New Voyagers Omni

The test prints of the fine details on the dials failed to print on 3 out of 4 of the dials. Only the month dial printed.
Even the test print on the month dial was not up to par. So that is another thing that needs rework.
\ IMG_0549.JPGIMG_0548.JPGIMG_0547.JPGIMG_0546.JPGIMG_0545.JPGIMG_0544.JPGIMG_0543.PNGIMG_0542.PNGIMG_0541.PNG

The test prints of the fine details on the dials failed to print on 3 out of 4 of the dials. Only the month dial printed.
Even the test print on the month dial was not up to par. So that is another thing that needs rework.
\

What is the size of the largest dial that won't print ? Worst case scenario and somebody REALLY wants one, you might be able to print in high def steel from iMaterialise and get it gold plated after printing.

For Shapeways, brass embossed detail has to be .35 mm wide and deep.
For iMaterialise, high detail steel can have detail at .1 mm wide and deep.

Big difference, but high detail steel only prints at 40mm max size width and height.

What is the size of the largest dial that won't print ? Worst case scenario and somebody REALLY wants one, you might be able to print in high def steel from iMaterialise and get it gold plated after printing.

For Shapeways, brass embossed detail has to be .35 mm wide and deep.
For iMaterialise, high detail steel can have detail at .1 mm wide and deep.

Big difference, but high detail steel only prints at 40mm max size width and height.

I know what needs to happen. I have to photo engrave a plate of brass with all the engravings, machine out the dials and hand polish them. The engravings are just too tiny to 3d print in any material. It's not high enough resolution.

What about the silk screening of the numbers and months on the dials is that easier?
Ease is not the issue. Durability is. Printing the numbers is not a good option since the dials are constantly touched with your fingers. The printing will scratch right off. Engraving is the only solution.

Those pics are pretty inspiring! Keep it up Rob. All you need is one working model to be able to go back and tell your self how to avoid all the hang ups you've had in the process! :)

I agree with others: these trial runs look very promising. I still have my Omni from Rob's original run and I am looking forward to adding to adding this one to my collection!

Have you seen the Omni up for auction on eBay now? It has a very thin, shallow lid with a bizarre hood-like cut-out addition to make room for the magnifier beneath.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162423754973?ul_noapp=true
I've actually seen this one before. Someone hand made it a very long time ago. I saw other photos of it when I was researching the omni I made in 2003. There are about a half a dozen custom hand made ones (not the same as that one) floating around. I love seeing these one of a kind labors of love pop up. I know how much work goes into this prop, and to do one all by hand is pretty special.

I've actually seen this one before. Someone hand made it a very long time ago. I saw other photos of it when I was researching the omni I made in 2003. There are about a half a dozen custom hand made ones (not the same as that one) floating around. I love seeing these one of a kind labors of love pop up. I know how much work goes into this prop, and to do one all by hand is pretty special.

Still a cool project... hope you can get it all going in some sort of kit down the line.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back