that critique, but you can't deny that it was a common one.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back