Game of Thrones

Oh man, that White Walker baby...makes me wonder.

Jamie on the Iron Throne is interesting.

And Aerys being shown as well kind of makes me wonder where Danys storyline is heading...

Benjen's return was cool. I knew almost immediately it was him, or I at least had a strong suspicion.

How many Valyrian swords can we round up?

It would be awesome if Bran was somehow a manipulator of a few plot points further back than just Hodor. He has gone back quite a ways.

Like, perhaps, warging into Aerys the Mad, causing his "BURN THEM ALL" moment?

- Jon, on the other hand, needs to get his ass in gear and get psyched. I understand that he's typically dour like most Northerners, but come on man! It's game time! Put your game face on! Look at Tormund! He knows what I'm talkin' about!

- I'm looking forward to Walder Frey getting his. I'm kind of hoping he dies at the hand of his own son.

I REALLY want Jon to take that guys head. The Starks owe him!

As far as Sam's dad's sword, I just figured that Sam heard "Valyrian steel" and remembered Jon's sword killed a White Walker and took it for use in the future.

Interesting stuff.

And yes, even watching the behind the scenes stuff of Hodor's sacrifice with no effects and the director shouting STILL made me cry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have nothing to add to this conversation other than I just started the series last week and now I'm on Ep3 of Season3 and I'm happy that I waited this long so I could binge it all. Really looking forward to getting up to date, but I also don't want to think about having to wait weekly for the new ones :eek

I have nothing to add to this conversation other than I just started the series last week and now I'm on Ep3 of Season3 and I'm happy that I waited this long so I could binge it all. Really looking forward to getting up to date, but I also don't want to think about having to wait weekly for the new ones :eek

No offense intended, but stay out of this thread. There be spoilers aplenty here.

I...

As far as Sam's dad's sword, I just figured that Sam heard "Valyrian steel" and remembered Jon's sword killed a White Walker and took it for use in the future.

Since the sword is supposed to go to the eldest son anyway, it really actually belongs to Sam already. Of course his father probably wouldn't see it that way. Love the idea that Sam may figure to draw the Tarley army north in going after it!

So, has Benjen been consolidated with Coldhands in the TV series?

Since the sword is supposed to go to the eldest son anyway, it really actually belongs to Sam already. Of course his father probably wouldn't see it that way. Love the idea that Sam may figure to draw the Tarley army north in going after it!

So, has Benjen been consolidated with Coldhands in the TV series?

It looks that way. In the books there is no way that Coldhands could be Benjen. The Children speak of Coldhands and mention that he was killed long ago. For a long living being to refer to Coldhands that way would mean it couldn't be Benjen.

At this point in the series, I don't expect Dany to do anything. Every time she makes a big speech, she eventually winds up stuck in some spot and getting involved in a community outreach.

Biggest surprise is that no one (living) died. Saddest thing was Sam not getting more bread.

It looks that way. In the books there is no way that Coldhands could be Benjen. The Children speak of Coldhands and mention that he was killed long ago. For a long living being to refer to Coldhands that way would mean it couldn't be Benjen.

When Benjen first appeared I honestly did think it was Coldhands and I was even looking at his hands to see if they would be black. I wonder if Coldhands may have been something The Children also created.

I loved the first few episodes so much better. They seemed faster paced, and started taking us into uncharted territory. Now it feels like they slammed on the brakes so we can go back and revisit a bunch of story lines for books 4 & 5 that were left out. I now firmly believe we will see Stoneheart, which is good.

When Benjen first appeared I honestly did think it was Coldhands and I was even looking at his hands to see if they would be black. I wonder if Coldhands may have been something The Children also created.

I looked for this, too, and they did seem to be much darker than they should have been.

Oh man, that White Walker baby...makes me wonder.

Jamie on the Iron Throne is interesting.

And Aerys being shown as well kind of makes me wonder where Danys storyline is heading...

