Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

I did actually, and it doesn't surprise me that just like with Star Wars fans the writer defends people like Zoe Quinn who is absolutely deplorable and shames gamers that dare to take issue with her and the media's unethical practices.

Zoe Quinn is right up there with Anita Sarkeesian. Both of them are disgusting trash.

What's the difference? Did they need to spell out some exotic name for the fuel? (Dilithium crystals?)

IMO that sort of thing can hurt believability as much as help it. It draws attention to elements that the audience is going to inevitably think a little bit too hard about. Whereas "we're running out of fuel" is something people can instantly relate to without further dwelling on it. The characters in the story wouldn't have thought any harder about it than "fuel" so that's all we really need to know.

It is exactly the kind of thing that George Lucas might have done in a SW movie 35 years ago.

And that's fine, but it should have come up earlier if fuel was even a concern. You can't just throw something as fundamental as that into the mix for "plot" reasons while ignoring it for 40 years. It's the same reason midichlorians failed, because it was stupid and thrown in without any precedence. Once you have an established universe, you can't arbitrarily change things down the road.

All I got from that article was that I'm a sexist pig for not liking the new Ghostbusters, and the writer apparently did zero research about Gamergate.

And that's fine, but it should have come up earlier if fuel was even a concern. You can't just throw something as fundamental as that into the mix for "plot" reasons while ignoring it for 40 years. It's the same reason midichlorians failed, because it was stupid and thrown in without any precedence. Once you have an established universe, you can't arbitrarily change things down the road.

I think that there were more substantive reasons than that for the midichlorian failure. Topic for another thread, no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't know how that article is calling critics of TLJ bigots or sexist. I'm extremely critical of Disney's Star Wars but I didn't get the sense that I was being called those things. The only time I've been labeled as a bigot was on the RPF because I dared to propose it was wrong to harass Kelly Tran online.

I think that there were more substantive reasons than that for the midichlorian failure. Topic for another thread, no doubt.

It was a stupid idea never before mentioned in any of the previous films, fundamental to the very understanding of one of the central concepts of the entire franchise. It would be like J.K. Rowling deciding that magic really works through human sacrifice. It would never fly. The same is true with Disney deciding, after 40 years of films, books, comics and other media, that spaceships suddenly need fuel, because Rian Johnson is an uncreative ******. And you wonder why people think it's so stupid?

Anyone else notice Solo is still in theaters?

I fully believe if they announced KK actually stepping down ticket sales would see an odd rise. I know I would go see it 5 or 6 times personally. Yes I am one of those people who feel TLJ is the worst movie they have ever seen in a theater. And until I know there is a change... I’m done paying to see any new Disney/LFL stuff.

Its not in any theatres in Australia anymore as far as I can tell but I agree, If they just got it over with and announced her moving on I would at least buy the DVD. From the two or three pages of this thread that actually follow the topic, it seems she has very little support. I`m positive that if they do fire KK, there wont be anyone who holds a boycott of Star Wars because of it, if they dont, millions will, again.

It was a stupid idea never before mentioned in any of the previous films, fundamental to the very understanding of one of the central concepts of the entire franchise. It would be like J.K. Rowling deciding that magic really works through human sacrifice. It would never fly. The same is true with Disney deciding, after 40 years of films, books, comics and other media, that spaceships suddenly need fuel, because Rian Johnson is an uncreative ******. And you wonder why people think it's so stupid?

Sorry but I'm just not seeing a problem.

When did the topic ever need to come up before? Let's assume the standard Star Wars power source is something very energy-dense, like a miniaturized nuke. A small ship could easily carry enough to not need refueling all the time. The rebels hardly ever flew anything besides small ships in ep #1-6. The Empire/First Order has always been so wealthy & infrastructured that we can presume they didn't run short at any critical times.

Maybe there are multiple different ways to power a starship and the rebellion sometimes has to turn to less ideal ones. Think of a 20th century outlaw organization having to convert their ships to burn coal or use diesel submarines because they don't have the money for oil/nuclear.

Maybe it's not the fuel that the rebels couldn't afford, but the ships. Maybe they couldn't afford to buy only ships that run on the best source of power for a military operation. Maybe the civilian stuff runs a different fuel that needs refueling more often.

