Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

I don't disagree. Like I said, I didn't love TLJ-- but I have said this a thousand times and will say it a thousand more. When a group of people get together and become the loudest voice with their shared opinion, that does not make them a majority.

They COULD be. I wouldn't be surprised if fandom was fractured-- but it's not something I can just accept because some mad fans say so. I was on the flip side of this for the PT. NO ONE I knew liked those movies, they seemed objectively bad-- and yet, they made a crap ton of money and SW celebration events were still sold out with screaming fans.

Disney hasn't halted work on the theme park expansions. They haven't shut down any movies (all we've heard are rumors). I'm sure Solo taking a hit has made them regroup and change some plans, like any studio would after a bomb, but there is ZERO proof if them being in "damage control" outside of editorial opinions-- which ALWAYS have a insular point of view. Kathleen Kennedy isn't speaking in public! No way! Show me one other studio mouthpiece who is in the public eye when they DON'T have a movie or event to plug.

I have no problem with people not liking TLJ, but I will always take issue with people trying to control the narrative and using it to put down other people by saying they are stupid, lesser fans, in denial, etc.

I think we all love props, models and costumes. ; )

People come here for props, models, and costumes? I've seen people who have paid accounts that never venture out of Entertainment and Movie talk. I'm talking about zero threads in any other section of the whole forum... :rolleyes

Which is really weird...why pay for this place if you don't use any of the benefits (such as the scrapyard, etc.)? No props made, no merchandise purchased or displayed, and no posts on scrapyard sale threads...nada.

But as for on topic to the thread, the results of this rumor should be confirmed or denied by the end of this month or next. Allegedly.

Sadly that is what this board has become.

Back in the “Golden age” the Prop forum would move quickly with all sorts of different builds or new discoveries.

There was not an Entertainment Section, just the Ot and that was sometimes pulled due to the problems it caused.

People come here for props, models, and costumes? I've seen people who have paid accounts that never venture out of Entertainment and Movie talk. I'm talking about zero threads in any other section of the whole forum... :rolleyes

I can see how these threads can be problematic in that way. If I had more time to build things I would share more of my work. Which I intend to do more of as I'm finishing off items. I'm constantly in the Junkyard. I've purchased some great items and have had the pleasure of selling some cool items too.

I've tried to keep my posts in the entertainment section to a minimum over the last few months. I've been trying to focus my time more on builds.

I think I finally understand why some of the other forums I participate in don't bother having entertainment sections.

Some of us have been here a loooooooong time and got the prop bug out of our systems long ago.

But as for on topic to the thread, the results of this rumor should be confirmed or denied by the end of this month or next. Allegedly.

What are you basing this claim on? Genuinely curious.

The numbers do not lie.
TLJ did 1.3 BILLION dollars at the box office.
I'm pretty sure Star Wars 9 is going to do ok too. No amount of anecdotal evidence or internet hearsay or hardcore fan griping can explain away a billion dollar box office. It takes more than a single under performing film (Solo) to display a trend. Let's not be sounding the funeral dirge just yet, even if you're among those who are saying TLJ killed Star Wars for you. There's a lot of audience out there still.

I can see how these threads can be problematic in that way. If I had more time to build things I would share more of my work. Which I intend to do more of as I'm finishing off items. I'm constantly in the Junkyard. I've purchased some great items and have had the pleasure of selling some cool items too.

I've tried to keep my posts in the entertainment section to a minimum over the last few months. I've been trying to focus my time more on builds.

I think I finally understand why some of the other forums I participate in don't bother having entertainment sections.

I feel like all my projects have to come to a stand still for one reason or another.......

Some former comic book artist turn industry insider.

Former? The guy just pre sold over half a million dollars worth of his latest comic in a little over four months, probably doing better than marvel at this point. Nearly every post of yours has something completely wrong in it.:lol

His pointing out the end of Disney`s fiscal year actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Especially as their share price has suffered consecutive write downs recently.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel like all my projects have to come to a stand still for one reason or another.......

I wonder why that is? Getting chased out of You Tube comment sections and camping here have anything to do with that?

Some former comic book artist turn industry insider.
To be fair, that same insider has been right about a lot of things. Not saying he's always 100% right, but a lot of his predictions have come true. Coincidence only goes so far... and he isn't the only one.

Some of us have been here a loooooooong time and got the prop bug out of our systems long ago.
Not talking about older accounts. Talking about ones that have been here for only a couple years - paid accounts - on a "prop" forum - that only post in the Entertainment section. That partake in no other segment of the forum or community and only post on movies/shows. It's an odd thing. Call it a circumstantial observation.

What are you basing this claim on? Genuinely curious.

This ---> Robn1: Well the rumors say she'll be out by the end of September, the end of Disney's fiscal year.

Former? The guy just pre sold over half a million dollars worth of his latest comic in a little over four months, probably doing better than marvel at this point. Nearly every post of yours has something completely wrong in it.:lol

His pointing out the end of Disney`s fiscal year actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Especially as their share price has suffered consecutive write downs recently.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder why that is? Getting chased out of You Tube comment sections and camping here have anything to do with that?

More like speaker troubles on one saber, and waiting of the Graflex shop on the other.

We can all unite in our disdain for the Ewok Adventure, though. And I have never met anyone who liked the novels Children of the Jedi or The Crystal Star.

Hey now, I have the Ewok movies on DVD, as well as a poster for Caravan of Courage. Not that they were the best things, but they were better than an hour and a half of listening to Wookiees in the HS.