Benjen's return was cool. I knew almost immediately it was him, or I at least had a strong suspicion.

How many Valyrian swords can we round up?

It would be awesome if Bran was somehow a manipulator of a few plot points further back than just Hodor. He has gone back quite a ways.

That was how Ned Stark found Jamie after he killed the mad king

As far as the Benjen/Cold Hands thing, this is probably just a case of condensing characters into one and at the same time feeding the fans some scraps since it is such a popular theory.

I believe the books have debunked that it could be Benjen

Yeah, book Coldhands != Benjen. TV Coldhands = Benjen because...eh, why not? Benjen might still return in the books, or they might find a wight version of him that would reveal what happened to him, but he might just be...gone. Never found because screw you, that's why.

Also, recently saw someone else mention this, but it might fit.

Rickon's direwolf is named....shaggydog. So, you may not want to count on book Rickon's story going anywhere.

What I think the series has done well, and is continuing to do well, is to condense otherwise disparate plotlines which, while interesting in the books, ultimately either don't NEED to be separate or don't appear to NEED to be elaborated upon. E.G., condensing Gendry and Edric Storm into a single character on the show. I mean, yeah, it's intersting that Robert "made the 8" and sired bastards all across the realm, but for purposes of the show, do we really need to get into it in this level of detail? Do we need another character to drop in and appear?

Characters in the books often can appear because they either flesh out the locale where they are, providing flavor and/or connections to the region, and also because they make the world feel expansive rather than like Lucas' Six Degrees of Star Wars fishbowl universe. But on the show...eh...there's enough characters as it is.

Also, some of the more fantastical characters like Coldhands and Stoneheart don't quite fit the show. Stoneheart might still show up, but it makes more sense to have her appear now as magic is beginning to thrive again in the world, than to have had her appear where she did in the book, considering she then just...vanishes for almost two whole books because none of the POV characters encounter her.

Rickon's direwolf is named....shaggydog. So, you may not want to count on book Rickon's story going anywhere.

I really don't know what to make of Rickon. All the Stark children have played major roles, or gotten significant page/screen time. He just... shows up from time to time. Seems odd to have included a child of a major house with no purpose. Up to this point, nothing would be different if he never existed. He is either going to play a major role in the future, which I doubt, or exist solely to draw out Jon Snow.

I really don't know what to make of Rickon. All the Stark children have played major roles, or gotten significant page/screen time. He just... shows up from time to time. Seems odd to have included a child of a major house with no purpose. Up to this point, nothing would be different if he never existed. He is either going to play a major role in the future, which I doubt, or exist solely to draw out Jon Snow.

I'll just leave this here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaggy_dog_story

Well, let's remember now, Rickon was a toddler in the books when the dire wolves were brought home; I think 3 years old at most. That is a totally legit name for a 3 year old to give a dire wolf.

Right. I'm just saying, I wouldn't put it past Martin to throw an in-joke like that into his book when the Rickon storyline ends up going nowhere. For example, the Rickon that Manderly claims to have found might just be an imposter and the real Rickon is never found. Hence, Rickon's tale ultimately becomes kind of a shaggy dog story, perhaps even mirroring the supposedly archetypal one.

Or it could just be a coincidence.

They said years ago that stoneheart would not be in the show at all. So I highly doubt you will see any of that story line from this point forward.

I now firmly believe we will see Stoneheart, which is good.

Now that they are going back to the Riverlands it seems there would be ample opportunity to bring Stoneheart into the show. But, considering how little time is left, I still kind of doubt it. It had been widely reported that Ian McShane had been cast for this season and we haven't even seen him yet. So it seems unlikely that Stoneheart is going to be introduced. I would think there would've been rumors, but then again I don't remember anything being leaked about the actor who plays Benjen, so you just really never know with this show. Even the return of Tobias Menzies as Edmure Tully was a big surprise. I would've thought he was too busy to come back, but apparently he had some time away from his other projects.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back