A L I E N Narcissus *Completed*

Had a productive weekend.
I managed to get both sheets of the styrene templates (which covers the entire ship) transferred over to plastic.
I then spent the rest of the weekend cutting them out and sticking them on!

I have to say, I'm quite enjoying the process.
It's time consuming - due to the sheer amount of parts, but with a refreshing beverage and some good tunes, it's quite therapeutic! lol

I've made a good dent in the plating for the top front half and hopefully I can find some more time during the week to continue a little further...

Capture139.jpg Capture140.jpg

Capture142.jpg Capture141.jpg Capture143.jpg

Continuing to add plating to the top of the ship.
Currently working on the rear quarter panels and the airlock area.

It's a time consuming process to make sure that everything is located correctly (to match the original).
The full sized paper templates I had printed are a big help in this regard.
It's reassuring to see everything is fitting as it should.

Capture144.jpg

Capture145.jpg

Just noticed this thread. Have to say, it's wonderful and a clear labour of love.

Your patience and attention to detail will be rewarded when it all comes together.

Getting the armature cut obviously sped up the process and it looked great even as just a basic frame. Measure twice cut once, they say.

I'd never be able to afford one of these (can I ask how much the model cost?) but I can live vicariously through your excellent work.

Followed on Facebook to to watch your progress!

The finished product should be a marvel!

Been following you on FB, but will also subscribe to this thread - it's absolutely gorgeous!

Thank you very much!
It really gives me incentive keep working, knowing that people are following along with the build.

Just noticed this thread. Have to say, it's wonderful and a clear labour of love.

Your patience and attention to detail will be rewarded when it all comes together.

Getting the armature cut obviously sped up the process and it looked great even as just a basic frame. Measure twice cut once, they say.

I'd never be able to afford one of these (can I ask how much the model cost?) but I can live vicariously through your excellent work.

Followed on Facebook to to watch your progress!

The finished product should be a marvel!

Thank you!
Yes, it has been a bit of an obsession of mine for the past 5 years lol.
All the hard work was in building the CAD model and getting everything to match the reference photos.
Once that was done it has been a relatively quick build (up until this point anyway - if a little nerve wracking making sure everything fits together properly).
I've been checking against the 3D model as I've been going so that I don't make any silly mistakes!

Material cost would probably not be that much.
A few sheets of acylic, some styrene and a short length of steel for the armature (sounds simple when you put it like that!).
Buying the kit parts for modelling reference cost around $2000.
The real cost is in all the hours put into the 3D model up until this point. I wouldn't even know where to start to put a figure to it.

Thanks for following along - I really appreciate the support and comments.

The plating for the top of the ship is now complete.
Not much to write about as it was just a case of cutting, sanding and gluing into place (repeated over and over!)
I'm happy to report that it all fitted, matching my templates and the CAD/photomatched model.

I have glued the clamps to the armature plugs and attached the "Evergreen" sheeting to the top of the engines - as per the original.

I've included the obligatory Coke can for scale in the last shot and a pic of the original model for comparison.

Capture146.jpg Capture147.jpg Capture148.jpg

Capture149.jpg Ref__11.jpg

I'll move onto the plating the underside next...

In-progress shots are always my favourite part of any thread. Especially for old-school physical models. Will be sad when you actually finish it, because you've done a man's job on this!

Last edited:
Mine too!
Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it.
Still a fair bit to do before I wind it up though!

I can't corroborate this, but when I watched Alien at the Odeon Leicester Square in London in 1979, as the credits rolled and the special visual effects crew names came up, a loud series of cheers rang out from the circle audience. Must have been them and I'm sure they were pleased with their efforts -- as they surely would be with your fantastic replica!

Thats very kind - thank you :)
The guys working in the model shop in Bray Studios, really did an oustanding job on all the models in the movie.
I think they were having a great time doing it too.

lol - that's so cool.
It would have been quite something to see it during its opening run in London!

Capture.JPG

It was a normal showing only I'm afraid...and as a callow 17-year-old at the time (bravado got me past the box office for an 18 rating), had no access to special screenings. It was great though... a seminal film for me.

I remember seeing it in the movie at the time and it was quite the shock to say the least: a classic:cool As for that model of yours, it's looking mighty great(y)thumbsup

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back