There are lots of ways to rationalize the fuel problem in TLJ. We cannot have new SW adventures without ever having any new obstacles like this.

Spaceships don't need fuel? What poppycock is this?!?! We see spaceship fuel come up tons of times in the OT.

Spaceships don't need fuel? What poppycock is this?!?! We see spaceship fuel come up tons of times in the OT.

Not unless it has been established within the specific lore of the Star Wars universe. Show us one canon source where they have even mentioned it before. Just one.

Not unless it has been established within the specific lore of the Star Wars universe. Show us one canon source where they have even mentioned it before. Just one.

Prior to TLJ? Because if not, Solo kind of had that as a less important part of the plot. Harvesting the raw form of fuel, then refining it. It made much more sense than the Codebreaker bit in TLJ.

The Falcon was connected to a refueling line in docking bay 94 (and oddly enough in the Death Star hangar as well). The Rebel fighters were fueled up prior to the battle of Yavin. In TESB Han says "Let's hope we don't have a burnout", which means run out of fuel. Every machine needs a power source, running out is never an issue until it happens.

I have many problems with the hack job that is TLJ, but I'm not going to criticize it for what works. Running out of fuel is a legitimate issue, it was just poorly written.

They are fueling the X-Wings/Y-wings right before the battle of Yavin.
When princes Amidala was escaping, the hyperdrive was hit and leaking fuel that they needed to get a new one (plot devise).
The ships needing fuel (or that they can thus run out) shouldn't be something that needs to be explained to the audience.

EDIT:
They refer to TIE Fighters as being short range fighters and could not have gotten into space this far by itself, also implying that fuel/engines are limited, especially for the smaller ships, thus all ships are not created equal in fuel consumption, having lightspeed, or cloaking devices.

The argument that TLJ using "running-out-fuel" as a plot devise was a bad one based on the fact it wasn't established (ie used before) in the current SW universe lore, is misguided and stagnates future conflicts to reused story lines (i.e Death Star I, Death Star II & Death Star III). That said, TLJ using running-out-of-fuel was a bad plot devise but for other reasons that have already been mentioned.

Last edited:

Hmmmmm I'd hate fuel bill for the death star. Surely such a thing could even bankrupt the Empire.

Your right, its a robbing Peter to pay Paul situation for Disney but Peter is in a much better situation than Paul is, in fact Paul is in serious trouble.

Star Wars fan base is shredded and its most recent installment has lost a huge amount of money. Marvel on the other hand is now a Titan, its fan base seemingly united and the profits seem unstoppable. Do you risk the success of one to restore another? I say yes, The likelihood of Marvel falling over would seem slim as they seem to have a well laid out plan for years to come.

I am biased though in that I love Star Wars and only really care for the Captain America movies so there is that. Perhaps Feige would only need three to five years to establish a positive road map for Star Wars and then return. At the end of the day, it pays to be Kevin Feige at the moment.

Destroying a highly successful sure thing to gamble on an unknown is folly. Feige got where he was due to his knowledge of comics. And that's where he belongs and very obviously so. I hope Disney never makes the utterly foolish choice of trying to have him run SW.

SW is in it's current shape because KK is a career producer. She has never demonstrated a love for the franchise during her long career. She is treating it like she would any other project. Disney should just find an analog to Feige. Someone who loves SW above all else, to run LF.

Destroying a highly successful sure thing to gamble on an unknown is folly. Feige got where he was due to his knowledge of comics. And that's where he belongs and very obviously so. I hope Disney never makes the utterly foolish choice of trying to have him run SW.

SW is in it's current shape because KK is a career producer. She has never demonstrated a love for the franchise during her long career. She is treating it like she would any other project. Disney should just find an analog to Feige. Someone who loves SW above all else, to run LF.

To say that Marvel would be destroyed if Fiege left is a little extreme I think. If he woke up tomorrow morning and decided he wanted to cycle around the world for five years Marvel would still go on. With Infinity War 2 pretty much ready to go the timing is perfect. Just finding an analog is much easier written than done as well, how many other people have the credentials that he has right now in terms of overseeing the worlds most successful franchise? The best in their field are head hunted everyday of the week. Star Wars deserves the best in the business.

Just loving Star Wars is not enough to get the ship righted either, which he claims he does so there`s half the battle covered.

Reactions: JPH
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back