I have read both Children of the Jedi and the Crystal Star, and that, I will agree with.

The numbers do not lie.
TLJ did 1.3 BILLION dollars at the box office.
I'm pretty sure Star Wars 9 is going to do ok too. No amount of anecdotal evidence or internet hearsay or hardcore fan griping can explain away a billion dollar box office. It takes more than a single under performing film (Solo) to display a trend. Let's not be sounding the funeral dirge just yet, even if you're among those who are saying TLJ killed Star Wars for you. There's a lot of audience out there still.

The numbers don't lie but they can mislead. People don't know what they think of a movie until they've bought the ticket and seen it. The fallout from a disliked movie like TLJ partially shows up in the next one. The reverse happens when a movie is liked more than people expected, the next one does better.

I don't think TLJ killed the franchise. IMO it was a mixed bag. I really liked some aspects of it.

But you gotta admit the truth. The diehard SW fanbase's reaction (not necessarily the whole public) was among the worst in the franchise's history. If they could have rescinded their decision to pay for the ticket after the fact, many people would have.

The numbers tell a very clear story actually. After TFA, the excitement for Star Wars was at incredible levels and the huge carrot of Luke Skywalker dangled in audience faces worldwide. Because of this people came in their millions to see him and an exciting second film, thus TLJ making the majority of its money in the first week. Then reality and word of mouth took control of the situation as it always does and the BO for TLJ dropped off the proverbial cliff in its second week and never recovered.

Disney pulled a trick that only an IP like Star Wars ever allows and history showed that it will not be allowed to play a trick like that ever again. The fact that they forced Theatre owners in to a strangling minimum length of stay contract for TLJ and didnt even issue screeners to the theatre owners before release says to me that they new exactly how things would play out. That will not work for them again.

The numbers tell a very clear story actually. After TFA, the excitement for Star Wars was at incredible levels and the huge carrot of Luke Skywalker dangled in audience faces worldwide. Because of this people came in their millions to see him and an exciting second film, thus TLJ making the majority of its money in the first week. Then reality and word of mouth took control of the situation as it always does and the BO for TLJ dropped off the proverbial cliff in its second week and never recovered.

Disney pulled a trick that only an IP like Star Wars ever allows and history showed that it will not be allowed to play a trick like that ever again. The fact that they forced Theatre owners in to a strangling minimum length of stay contract for TLJ and didnt even issue screeners to the theatre owners before release says to me that they new exactly how things would play out. That will not work for them again.

Really the more I think about, the more I realize that Star Wars fans were kinda stupid, myself included. We should have expected Luke in TLJ. No one thought it was fishy that Luke had run away and didn't tell anyone where he had gone? When I rewatched TFA after I saw TLJ, I was kicking myself that I had not figured it out.

I skipped Solo because I just wasn't interested in seeing it. I don't get to the movies too often so I chose to see Infinity War instead, and I'm glad I did. Solo just looked underwhelming and coming off of the disappointment of TLJ it was an easy pass. And I'm a huge Star Wars fan. Solo had everything against it and pretty much nothing going for it except the Star Wars name.

I don't agree with you.

And I'm not the only one.

In fact, I doubt that I'm in the minority... though we can't be sure of that either way. Had you said "at the minute Star Wars is broken IN MY OPINION" I'd have nothing to say.

I don't mean to quarrel with you...only to point out that just because someone says something is broken doesn't make it so for everyone else that doesn't share that opinion.

:facepalm

Just gonna re-quote this:

Satisfying according to whom?

This really is the core of it... you don't have to be satisfied with it. Nobody does. But if your position is that you weren't satisfied with it, at least accept that others don't necessarily share that view, and so don't say the *movie* was unsatisfying...say it didn't satisfy *you*. This lets people know that it didn't land with you, but you aren't trying to convince them why they should also dislike it.

It's always great when someone in a thread assumes the noble mantle of Captain Obvious so that they can point out to someone else expressing an opinion that what they say is just their own personal opinion, and not necessarily shared by all. Of course it is. Good grief.

Or maybe you weren't being obvious. Maybe you really think that the opinion I expressed—that the OT characters could have been handled in a more satisfying way—was an isolated one. Are some folks ok with Han leaving Leia and returning to the life of a disreputable smuggler, and then dying? Maybe. Are some ok with Luke having become a hopeless hermit that resists multiple appeals for help, and then dies? I guess.

But to imply that those who feel otherwise are somehow isolated in that thinking (in which case I would suggest you re-read the thread), or need to qualify the disappointed opinions they express on a website so as not to influence the opinions of others (GASP, the horror if that happened), is ridiculous. I get it, you were fine with the choices made. I was not. And I'll express it any d@3n way I please. I certainly don't need a patronizing lesson on what I should have said. I said exactly what I meant, and if necessary and appropriate, I will say it again.

I'll add just a bit this time. Kristen, when someone's post mentions objective metrics such as the box office return, marketing budget, age of the primary actor/actress, etc., then it is understood that they are representing this information as FACT.

In all other cases, when people make statements like "Luke's character was treated poorly in TLJ," "Star Wars is broken and has lost its direction," "Disney is in crisis mode," etc. it is understood that these subjective viewpoints are the specific OPINIONS of the poster, and there really is no need to consistently and constantly admonish people for not labeling them as such each and every time they express a view.

Seriously, you've become like that judge played by Ana Gasteyer in "The Good Wife" that forced every lawyer in her courtroom to end every statement with "in my opinion."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back