Star Trek TOS Desktop Viewer Build

Captain Dunsel

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I finally got around to finishing up the main body build of this project and thought I would share some pics...

This was a great kit I picked up from REL57 over at the TPZ.

The main body of the build is wood (like the originals) with the monitor mounted to a base via a lazy Susan which allows it to rotate freely.

A lot of time was spent puttying, sanding, priming (multiple layers), wet sanding etc. to get this right.

The milk-plex screen is held on by magnets to allow access to the interior of the screen area. The switches are functional but I have not yet added any electronics (which will be a simple bulb akin to the originals).

This was a very well-designed kit and a lot of fun building up!

F2FD938A-044D-40B6-8CA3-6AFE61A2F2C3.jpeg1DF6E2B7-58D8-4DE4-BA05-F8093404862F.jpeg82120EBE-DE58-43A4-BF9A-8C02FF5DF99B.jpeg8B0E96DB-DC4B-4EC5-8689-D937A9642FB6.jpeg52582101-7541-4741-81A9-A142D9FD5900.jpeg2D712677-6C88-4078-A187-5F739977015E.jpeg

Last edited:
I love this! Two questions: what does a kit cost? Also, any chance the screen area can fit an iPad?

Any chance of being able to get the plans, I have all the parts to make it work for real and would like to build one.

These data disks actually work and have 32 GBs of space. I have monitors and mini computers as well.

Attachments

• IMG_5276.jpg
    IMG_5276.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 289
Any chance of being able to get the plans, I have all the parts to make it work for real and would like to build one.

These data disks actually work and have 32 GBs of space. I have monitors and mini computers as well.

Would you also mind sharing your designs for the data disks? They sound good!

Would you be the person with the kits for the computer?

I worked a lot on creating the data disk, it was built using a 3D printer. Then I needed to get a USB key blank, which I ordered from a manufacturer. the next part is the USB extension cable. I tried several cables but a lot of them do not work because I needed to be able to cut away a part of the protective covering over the USB plug to fit the slope of the data disk. Then creating the slot to fit in the base and have a method to hold the USB extension cable, that took a lot of trial and error to get the cable to sit perfectly in the slot to be able to plug the disk in and connect.

I tried several times to get the kit for the cabinet but I was unable to, plus it may not work with a real monitor. The monitor I use is custom made for me, (had to buy 30 to get them customized, but it was worth it I have used 15 of them so far). So I built my own cabinet and fitted it with a mini computer, one of my monitors and the data disks, and it really works. I think it is the first one with everything working. Still a couple of minor things to work out but for the most part it is complete. Even the data disk works and holds 16 GBs, which could be made much larger up to 512 GBs.

It used a Z83 mini PC with window 10 and we wrote our own screensaver to add some more features.

I am working on a video, but for now here is an Image.
IMG_5372.jpg

I would be really, really interested in this. I am doing a build with an Intel NUC. The NUC itself will be in a model of the USS Enterprise. I already have found a Start Trek keyboard from 1995 and a phaser mouse (I know both are from TNG but it is what I could find to work with). I would like to put a monitor in one of these desktop viewers.
Are the kits still being sold? Could be hard getting one to Switzerland. Any plans or similar would also be appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

I would be really, really interested in this. I am doing a build with an Intel NUC. The NUC itself will be in a model of the USS Enterprise. I already have found a Start Trek keyboard from 1995 and a phaser mouse (I know both are from TNG but it is what I could find to work with). I would like to put a monitor in one of these desktop viewers.
Are the kits still being sold? Could be hard getting one to Switzerland. Any plans or similar would also be appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.
Ive been looking into this myself. I think the best option is a complete custom build to suit your monitor etc. I hope to build one of these next year powered by raspberry pi, that's the approach I'll be taking, and probably 3d printing most of it.

Ive been looking into this myself. I think the best option is a complete custom build to suit your monitor etc. I hope to build one of these next year powered by raspberry pi, that's the approach I'll be taking, and probably 3d printing most of it.
Hi. Problem is I want a 13-15" monitor and my 3d printer build plate is just not going to be big enough. I was hoping to get the plans or a kit so I could at least the large parts with MDF. If you make your own plans and want to share it would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Hi. Problem is I want a 13-15" monitor and my 3d printer build plate is just not going to be big enough. I was hoping to get the plans or a kit so I could at least the large parts with MDF. If you make your own plans and want to share it would be much appreciated. Cheers.
I'm currently making a 2/3 scale version of the type 3 computer, same problem, my printer isn't big enough. I created the whole model in tinkercad, and then broke it up into pieces and I'm printing it in about a dozen pieces. it's coming together quite well. I see no reason why the desktop monitor could not also be constructed the same way.

Does anybody know what rocker switches are used on this? It looks like NKK SW3821 might be a good switch. Could somebody please post a couple measurements, notably the triangle base lengths? Thanks!

Last edited:
I am working on the plans now. The whole thing can be made from MDF. I also have the Monitor that fits the unit. I had the monitor custom made from the factory. The reason is to get the frame equal width all around the screen. I just painted the frame blue and it fits right in. The monitor is also touch screen and has speakers built in, and is duel powered, US plug 12V, 110V. I made the slot in the front to fit the standard TOS data disk and the data disk actually has a USB key built in so it actual works.

I still have some monitors left, blank USB keys, and the models needed to print the parts. I am thinking of selling the kit and the plans for about $250 US.

I should have the plans done tomorrow. Below are some images, sample image from the plans and the custom monitor.

1603414785659.jpegMonitorSm.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back