Obi-Wan ANH Costume Bladed Lightsaber: Video

Wow James ... you never seem to stop impressing me ...
this is so old-school yet very effective ... not to mention
rather cheap, any chance this stuff is available in Europe?

-Chaim

This is so freakin cool!!!! When you let your finger off the flash, I had one of those smiles that you just can't stop doing. Those pictures look so sick!!! I hope to see someone do some red sabers and see if the effect is just as good. Your next convention pictures are gonna be so AWESOME!!!

THAT is a great way to light 1 of these up in daylight or as stated conventions and parties. You'll never run out of batts. just saw this, found a place within the USA that has a bunch of different colors :

Reflective Tape

seems to be good pricing too.
Hope this helps out a little more :)

This idea is very good,especially for outdoor duel filming,with lots of daylight,using a big light close to camera.
A fx saber,even with a 100w led blade won't get bright in daylight,especially with sun,like today,will just appear as a white pastic stick...
So I bought colored tcss blades,to have color under daylight,to have easy rotoscoping.
But you idea is far better,because used in good condition,it can even give a realistic look,maybe without any rotoscoping...

These days,I think about many ideas for "easy fx" for filming:reflective tape as yours,fx saber but shor blade,or without blade,duelleble versions,springing blade with magic cane,for instant blade opening,depending on conditions,both can be interesting...Especially for a obiwan saber,match all filming conditions,it's a really hard challenge.

My freaking mouth dropped open when you took your finger off that flash. That's one of the best practical effects I've seen in a long time.

Bravo, sir. :cool:thumbsup

Great job, James :thumbsup

Have you taken any non-flash pictures, outside, on a sunny day? I'm just wondering if the effect is the same under the sun, or does it require a really intense, focused light source.

-Fred

Great job, James :thumbsup

Have you taken any non-flash pictures, outside, on a sunny day? I'm just wondering if the effect is the same under the sun, or does it require a really intense, focused light source.

-Fred

The retro reflective material reflects light back to the same direction it received it, so no matter how bright the light if it's above the camera the effect won't show in a picture. The material is very shiny and will show as a light blue under bright light, but it will only have that lightsaber effect with a flash or light next to the camera lense.

I was using my iPhone5 for both the movie and the pictures and the 'flash' is just a tiny white LED, not as bright as a regular camera or a professional camera flash.

The retro reflective material reflects light back to the same direction it received it, so no matter how bright the light if it's above the camera the effect won't show in a picture. The material is very shiny and will show as a light blue under bright light, but it will only have that lightsaber effect with a flash or light next to the camera lense.

I was using my iPhone5 for both the movie and the pictures and the 'flash' is just a tiny white LED, not as bright as a regular camera or a professional camera flash.

interesting.
it's easy to see how it can be when you drive by the night with full power lights.....even during daylight,reflective tape can be very very bright

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back